PDA

View Full Version : Anxious about getting back to work

diamondgeezer65
19-09-17, 23:02
Hi,
I lost my job back in December 2016 due to anxiety/depression and been out of work since . I am a lot better now depression wise although I am still suffering from anxiety. Due to my financial situation I really need to get back into work soon but I've been off so long just the thought of it is ramping up my anxiety. I worry that it will make me worse again or I won't be able to cope. Has anyone else been in this situation and had a positive outcome?

braindead
20-09-17, 09:38
What was your job have you got a trade, i was a bricklayer a worked with anxiety and depression all my life . i went self-employed has soon has i could i couldn't even sit in a van full of guys to a job it screwed my head i would drive my own car to work. That said anxiety fueled my body i layed bricks faster than anyone i no , I made megga money on site and private self-builds for punters i was the only guy that had a brand new car every 3 years to drive on a shitty building site. BUT at the weekend i was wrecked and got pissed out my head Friday night till Sunday and start all over again. I had anxiety attacks at work even mini breakdowns i would stick my head in a 50 gallon water tub at work . one day i knocked me spark out the water temp was freezing and my head was boiling. the guys new there was something wrong with my but i made friends with any and everyone . What i saying is find your own way to make it work:wacko::wacko::wacko:

pinkpiglet
20-09-17, 11:44
Hi!
I struggled with work and anxiety because of the depersonalization symptoms more than anything. I don't know how I did it but I got myself a job at a call centre for Polar Ford, explained all about my anxiety in my interview and said I needed this opportunity to help overcome my anxiety and help with the bills. Luckily the boss was an understanding lady and she took me on. It was work like I Had never done before, it was a small call centre with about 12 staff and it was evenings so all contact was phone based. I could be anyone I wanted to be on the end of that receiver and the customers need never know about my anxiety. It wasn't easy, just been in that office made me anxious but it was something I had to overcome and I honestly believe that getting back to work was the push I needed. I also did some work with the local youth team for the council, doing drama sessions to help educate young people on issues that might effect them. Looking back, I really don't know how I did this but I was in this position when my anxiety first started so I just kind of got on with it and it was only a few evenings a week. All I can really suggest to you is to find something that you feel you can cope with, something that will not put you too much out of your comfort zone. I work nights now, and have done for 8 years since I buried my anxiety away but I reckon doing day work now would push my boundaries and it wouldn't be good for me. Have you considered a call centre? working from home? what did you do in the past? xx

diamondgeezer65
20-09-17, 17:40
Thanks for the replys. I was a forklift truck driver but unfortunately my licence expired last month and I haven't got the money to renew it at the moment. I'm pretty flexible with what work I would do just need to get back on my feet for now.

braindead
20-09-17, 18:14
Thanks for the replys. I was a forklift truck driver but unfortunately my licence expired last month and I haven't got the money to renew it at the moment. I'm pretty flexible with what work I would do just need to get back on my feet for now. you last employer sacked you so the fork truck game is a no go with no license of reference, you could do anything if your not skilled, there is only you stopping you.:wacko: