PDA

View Full Version : Fermenting food hobby triggering contamination OCD

vicky23
20-09-17, 14:40
Hi all,
So I got interested in the process of fermenting vegetables, the basic idea being that you mix salt with vegetables and it creates an acidic environment so that the good bacteria outweigh the bad and it preserves the veg.
I got a book and researched quite thoroughly but the problem I'm having is that it seems my OCD/health anxiety is coming up with all these worries about poisoning myself with the stuff I'm making.

I've only been making variations on sauekraut at the mo, I know the theory on why it is safe but the ocd keeps finding ways to make me worry every time I make a batch. As an example, yesterday I was rinsing my cabbage when my sleeve touched the cabbage. I had worn this fleece the other day while doing some wood staining and I *think* I got some on it, I removed the cabbage that I think I touched but what if the chemicals got into the cabbage??
I was tempted just to throw the whole lot out but I pushed through and it's fermenting, I know the anxiety is going to rise again when it's time to eat it.

It's so frustrating that this is something that I am passionate about and enjoy but the ocd is telling me 'this is too risky, too much work, you should stop'
I do feel like maybe I should just give it up because it causes anxiety but then I'm thinking I don't want to let the OCD win!

Any advice?

Clydesdale Epona
20-09-17, 19:37
Defo don't give it up because if you feed into it or allow the OCD to win then it will always dictate no matter how silly the reason is, you've just got to remind yourself that it is very unlikely and even if it did it would be a very low none harmful amount. eat that cabbage with pride and show Mr OCD who's boss! I hope its delicious :) x

All the best :hugs:

vicky23
22-09-17, 11:06
Thank you! That's how I was feeling but it's good to get a second opinion

:flowers: