PDA

View Full Version : Positive thinking ideas?

Chris X
25-11-04, 23:38
Hi, Where do i start?..Probably one of the hardest things to conquar especially when your suffering the horrible symptoms we get and the thoughts that go with it all.
I remmember one point where i thought i cant carry on with this anymore.I've had too many panic attacks, my body felt weak and tied, and the mental and physical symptoms were just too much to bear. My world seemed upside down and felt i had to come up with a solution to all this. I've tried alot of things in the past and they all do help, some more than others but thought they are all meant to make us feel positive about ourselfs in one way or anather. Apart from learning to relax i set myself a new target which i wanted to carry out for as long as it took. I said to myself for the next two days i will exept my fears and all the symptoms , ive had them for years so two days no focusing on them wont hurt. I basically put myself in a dream like state were i would think of the highlights in my life and began to focus on them. The more i tried the easier it got as my days were usually full of negativity. I found it near imposible at first, basically only lasting seconds, which then became minutes. I was still getting on with everyday things but instead of dwelling on things that destroy me i would pick times in my life that i could smile about and give me joy. Even scenic things that i thought was beautiful at the time , it could be anything, it could be anything you want, it doesnt have to be real, as long as you enjoy what you see. As i found it easier and easier to do this i then tried to put it in reality and nowadays try to see things in a more positive way rather than sending out distressed thoughts.
Sorry that what ive written might not make sense to some people but when i found myself desperate this was the best answer for me and i still use it everyday now in whatever i do. I found the more i put effort into thinking like this the easier it gets and its true, ive noticed a massive difference i myself and how i see things just by switching off sometimes and letting my mind rest with nice things. I'm still working on his method of thinking ad when i do notice the negative thoughts trying to fight back, i just simply take notice and replace them with something worth thinking about.
This is my best method at the moment and can put my hand on my heart and say together with my relaxation tapes and positive outlook ive got rid of 80% negativity though constant practice which seems to get easier and easier to do. I refuse to let the negativity rule my positive mind as i found this was my downfall and is probably everyones when it comes to anxiety and depresion.
i Opologies for going on so much, i got carried away there! lol.
Would love to hear what anyone thinks of what ive written, thanks, Chis

Marc
26-11-04, 07:24
Good post Chris, and thanks for sharing it with us.
Only problem is you make it sound so easy :)

I'm sure it's a good strategy, and guess it works partly in the same way as many of the other tips, ie distracts your mind from the negative chain of thought..
However, it also has the added benefit of actually inserting some GOOD thoughts which has got to help the overall state of the mind.

Will try with this system and see if I can make it work too....
Thanks again,
Marc
:)

seh1980
26-11-04, 12:07
hi Chris,

It's a very good idea!! It's amazing what we can achieve by inserting some positive thoughts into our minds, isn't it? Thanks for sharing!!

Sarah :D

mico
26-11-04, 13:20
Hi Chris

Good Post. Positive thinking certainly does have its merits for people like us, I mean where would we be without it.

It's my opinion that you have to make some kind of acceptance to the situation you're in before you can appreciate what you've got. It's very easy to just think, 'oh, why me, why do I have to feel like this', or, 'why can't it just go away', or, 'why does everything go wrong for me'. Most (probably all) of us have thought like this at some point, I know I have, and still do on occasions (it's an ongoing battle!). But once you make the acceptance that this is the way we are, and that it's not going to change over night, then that is when we can do something about it.

I wake up in the morning and think to myself 'well, I'm not feeling to great at the moment (mornings arn't a good time for me), but I'm going to be positive and I'm going to have a good day whether I like it or not'. And if you're in the mindset that you're going to have a good day, then you will. So, you have a panic attack, that doesn't necesarilly make it a bad day, only when you start thinking that it is a bad day it will become one. A panic attack is a blip on your road to recovery. Everything's positive in the world of positivity. I think I'm getting carried away now :D.

Ok, so not everything is all roses all of the time (but that applies to everyone on the planet). I'm really struggling to describe this actually, but basically those thoughts of 'why me' that I mentioned before are just clouding the positive side to your life. Once you give them up, things automatically begin to change for the better.

Though I still believe, like Chris says, that you have to force (for want of a lighter word) some positivity on yourself. For example, ten minutes on a morning, injecting positive thoughts into your brain, telling yourself that you're going to have a good day will do you the world of good. That's not to say that everything is going to go right in your day though, the problems around you, you can't control, if something goes wrong, it goes wrong. What I'm talking about is telling yourself that when these situations arise, you will handle them, and you will do so as positively as you can.

Positive thinking goes a long way and you can use it all the time, in any situation, I guess the best thing is to just experiment with it yourself.

I think I've went off on one again, sorry :D.

Oh, and Chris, welcome to the forums.

mico

jill
26-11-04, 14:35
Hi Chris,:D

I use this method to and it works for me,
But what I must say is that the idea never
crossed my mind until I found this site.
This site and the special people on here
have pointed me in the right direction to
feeling better and one of those directions
was my thoughts,
Understanding is the key, knowing that no
matter what Mr Panic throws at you he can
not harm you. I am now I would say 98%
better some days I am 100%.

What you have written is soooo true and
you have written it well.
It shows other sufferes that there is light at
the end of the tunnel.[^]

KEEP UP THOSE POSITIVE THOUGHTS CHRIS:D

LOVE JILLXXX

"Every thought you think changes you biochemistry.
You hormones are effected by your thoughts.
Pay attention to stuff that bring you joy.
Look for things the bring you a smile!"

davebrum
26-11-04, 20:18
thanks chris
xx david

Chris X
26-11-04, 22:31
Hi Marc Thanks for your reply and hope you are well. your absolutly right what you said. I did forget to mention that i purposely make plans to look forward to which also helps alot, Thanks, Chris.
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Good post Chris, and thanks for sharing it with us.
Only problem is you make it sound so easy :)

I'm sure it's a good strategy, and guess it works partly in the same way as many of the other tips, ie distracts your mind from the negative chain of thought..
However, it also has the added benefit of actually inserting some GOOD thoughts which has got to help the overall state of the mind.

Will try with this system and see if I can make it work too....
Thanks again,
Marc
:)

<div align="right">Originally posted by Marc - 26 November 2004 : 07:24:08</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Chris X
26-11-04, 22:34
Hi Sarah, thanks for the reply and hope you are well. I also forgot to mention that i try as much as possible to make plans for the future as this also helps to keep my mural higher, Regards, Chris
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">hi Chris,

It's a very good idea!! It's amazing what we can achieve by inserting some positive thoughts into our minds, isn't it? Thanks for sharing!!

Sarah :D

<div align="right">Originally posted by seh1980 - 26 November 2004 : 12:07:38</div id="right">

Chris X
26-11-04, 22:37
Hi Mico, Thanks for your reply and hope you are well. I tottally agree with what you have said and i also try as much as posible to make plans and stick to them as i find i that this way it gives us something to ook forward to which again is a positive thought. (golf addict at the momment) Regards, Chris
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Chris

Good Post. Positive thinking certainly does have its merits for people like us, I mean where would we be without it.

It's my opinion that you have to make some kind of acceptance to the situation you're in before you can appreciate what you've got. It's very easy to just think, 'oh, why me, why do I have to feel like this', or, 'why can't it just go away', or, 'why does everything go wrong for me'. Most (probably all) of us have thought like this at some point, I know I have, and still do on occasions (it's an ongoing battle!). But once you make the acceptance that this is the way we are, and that it's not going to change over night, then that is when we can do something about it.

I wake up in the morning and think to myself 'well, I'm not feeling to great at the moment (mornings arn't a good time for me), but I'm going to be positive and I'm going to have a good day whether I like it or not'. And if you're in the mindset that you're going to have a good day, then you will. So, you have a panic attack, that doesn't necesarilly make it a bad day, only when you start thinking that it is a bad day it will become one. A panic attack is a blip on your road to recovery. Everything's positive in the world of positivity. I think I'm getting carried away now :D.

Ok, so not everything is all roses all of the time (but that applies to everyone on the planet). I'm really struggling to describe this actually, but basically those thoughts of 'why me' that I mentioned before are just clouding the positive side to your life. Once you give them up, things automatically begin to change for the better.

Though I still believe, like Chris says, that you have to force (for want of a lighter word) some positivity on yourself. For example, ten minutes on a morning, injecting positive thoughts into your brain, telling yourself that you're going to have a good day will do you the world of good. That's not to say that everything is going to go right in your day though, the problems around you, you can't control, if something goes wrong, it goes wrong. What I'm talking about is telling yourself that when these situations arise, you will handle them, and you will do so as positively as you can.

Positive thinking goes a long way and you can use it all the time, in any situation, I guess the best thing is to just experiment with it yourself.

I think I've went off on one again, sorry :D.

Oh, and Chris, welcome to the forums.

mico

<div align="right">Originally posted by mico - 26 November 2004 : 13:20:56</div id="right">

Chris X
26-11-04, 22:44
Hi Jill, Thank you for your reply and hope you are well. I'm so glad to hear you are doing well and hope that you keep it up too. I also try very hard to make arrangements and stick to them nowadays as before i had good intentions but the negativity seemed to overpower me and i ended up not doing anything, i used to just think about it and regret never going through with it. I' ve recently decided to change my career and have taken up golf, and also make sure i go on a holiday now and again to keep me looking forward to things, regards, Chris.
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Chris,:D

I use this method to and it works for me,
But what I must say is that the idea never
crossed my mind until I found this site.
This site and the special people on here
have pointed me in the right direction to
feeling better and one of those directions
was my thoughts,
Understanding is the key, knowing that no
matter what Mr Panic throws at you he can
not harm you. I am now I would say 98%
better some days I am 100%.

What you have written is soooo true and
you have written it well.
It shows other sufferes that there is light at
the end of the tunnel.[^]

KEEP UP THOSE POSITIVE THOUGHTS CHRIS:D

LOVE JILLXXX

"Every thought you think changes you biochemistry.
You hormones are effected by your thoughts.
Pay attention to stuff that bring you joy.
Look for things the bring you a smile!"

<div align="right">Originally posted by jill - 26 November 2004 : 14:35:06</div id="right">

Chris X
26-11-04, 22:47
Hi Dave, Thanks for the reply and hope you are well. ,Regards, Chris.
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">thanks chris
xx david

<div align="right">Originally posted by davebrum - 26 November 2004 : 20:18:19</div id="right">

hermit
10-12-04, 17:20
chris,
I think thats an excellent suggestion. Yes we do have real physicall reactions, but mentall thoughts are very powerful. I think your suggestion is wonderful. Thank you for sharing it. A big hug to you, and I wish you peace, health, good thoughts, and lots of smiles and laughter.
hermit

Chris X
13-12-04, 21:42
Hi Hermit, Thanks for your post and nice words, and hope you are well.Take care, Chris.
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">chris,
I think thats an excellent suggestion. Yes we do have real physicall reactions, but mentall thoughts are very powerful. I think your suggestion is wonderful. Thank you for sharing it. A big hug to you, and I wish you peace, health, good thoughts, and lots of smiles and laughter.
hermit

<div align="right">Originally posted by hermit - 10 December 2004 : 17:20:32</div id="right">

c141re
28-12-04, 03:16
Positive thoughts bring positive energy the same as negative thoughts promote negative energy - turn the negative energy you have into postive thoughts, it works wonders for me! xxx

Chris X
29-01-05, 02:36
Hi Claire, i tottally agree with you there though i must say it is easier said than done but it is one of the best ways of moving forward. i'm always making future plans and sticking to them nowadays as before i found it easier to just sit there and dwell in problems which probably caused my anxity in the first place. im so glad to hear that although difficult to always be positive your moving forward by the sounds of things. take care and the best of luck xx
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Positive thoughts bring positive energy the same as negative thoughts promote negative energy - turn the negative energy you have into postive thoughts, it works wonders for me! xxx

<div align="right">Originally posted by c141re - 28 December 2004 : 03:16:33</div id="right">

lainey
29-01-05, 10:38
Hi chris

Well done you!

I too, now try and be positive even when I feel symptoms coming I make myself be positive and then they don't make me panic.

I also make plans and make sure I stick to them especially with the kids and then I feel so good for sticking to my plans.

Take care

Elaine x

maxine
29-01-05, 19:44
Hi Chris,
It's really great that you've got the whole positive thinking going on.
I have been trying and currently failing to get my mind to work that way but I will try your suggestion of focusing on the positive things in my life,so thanks for posting your tips, i'm going to give them a bash.:D

Take care
Maxine ( yes the loud one!!:D)

trac67
29-01-05, 20:20
Hi Chris,
Yes being positive is the key to sucess, every night before i go to sleep i tell myself that tomorrow i am going to have a good day, i am going to do what i have planned to do and that my anxiety is not going to stop me. I find that this really works as i go to sleep feeling positive and find that i wake up feeling positive.
Take care Chris
Love Trace:D

tt
30-01-05, 04:27
What do you think of to stop thoughts of your health ie. chest pains or strong headaches or silly thoughts but what if it is real?
If I can do this, I would be 100%. I need a positive outlook for this.

TT:)

Chris X
30-01-05, 21:57
Hi TT, I dont know about you but even though the symptoms vary they are all basically down to anxiety. Dont get me wrong if its excrusiating pain i would say to visit a doctor, but through years of suffering panic attacks and anxiety and belive me i always thought this time it's my heart packing up or that it can be cancer or some other horrible illness that the doctor might have missed , but the truth is its always anxiety.and no matter how many times i rush to A&E or go rushing to my doctor i have now said to myself thats it , ive been tested for everything under the sun and the results are always the same, theres nothing wrong with me ,and that probably goes for you if youve seen your doctor. Our minds play games with us because of the anxiety state building up. Anxiety effects the mind which triggers body symptoms which again trigger our negativity. It becomes a horrible circle we cant seem to get out off which makes us feel hopeless and depressed.
We are our own worst enemies as we just keep feeding the fire with negativity. Once you except its only body sensations and that nothing bad will ever happen to you you can then move forward by learning to relax and concentrate on positive thoughts which i know are the main things to make us better.
Sorry that i make it sound so easy its not especially when your in that circle but you can break it by simply setting yourself a time to just concetrate on the good things in life no matter what it is.
I would think of things like days out i had, or listen to a song that reminded me of a good time i had. I wuld look at a photo that i liked that would reminded me of the day and bring back happy person i was and will be again. I would think of a stream a garden a beautiful sunny day, an oak tree that i could imagine myself sitting under relaxing,
It can be anything you want it to be as long as you are not focusing on your symptoms and dwelling on your misery. Its hell when your feeling bad , but it can be changed. I just found it better to be positive by learning and spending the time on myself to change it. I found it a challange to try and make myself feel better rather than taking the easy route by just simply thinking negative.
I'm still recovering and it does take time, im no way as bad as before and i put it down to effort in becoming positive,by saying SO WHAT to the symptoms, they havent killed me yet and im now beliving they never will, (knock on wood ! ) .Ive learnt to be realistic with my symptoms, they maybe uncorfatable but ill cope. Youve got nothing to lose by changing your thoughts around to positive ones. God ive gone on and on here. YOU CAN DO IT, and sorry if ive been alittle blunt at times but its only because i want to help. Good luck .
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">What do you think of to stop thoughts of your health ie. chest pains or strong headaches or silly thoughts but what if it is real?
If I can do this, I would be 100%. I need a positive outlook for this.

<div align="right">Originally posted by tt - 30 January 2005 : 04:27:40</div id="right">

tt
31-01-05, 02:05
thank you chris, and i appreciate you being direct. I like that and you are so right. the symptoms will go if you stop thinking about them. i need to practise and keep on trying.
Thanks,
I'll bet you have touched alot of people.

clickaway
08-02-05, 00:30
Just wondered if anyone here has tried writing 'lines' (like we had at school!) with us continually repeating positive messages to ourselves.

Our even a life story (positive bits only please!)

Ray

Meg
08-02-05, 05:39
Mantras are great source of self support. Both writing them out and repeating ad nauseum are great as well as recoding them and playing them back at badtime.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Chris X
15-02-05, 22:59
Hi Ray. Great idea. I must admit i did write little notes juast befor i went to bed on things to do and think of the next day which i think helped me alot. I would write things like... today im going to concentrate on deep breathing and when im bored of that im going to spend as much time thinking of only nice things and only look at things that will help me get better etc. I dId affimation tapes too which can be very effective but i found that when i was feeling really bad i couldnt relate to the suggestions and that i really had to push myself to believe them. But if practiced for a while you can see some very positive results eventually. good luck, Chrisx.

clickaway
16-02-05, 14:14
I couldn't handle the affirmation messages, Chris. I didn't believe the reality of them, and so rejected them, which I think also affected the credibility of other things the facilitator said as well.

I believe I will get there, but I don't believe that will be tomorrow morning!

The best positive thoughts for me are:-
doing my hobby
making contact with people
helping out others, esp. those who suffer ~ v. rewarding

I really do think that reading these boards and going to Live Chat gives you some positive ideas that we can relate to.

Ray