PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin effectiveness questions

Talihina Sky
20-09-17, 21:59
Hi to all.
I'm hoping for some information on pregabalin. I should be starting this medication next weekend.
Can anyone comment on it's effectiveness e.g. what does it feel like? I have a diagnosis of anxious/avoidant personality disorder and GAD. My main issues are the spikes of anxiety and panic throughout the day and racing intrusive thoughts. Does pregabalin settle those symptoms? I also have quite severe health anxiety - has pregabalin helped anyone's health anxiety?
Currently on propranolol and diazepam prn.
On a 2 year waiting list for psychotherapy.
I hope this medication will help settle me down! I hate ssri's they leave me with horrible side effects and often increase my anxiety.
Many thanks for any replies :)
D xx

LD50
20-09-17, 23:40
In short yes Pregabalin is effective for GAD and panic. It has a much stronger and wider effect on symptoms than propranolol which I noted you presently take.

Good luck :yesyes:

Talihina Sky
21-09-17, 07:28
Thank you for you reply and good luck 😊

hanshan
21-09-17, 07:49
Hi Talihina Sky - There's a good chance pregabalin will help your anxiety-related symptoms. Its effect on things like health anxiety checking for symptoms is more indirect - if you are less anxious overall, you are less likely to go googling things. What dose are you starting on? I'm noticing doctors seem to be starting people on very low doses. If so, you may need to increase the dose to get a response. Startup side effects are usually much milder than SSRIs and clear within a week or two.

Talihina Sky
21-09-17, 10:16
Hi hanshan thanks for your reply.
The psych I saw last week mentioned starting very low I think 25mg x 2 per day. See my gp on Monday so will get more info then as gp will (hopefully) be prescribing for me. I say hopefully because gp previously said he was unable to prescribe it for anxiety - and psych wanted me to go on sertraline first but I've been on it before and had awful side effects.
Pregabalin sounds great on paper to me - but I know we are all different. I hope it works :yesyes:

hanshan
21-09-17, 11:09
Hi Talihina Sky - I hope it works for you, too. It is a low dose, but there is always the option to increase it later on.

Anxiety7
21-09-17, 23:05
i am prescribed 25mg twice a day, is it safe to take it in one go 50mg?

hanshan
22-09-17, 02:58
Hi Anxiety 7 - It's probably safe to take it in one dose, but two to three doses a day is recommended because pregabalin has a half-life of around 6 - 7 hours. Taking it once per day increases the peak and trough effect of pregabalin in the body. Do you have a particular reason to take it once per day? (Again, this 25 mg x 2 per day is a very low dose - I don't know why the sudden popularity with prescribers).

Anxiety7
22-09-17, 08:28
Hi Anxiety 7 - It's probably safe to take it in one dose, but two to three doses a day is recommended because pregabalin has a half-life of around 6 - 7 hours. Taking it once per day increases the peak and trough effect of pregabalin in the body. Do you have a particular reason to take it once per day? (Again, this 25 mg x 2 per day is a very low dose - I don't know why the sudden popularity with prescribers).

Thanks very much for getting back to me much appreciated!
Decided to take 50 in one go as 25 wasn’t doing anything for me.
This morning I feel relaxed thank god
I’m going to take 50 per day and then in October the doctor will move me up to 150 twice a day which I cannot wait because ssris let me down with side affects
How are you getting on with your Lyrica? :)

Talihina Sky
25-09-17, 18:10
Got a phone call from gp on Friday that pregabalin prescription been done just 25mg twice a day for now, then 50mg twice a day, then 75mg twice a day.
So far, so good. Minimal side effects and actual feel less anxiety already. Headaches have improved, not sure if coincidence, but great anyway. Slept better too it seems.
I'm wanting to get up to therapeutic dose soon as I know it's up to 600mg day.
Anyway just wanted to give quick update - will keep informed over next few weeks how it goes but it seems a nice medication for me so far (I know I'm on a very low dose though)

hanshan
26-09-17, 02:24
Hi Talihina Sky - Good to hear that things are going well. Some people respond well at a low dose. If so, there is no necessity to keep increasing - it's what you feel is working for you. Good luck.

Talihina Sky
29-09-17, 11:05
It's been 1 week since I started pregabalin at 25mg x twice daily. Started 50mg twice daily this morning. Doing really well the physical side of anxiety has REALLY calmed down and feel a lot calmer in myself and more relaxed. Yet strangely seem to have more energy too.

So far this medication has completely lifted my foggy mood and I feel much more positive. ive still had the odd spike in anxiety if there's a bit of confrontation in work etc but on the whole I've had a great response without any side effects other than slight metallic taste in my mouth.

My headaches have completely subsided too - I've not taken any pain killers all week! Didn't even think pregabalin was good for headaches or maybe it's just because my mood feels lifted? Either way it's good news!

Hoping this continues...
Good luck to anyone else starting pregabalin and reading this ��