PDA

View Full Version : B12 defiency and HA hits skyrocket

paranoid-viking
21-09-17, 22:33
So I got a letter from the doctor saying I have low B12 and that I must come to take more blood test. At first; I thought it may be just to lack of thr right foods and drink. But then I do the "illegal" thing, googling and find that it is motstly due to diiseases:scared11:

And worse - that this defiency is found in LIVER and PANCREAS diseases including cancer - my main fear in life! I am crying and is in shock. I was getting better mentaly and not this.

Please bear with me - I am not asking anyone here to diagnose me or to say that I am not sick - but I am kindly asking if there are other people here who had low B12 on a test and it turned out to be due to something harmeless. So freaking scared now.

melfish
21-09-17, 22:40
A vegan diet, too much alcohol, antacids, gastritis ... there are loads of pretty harmless reasons. I didn't see any mention of cancer

Midnight-mouse
21-09-17, 22:40
So I got a letter from the doctor saying I have low B12 and that I must come to take more blood test. At first; I thought it may be just to lack of thr right foods and drink. But then I do the "illegal" thing, googling and find that it is motstly due to diiseases:scared11:

And worse - that this defiency is found in LIVER and PANCREAS diseases including cancer - my main fear in life! I am crying and is in shock. I was getting better mentaly and not this.

Please bear with me - I am not asking anyone here to diagnose me or to say that I am not sick - but I am kindly asking if there are other people here who had low B12 on a test and it turned out to be due to something harmeless. So freaking scared now.

Hey Viking, I understand that these things are really very terrifying when you have the anxieties that we do. Please try and remember that things such as a low b12 can be any number of things that aren't the big C or any other horrid condition.

It still can be a lack of the right foods ect. When are your follow up tests? The only thing you can change right now is the panic and stress, which certainly won't be making you feel any better at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrokenGirl
21-09-17, 22:46
Hi
I had a full set of blood tests done about 6 months ago and it showed up that I was low in B12. I don't know what you googled but please don't worry, it's nothing to do with your liver or pancreas. I had to get 5 B12 injections to get my levels back up again and that was the end of it.
The doctor told me that it's fairly common to have low B12.
Just go back to your doctor to get your B12 levels back up to normal again, whether it's injections, supplements or whatever, and STAY AWAY from google.
It will never tell you what you want to hear - it only scares the s**t out of us.
I hope this helps you a little bit anyway!!

paranoid-viking
21-09-17, 22:48
A vegan diet, too much alcohol, antacids, gastritis ... there are loads of pretty harmless reasons. I didn't see any mention of cancer

I eat meat. Almost every day. And I drink yoghurt every day. And I am too fond of having a drink, but I have cut down considerably; less than last time I did a test and the level was fine. I have acid reflux that got worse over the years and have been a nexium user for 11 years. Gastritis may not be fatal, but harmless? It could be gastritis. One of my grandpas had it. Means I must have that horrible tube down my stomach again right?

Yeah, many harmless reasons. But of course, as soon as you google the worst case scenarios are there.

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:46 ----------

Hey Viking, I understand that these things are really very terrifying when you have the anxieties that we do. Please try and remember that things such as a low b12 can be any number of things that aren't the big C or any other horrid condition. I had an ultrasound last year that showed a little fat in the liver but too little to be considered fatty liver.

It still can be a lack of the right foods ect. When are your follow up tests? The only thing you can change right now is the panic and stress, which certainly won't be making you feel any better at all.

I dont know. I did not really now what B12 was until I saw the letter from my doctor yesterday. I am going to the doc tomorrow for more testing.
I ahve had feelings here and there the last year which could be similar to those found in pancreatic conditions, albeit very mild ones.

Midnight-mouse
21-09-17, 22:51
I eat meat. Almost every day. And I drink yoghurt every day. And I am too fond of having a drink, but I have cut down considerably; less than last time I did a test and the level was fine. I have acid reflux that got worse over the years and have been a nexium user for 11 years. Gastritis may not be fatal, but harmless? It could be gastritis. One of my grandpas had it. Means I must have that horrible tube down my stomach again right?

Yeah, many harmless reasons. But of course, as soon as you google the worst case scenarios are there.

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:46 ----------

I dont know. I did not really now what B12 was until I saw the letter from my doctor yesterday. I am going to the doc tomorrow for more testing.

I ahve had feelings here and there the last year which could be similar to those found in pancreatic conditions, albeit very mild ones.

I have known a good few ladies just have to have the shots or take supplements as mentioned in a previous comment. You will have your answers soon. There is definitely no need to worry until your told otherwise.

Positive vibes,

C

paranoid-viking
21-09-17, 22:54
Hi
I had a full set of blood tests done about 6 months ago and it showed up that I was low in B12. I don't know what you googled but please don't worry, it's nothing to do with your liver or pancreas. I had to get 5 B12 injections to get my levels back up again and that was the end of it.
The doctor told me that it's fairly common to have low B12.
Just go back to your doctor to get your B12 levels back up to normal again, whether it's injections, supplements or whatever, and STAY AWAY from google.
It will never tell you what you want to hear - it only scares the s**t out of us.
I hope this helps you a little bit anyway!!

Thanks. How is those injections by the way? A needle in the arm? Did you feel better? Or did you have any annoying symptoms before this result?

---------- Post added at 23:54 ---------- Previous post was at 23:52 ----------

Diet could also be a cause for B12 deficiency especially amongst vegans and those who generally have a poor diet and I'm assuming that once you go back to your doctors they will just put you on some kind of course to restore those levels so dont stress yourself ive had a look on the NHS website for what causes B12 levels to drop and I didnt read anything regarding liver and pancreas issues.

Hmmmm....it is weird that some websites tend to stress such worst case scanrios. Could wonder if some patient activist group is paying for having this info posted on sites like Healthline and others. Yeah, one should stick to respectable sites like NHS or the sites of the health services in your respective country.

BrokenGirl
21-09-17, 22:57
Thanks. How is those injections by the way? A needle in the arm? Did you feel better? Or did you have any annoying symptoms before this result?

Yeah the injections were just a needle in the arm, quite painless really.
I can't say I noticed many symptoms before or feel much better after but I was going through a really stressful time in my life so I was just feeling pretty crappy most of the time anyway.
The doctor did say that a very common symptom is sores in the mouth, especially sores/cuts in the outside corners of the lips. And also feeling generally tired and run down, no energy.

paranoid-viking
21-09-17, 23:05
When I read the symptoms, I dont really have the worst mentioned, so it could be that I am just a little below reference and that there really is no strong reason.

I mean symptoms:

Weakness, tiredness, or lightheadedness
-well, I feel that a lot; during panic attacks, but I have been like that for 20 years. I am not very tired at all. I am only weak during panic attacks

Heart palpitations and shortness of breath
-not at all

Pale skin
-nope

A smooth tongue
-tongue is fine

Constipation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or gas
-often constipated. Diarreah almost never. Appetite normal. Gas - yeah. A loit. But so I had for yeards.

Nerve problems like numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, and problems walking
-a lot of muscle pains. A lot. And numbness and tinging. No walking problems unless during a panic attack

Vision loss
-nonono

Mental problems like depression, memory loss, or behavioral changes
-depression. You bet! That is the danger. I have always suffered from that so that I could never notice if that is a disease symptom. My memory is fine. Bahavioral is as always. A crazy raving hypocondriac:winks:

So...I have low B12 but almost none of the symptoms listed. Weird right?

BrokenGirl
21-09-17, 23:14
When I read the symptoms, I dont really have the worst mentioned, so it could be that I am just a little below reference and that there really is no strong reason.

I mean symptoms:

Weakness, tiredness, or lightheadedness
-well, I feel that a lot; during panic attacks, but I have been like that for 20 years. I am not very tired at all. I am only weak during panic attacks

Heart palpitations and shortness of breath
-not at all

Pale skin
-nope

A smooth tongue
-tongue is fine

Constipation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or gas
-often constipated. Diarreah almost never. Appetite normal. Gas - yeah. A loit. But so I had for yeards.

Nerve problems like numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, and problems walking
-a lot of muscle pains. A lot. And numbness and tinging. No walking problems unless during a panic attack

Vision loss
-nonono

Mental problems like depression, memory loss, or behavioral changes
-depression. You bet! That is the danger. I have always suffered from that so that I could never notice if that is a disease symptom. My memory is fine. Bahavioral is as always. A crazy raving hypocondriac:winks:

So...I have low B12 but almost none of the symptoms listed. Weird right?

Yeah that's weird. I didn't have many, or any, of those symptoms either. I think that's just more proof that we need to stay away from good old Doctor Google! He really will throw anything up on our screens and we fall for it every time :mad:
Go get your B12 sorted and forget about it then.
You've nothing to worry about :)

paranoid-viking
22-09-17, 01:01
Yeah that's weird. I didn't have many, or any, of those symptoms either. I think that's just more proof that we need to stay away from good old Doctor Google! He really will throw anything up on our screens and we fall for it every time :mad:
Go get your B12 sorted and forget about it then.
You've nothing to worry about :)

:bighug1:

---------- Post added at 02:01 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

I forgot to mention that I also have vitamin D defiency. Both of them:weep:

Leah88
22-09-17, 03:12
[QUOTE=paranoid-viking;1720688]

And worse - that this defiency is found in LIVER and PANCREAS diseases including cancer - my main fear in life!

You are doing what I do.. I call it piecing. You're putting together pieces that your anxiety wants to fit to make a picture of the disease you think you have.

paranoid-viking
22-09-17, 09:56
[QUOTE=paranoid-viking;1720688]

And worse - that this defiency is found in LIVER and PANCREAS diseases including cancer - my main fear in life!

You are doing what I do.. I call it piecing. You're putting together pieces that your anxiety wants to fit to make a picture of the disease you think you have.

So do you have B12 defiency or any excperience with that? If so, I would love tohear about it.