PDA

View Full Version : Constant worry about health

flatterycat
11-06-07, 16:29
Hi there

I have been posting a fair bit recently as I am going through a nasty bout of anxiety (again!). It started this time when I had a pain in my side. The doc did a dipstick and found blood in my urine. To cut a long story short as I didn't have an infection the doc said we had to investigate- 3 weeks later, I have had xrays of my urinary tract, Ultrasound of kidneys and bladder, blood tests and a internal exam. The consultant says he thinks it is "just me" and that there is nothing to worry about. He just wants to do a cystoscopy to check inside bladder. So anyway, having googled 'blood in urine' I convinced myself I had kidney cancer. Didn't eat or sleep. My doctor put me back on Citlopram (I had recently come off it) and it is starting to work. My anxiety levels are lowering and my appetite is back. However I now keep thinking I have cancer elsewhere! My voice has been a little strained recently and I have been slightly hoarse so I keep thinking that's lung cancer. I have had terrible low back pain, especially in the coccycs area, so think I have cancer of the spine and last night was awoken with really sharp pains near my left ovary, which have come and gone since. So today I'm thinking ovarian cancer (linking it to the low back pain). Can anyone relate to all this?

Sarah x

Juliamidlands
11-06-07, 17:09
Sarah, I have LOADS of UTI's and believe that blood in the urine is very common during these infections. I feel absolutely hideous whenever I've got an infection, I know exactly how you feel hun, try not to worry! xx

Amanda3266
11-06-07, 17:23
Hi

Blood can occur in the urine for any number of reasons and sometimes for no reason at all. As your GP says it is sometimes just normal for some people to have this.

The fact that you have had all these tests which have not shown anything is good. Even if you have not had all the results yet I can guarentee that if there was anything wrong you would have heard by now. (Know this from my years as a nurse - anything that needs treating is followed up quickly) An internal exam would pick up any abnormalities in the ovaries (it's one of the things checked during an internal) so if your doctor felt nothing abnormal then all is fine.

I suffer from dreadful health anxiety too and can relate to what you are saying. When I am feeling especially low I convince myself that any little pain is cancer - and like you the area this cancer is in can change depending on the symptoms.

Hang on in there - the Citlopram sounds like it is beginning to help.

imogen
11-06-07, 19:46
HI,Im on citralopram at the moment for health anxiety. First I thought I had ovarian cancer now its throat cancer.Iknow logically its just the old lump in the throat anxiety.So please try not to worry, it only feeds the obsession. Trust your doctor.All the best.I know what you are going through.Love Imogen.

flatterycat
11-06-07, 20:42
Thankyou so much for your support.
It really helps to hear that I am not alone with my fears. I will continue with the citalopram and hopefully things will soon improve:)

spuds
11-06-07, 21:22
My husband was found to have blood in his urine during a rountine medical for a job. He had lots of yukky tests too - but in the end they found nothing. The consultant just said that some people excrete blood in their urine and at other times the stick they test it with is too sensitive.

angstsoup
15-06-07, 03:57
Hi Sarah

I read your post and boy, can I ever relate to it!
I have had blood in my urine for ages- went to a urologist who said some people have it all the time and that for the lack of a better way of saying it, is how they are built. He called it " leaky bladder."
I don't know your age but he said that it is very common in women who are in menopause.
I also have had many many bouts of UTI's- urinary tract infections.
Currently I am supposed to take Macrodantin 3 x per week as a preventative.
As for the anxiety, I have found after having it for most my life, that it will attach itself to anything- for instance I will have periods where everything is related to cardiac fears, then the big C and so on.
It is all part and parcel of anxiety and health anxiety in specific.
I for one do not watch any hospital shows and have been very good about not symptom surfing. Also, if someone starts to talk about illness or worse yet a friend who may begin to scare you with stories, I now try to change the subject or if on phone take phone away from my ear until they are through. LOL. If there is a comercial on radio or TV for illness I change channerls or just shut it off.
NMP has been a blessing to me as so many of us here are in the same boat.
Do try the chat sometimes it is wonderful.
You may also wish to try some thought stoppage techiniques such as inwardly saying " Stop" to yourself while picturing a big red stop sign.
Hang in there.
Best regards form across the pond

sarahxxx
31-01-14, 21:08
doctor called today with urine results e coli bacteria and a little blood she put me on MACRODANTIN however i had a bad reaction to this drug yearsage andso scared to take them again another name for then is nitrofurantion has anyone else been on these and how did they feel plz realy need some replys x

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

sorry keyboards dodgy

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

thank you for the reply soup i can relate to how you feel 2 and a half year ago i lost my son sudden death 5 months later it was my dad then 18 months ago it was my sister and hubby is watching cornation street while am taking panick attacts at the computer as it about haileys funeral i went though the menapause at 40 am now 61 just dont know if i should take these pills again or just leave it and hope it gets better by itself am panicking at the thought of the side affects i did googe bad idea but only because the last time i took them i had to stop as my breathing went bad realy dont know if it was the pills or just me this happened before i lost my loved ones so although ive always been prone to panick attacts it woke me up during the night do you take these pills and if so do you have any reaction from them love from sarah

---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:05 ----------

thank you julie what treatment do you get doc said because it was an e coli infection most of the usual antibiotics wont do any good but theres some horrer stories about MACRODANTIN love sarah x

sarahxxx
01-02-14, 21:55
sorry answered but saw 2 sarahs lol x