PDA

View Full Version : Lymph Node Question

thestruggle
22-09-17, 11:29
Some of you may know I have been massively stressed for the last 6 weeks over this lump in my armpit, well close...in my bra spillage area :D:blush: Well today I'm feeling around and I can feel 3! 2 of them feel the size of a pin head, so assuming normal and it's the one in the middle of those 2 that has been enlarged...but it's gone down dramatically OVERNIGHT! Is this a good sign? It keeps getting bigger and then smaller again. I had a graze on my thumb, that's now healing and looks a lot better today... This enlarged lymph node was getting towards the 1.5cm-2cm size mark but now is the size of the tip of my finger again. It seems to swell after exercise...sometimes before... I couldn't even find it straight away this morning. I know a few of you are knowledgeable about nodes and I don't want to Google anymore :yesyes: (progress, as I'm a Google research addict!)

becca98
22-09-17, 19:22
Stop feeling around ;) leave them till your scan, harder than it is I know but you will only feel more little muscles/lumps you are bound too, the little pin head things are most likely muscles! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
22-09-17, 19:48
I've never heard of someone that can feel a node the size of a "pinhead" :huh:

How anyone can truly estimate size is frankly beyond me. Even my oncologists were making an educated guess based on extensive medical experience. They were off by over a cm when all was said and done and the nodes were surgically removed (they said 4cm and I had two over 5cm) so I take estimates like this with a grain of salt.

Do whatever you can to stop poking and prodding. That will irritate and cause a node to swell. Do it too much and they can become shotty (permanently swollen).

Your doctor doesn't think it's of any concern nor should you!

Positive thoughts

thestruggle
22-09-17, 21:00
Stop feeling around ;) leave them till your scan, harder than it is I know but you will only feel more little muscles/lumps you are bound too, the little pin head things are most likely muscles! Xx

I will try my best...it's so hard to leave it alone and stop checking for changes...even though I know I'll most likely get a scan on Monday lol! :wacko: xxx

When I was feeling around there were 2 nodes I could feel that had a tiny bump...I'm guessing like the end of a very small nail...really didn't feel enlarged or anything! It's the one in between that's up and down like a yo-yo, but still sort of feels tender and bumpy! I wish I'd never fallen down this lymph node rabbit hole because I hate this constant worry... I will try not to check again for at least 24 hours, promise! :yesyes::winks: I'm just concerned about the size fluctuation, maybe it means it really is a reactive node and I'm dealing with something I can't see? My lovely 7 year old son has been spluttering his germs all over me for days now and I don't seem to have caught his cold yet!

becca98
22-09-17, 21:08
I will try my best...it's so hard to leave it alone and stop checking for changes...even though I know I'll most likely get a scan on Monday lol! :wacko: xxx

When I was feeling around there were 2 nodes I could feel that had a tiny bump...I'm guessing like the end of a very small nail...really didn't feel enlarged or anything! It's the one in between that's up and down like a yo-yo, but still sort of feels tender and bumpy! I wish I'd never fallen down this lymph node rabbit hole because I hate this constant worry... I will try not to check again for at least 24 hours, promise! :yesyes::winks: I'm just concerned about the size fluctuation, maybe it means it really is a reactive node and I'm dealing with something I can't see? My lovely 7 year old son has been spluttering his germs all over me for days now and I don't seem to have caught his cold yet!

I really don't think those two lumps are lymph nodes, only because I've never known them that small - I have the same in my neck and it's muscle [emoji5] muscle can feel like that anywhere, so try not to worry about those or feel them just incase you don't want to swell them! If your node is getting bigger/smaller it's a good sign, cancer doesn't get smaller, but remember your head will always tell you they're bigger than they are so if you checked in a anxious state they will feel like 2cm! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmmerLooeez
22-09-17, 21:14
Can I just say, that my best friend has HA and has been convinced she has found lumps in her chest area. When she went to the doctors she found out that she'd actually caused bruising by checking herself so much and had given herself the lumps.

Plus, our breasts change as the month progresses anyway. Even in small ways. Try not to worry, if you've a scan then just try to stop checking until then. I know how impossible it is with HA sometimes, but I really believe you'll be okay.

Lots of love. X

thestruggle
23-09-17, 17:03
I'm trying so hard not to keep checking.. :blush: I have though and node is definitely bigger today than it was yesterday. Roll on Monday for my scan! I've found a big pimple/boil right next to my old MRSA abscess scar that has only just come up and still seem to have that ingrown hair under my right armpit, so praying this lymph node stuff is just in response to some skin stuff or something pulled in the gym and not my boobs! :D A node filled with 'bad stuff' wouldn't go up and down like a yoyo would it?

Now I'm starting to wonder if all the poking has caused a lump! :huh:

Oh and now I have a node either side of my neck that has popped up!

Fishmanpa
23-09-17, 17:39
I can literally imagine you sitting there typing, pausing to poke and prod and typing some more! You've been in this node spiral for some time. Perhaps it's time to seek real life professional help.

Positive thoughts

daisyflower
23-09-17, 18:22
I can feel so many of my lymph nodes, if that makes you feel any better. Can feel a few under each arm. One big and a few pea sides in each.
If there is something wrong, it will grow...and grow...and grow. You wouldn't have to keep feeling it because it would be sticking out clearly, etc. Don't be checking if you can see it either, I can see a few of my neck ones if I'm in the right position and my (skinny) son has one on the side of his neck that's always there that I can literally see from across the room. One dr when I went through a lymph node worry years ago said 'if you have to go looking for it, it's not enlarged.'

thestruggle
23-09-17, 20:50
I can feel so many of my lymph nodes, if that makes you feel any better. Can feel a few under each arm. One big and a few pea sides in each.
If there is something wrong, it will grow...and grow...and grow. You wouldn't have to keep feeling it because it would be sticking out clearly, etc. Don't be checking if you can see it either, I can see a few of my neck ones if I'm in the right position and my (skinny) son has one on the side of his neck that's always there that I can literally see from across the room. One dr when I went through a lymph node worry years ago said 'if you have to go looking for it, it's not enlarged.'

Oh, that really does make me feel better actually! Thank you! :yahoo: If you can feel your underarm ones, maybe that is normal... the problem is 99% of websites say you're not supposed to and there isn't much anecdotal stuff where people say they can feel their nodes and are all normal! I think I read one forum where someone said their armpit ones flare when they have a cold, which contradicts every "medical" website going.. It's smaller than an almond for reference...so I would see it actually sticking out of my skin if it were something to worry about? What your doctor said, I'll keep repeating to myself from now on :blush: I'm going to get checked out Monday anyway, then put all this business behind me for good! :yesyes:

Having another session of CBT this week for my irrational thoughts and panic..

Fishmanpa
23-09-17, 21:20
Having another session of CBT this week for my irrational thoughts and panic..

That's good to hear... Does your therapist know of your participation on the forum? If not, it's very important to discuss it. Reassurance seeking behavior can hinder your recovery.

Positive thoughts

thestruggle
23-09-17, 21:53
That's good to hear... Does your therapist know of your participation on the forum? If not, it's very important to discuss it. Reassurance seeking behavior can hinder your recovery.

Positive thoughts

She doesn't know as I'm only 2-3 sessions in and haven't covered a whole lot just yet, but it has come up a few times that I do seek reassurance from people and that it's not a good idea :) Something to do with someone saying the wrong thing and it will trigger off my panic again because it's not what I want to hear.. And reassurance never lasts long enough anyway!

I guess if all goes well on Monday this will be an important lesson in not always thinking worst case scenario! :blush: