PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else worried about Trump / NK?

BrokenGirl
22-09-17, 11:49
I was always doing so well about this, not letting it get to me. My attitude was that there is nothing I can do about it anyway, and it worked up until now.
The latest in the Trump/NK saga is really upsetting and worrying me.
Does anyone else feel like this?
How much of what we hear and read about is true? Or how much of it is sensationalized?

thestruggle
22-09-17, 11:55
I get like that whenever there's a terrorist attack too... it really makes you think, especially when you see the scenes on the news.. :scared15: You don't know if the media are exaggerating or not quite reporting all the facts..

ServerError
22-09-17, 14:22
Despite all the horror stories you here daily in the news, we live in the safest times in recorded human history. We've wiped out diseases, raised life expectancies and there is actually less war than there has ever been. And you live in Ireland - one of the safest countries in the world with a low rate of crime and a low terrorism threat.

Things like Trump/North Korea and other stuff is largely out of our control, so I wouldn't waste time worrying about it. Just be glad you live where you do.

Dubmom
22-09-17, 15:44
I have to really keep myself in check when it comes to the news and threats like the NK/Trump situation. My step-dad is military and I talked to him about it some and that really helped. I find solace in knowing that there are things going on behind the scenes and military capabilities that we, the general public, know nothing about. Obviously, these secret things would not be broadcast on the news.

stressedanxious
22-09-17, 16:25
Yes , I am
Very scared of this as well.

melfish
22-09-17, 16:43
Despite the gravity of the situation, this quote from Kim Jong-un cracked me up last night:

"I will surely and definitely tame the mentally deranged US dotard with fire."

NervUs
22-09-17, 17:02
Yes, Trump is terrifying and odious. I really think these two toddlers could get into a nuclear war pissing match.

I am also really worried about the health "care" bill passing :-(

melfish
22-09-17, 17:05
Yes, Trump is terrifying and odious. I really think these two toddlers could get into a nuclear war pissing match.

That's the thing. They are both so emotionally underdeveloped, ego driven, and reactionary. It's terrifying.

Fishmanpa
22-09-17, 18:01
Despite the gravity of the situation, this quote from Kim Jong-un cracked me up last night:

"I will surely and definitely tame the mentally deranged US dotard with fire."

That truly was a classic burn! That word dotard is trending all over the net ~lol~

I saw a comment that some one made about it. 'Do'nald + re'tard' = Dotard ~lol~ You just have to laugh, otherwise you'd drive yourself crazy with all the nonsense going on!

Positive thoughts

melfish
22-09-17, 18:11
That truly was a classic burn! That word dotard is trending all over the net ~lol~

I really was not expecting to find it in the dictionary :roflmao:

B3521
22-09-17, 19:00
Absolutely terrified. I'm praying they don't set off a nuke in the Pacific! I'm so, so sad and depressed with the worry.

NervUs
22-09-17, 19:57

LOLOLOL!

BrokenGirl
22-09-17, 21:02
Looks like I'm not the only one so who's afraid of this.
But I can see what people are saying as well - it's out of our control so it really is pointless worrying.
I just got very worried about it this morning when I read a headline in a newspaper about something that Trump said the other day. I don't know why it got to me so much.
Anyway, I think I'll just watch a dvd now to take my mind off things.
Maybe I'll worry about that for a while instead - what will I watch :D

melfish
22-09-17, 21:07
Idiocracy :D

elysemarie123
22-09-17, 21:22
Honestly this has been plaguing me ever since he came to office. I feel like there is this cloud over our country and I keep waiting for the next dumb thing he says.

Just know you are not alone and there is NOTHING we can do to prevent whatever happens.

And for all the folks here from other countries, please know HE DOES NOT represent us Americans. (at least me anyway!).

BrokenGirl
22-09-17, 22:51
Idiocracy :D

I just watched a trailer for that - I'll def be putting it on my to do list.
The president in it seems to be so much smarter than Trump :D

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:45 ----------

And for all the folks here from other countries, please know HE DOES NOT represent us Americans. (at least me anyway!).

I'm sure there are SO many Americans would agree with you there.

We just have to pray and keep our fingers crossed that no harm comes out of this mess!!!

MyNameIsTerry
23-09-17, 02:35

There are some who will but they really aren't worth listening to. And some of those may be pushing agendas anyway.

Anyone who looks at politicians and thinks they are indicative of the people they represent, whether they agree or not, is naive. We didn't think Americans were warmongering buffoons who couldn't point to the country they wanted to invade just because you elected Bush Jr, we didn't think you were all pushing your agendas onto us during Brexit, etc.

I think most people outside of political debating circles laugh, shrug and walk of to do some ironing. People are too busy to care much less be interested.

---------- Post added at 02:27 ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 ----------

Does it have different meanings in the US? It's very offensive in the UK to call someone a retard, really it's offensive to mentally disabled people. I've seen many a US site called liberals "Libtards" though, which is is nasty.

In a 2003 survey by the BBC, retard was voted the most offensive word relating to disability, followed by spastic

Given he was referred to age in this, dotard is more likely a reference to senility. Not pleasent either when you consider the impact of it on the person and their families but given the guy is a murderer and treats his people like poo on his shoe we can't expect him to be nice with his words. Did you see what he called Obama? I won't post it as it's racist.

---------- Post added at 02:35 ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 ----------

I was always doing so well about this, not letting it get to me. My attitude was that there is nothing I can do about it anyway, and it worked up until now.
The latest in the Trump/NK saga is really upsetting and worrying me.
Does anyone else feel like this?
How much of what we hear and read about is true? Or how much of it is sensationalized?

I think a lot of it is the 24/7 media we have these days. We went through a Cold War, real wars, etc so we're not new to all this (I can remember being taught about nuclear holocaust in school and what to do in a 3 minute warning). So, little in the news is actual news and really speculation. The expert speakers must be making their fortunes.

I think we have to remember that the US is a democracy. Trump isn't an emperor and he doesn't speak with a box next to his bed with "fire nukes" on it. If he becomes a problem, they have las that enable them to remove him just as we do in the UK.

Contrast that with NK - a man who could execute you for looking at him funny. Yet much of the media focusses on "unstable" Trump rather than a dictator. It says more about the news to me.

We need to remember that the world isn't made up of the US. I know American presidents like to think they are kings of the world but it's not true and they are in debt to other countries like China like we all are thse days. It's complex and all nations will be discussing how to deal with NK and they all will be against the US starting a nuclear war.

But what I find the most important - rich people want to stay that way. Launch nukes and all rich people become poor & defenceless to the masses. In Mad Max times the powerful are not defined as those with money as they are now so why would the rich want to see the masses raiding their resources and why would they want all that money & gold to become worthless overnight when food, water, etc become the only currency.

hanshan
23-09-17, 03:39
A "dotard" is someone who is in their "dotage" ie a time of increasing physical and / or mental infirmity due to advancing years - perfectly good words that have been around since Chaucer's time. I don't think "dotage" is a particularly offensive word, but "dotard" is not a kind term. A good reply to "rocket man". As long as they are only firing words off at each other, the world is safe. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

MyNameIsTerry
23-09-17, 04:24
A "dotard" is someone who is in their "dotage" ie a time of increasing physical and / or mental infirmity due to advancing years - perfectly good words that have been around since Chaucer's time. I don't think "dotage" is a particularly offensive word, but "dotard" is not a kind term. A good reply to "rocket man". As long as they are only firing words off at each other, the world is safe. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

It's just more sabre rattling. Trump does his share on Twitter so can't expect others to act more statesmanlike. Our politicians do their share of it in the UK, it's often quite immature on both sides.

I think we both will agree it's Kim showing his people he is strong enough to stand up to the foreigners. If he doesn't, his generals might look to someone who can be.

hanshan
23-09-17, 04:34
Also, Asian insults can sound odd when translated directly into English. A fight between two women was reported in the local press in Australia recently. Two terms used that come to mind were "green tea prostitute" and "a barking dog".

MyNameIsTerry
23-09-17, 05:01
Also, Asian insults can sound odd when translated directly into English. A fight between two women was reported in the local press in Australia recently. Two terms used that come to mind were "green tea prostitute" and "a barking dog".

I bet she's full of antioxidants! :yesyes:

The BBC article points out that the original text differ slightly to the translation. The original text points to age more although the mentally deranged bit is still in there.

Given Kim's western education probably cost more than most of our houses, I think he understood the usage. Dotage I was aware of, Dotard I had to look up, no fancy Swiss schools for me.

B3521
23-09-17, 06:23
This is a total nightmare. I can't understand why Trump is doing this. There's no diplomacy or trying to deescalate the situation it's just blustering into a nuclear war for egos sake. I'm so, so sad and shaking at the moment, I could cry with all of this :-(

RetailMoth
23-09-17, 07:11
My father is a retired military man. He knows my fears and tells me to remember this if I'm frightened:

* We survived the Cold War.
* Both US and NK know that if nukes are fired, it will spell disaster for both countries. Neither TRULY wants that.
* If you live in the US and are frightened of being hurt, the US military has methods to spot or stop a missile in mid-air.
* Remember that other countries are fighting this as well. China, Japan, and SK in particular are cracking down and saying "Don't do this."

It's scary, but we can get through it. And it's like it was said on the previous page, rich powerful men want to stay that way, and if something happens, they can lose everything. It's a risk they don't REALLY want to take.

Try to stay calm.

hanshan
23-09-17, 08:36
The suffix "-ard" is often pejorative when applied to a person, eg drunkard, laggard, bas***d (this word is censored!), coward, dullard, dastard, sluggard. However, "wizard" seems to have shaken free from negative connotations. "Retard" is a fairly recent coinage, and its use seems to have put new life into "-tard", with neologisms like "libtard" etc.

MyNameIsTerry
23-09-17, 08:55
Retard can be used in another manner that is perfectly innocent, although I can't say I've ever heard it. The context they become used in can hijack them over time. From how I've seen "libtard" used it is clearly implying the same that retard would, and that's offensive.

pulisa
23-09-17, 08:57
I'm sure the world news will soon be focussed on Kylie Jenner's reported pregnancy..as opposed to the sabre rattling and name calling from 2 men who may think they have power.

MyNameIsTerry
23-09-17, 09:01
I'm sure the world news will soon be focussed on Kylie Jenner's reported pregnancy..as opposed to the sabre rattling and name calling from 2 men who may think they have power.

O.M.G. That's me off to the Daily Mail website :biggrin:

Bruce Jenner, now that would be a story. The Sport would have probably already ran it by now if they were still around.

pulisa
23-09-17, 09:02
O.M.G. That's me off to the Daily Mail website :biggrin:

Bruce Jenner, now that would be a story. The Sport would have probably already ran it by now if they were still around.

Anything is possible with money these days...:D

hanshan
24-09-17, 00:43
Kim Jong-un takes a break from trading insults and warlike rhetoric ...

BrokenGirl
24-09-17, 00:47
I have to ask - what the hell is that stuff??

Kim seems to be enjoying it whatever it is :wacko:

MyNameIsTerry
24-09-17, 02:25
The NK version of Soylent Green? :ohmy:

hanshan
24-09-17, 03:26
It could be butterscotch, but I'm guessing ball-bearing grease.

MyNameIsTerry
24-09-17, 05:40
Shame, his starving citizens can't eat that!

pulisa
24-09-17, 08:25
I thought it was the product of his colonic irrigation procedure..

MyNameIsTerry
24-09-17, 09:24
That's it! Kim & Trump could go for a colonic together, they would come out holding hands. :yesyes:

Extra big buckets required though...:whistles:

hanshan
24-09-17, 14:58
Oh no - there's a whole Kim Jong-un laughing at the coiling goo meme-factory here (interesting name of the website, too):

http://dontpaniconline.com/magazine/radar/the-kim-jong-un-lubricant-memes

MyNameIsTerry
24-09-17, 15:14
Aw, who doesn't like Minions. They could work for him. More cries of "bananas" rather than banana though :whistles:

The choc ice cream one would be great. Bombarding the US with choc ice cream could work too, the McDonald's approach to population control. :biggrin:

B3521
24-09-17, 19:04
I'm confused. It seems we're on the edge of nuclear war yet people are talking about NFL and the usual daily nonsense is going on on Facebook. This is surreal and I'm beside myself with anxiety.

KK77
24-09-17, 19:22
I'm confused. It seems we're on the edge of nuclear war yet people are talking about NFL and the usual daily nonsense is going on on Facebook. This is surreal and I'm beside myself with anxiety.

Life goes on.... What should we do? Cower in bunkers? :lac:

pulisa
24-09-17, 19:50
We're not on the verge of nuclear war

B3521
24-09-17, 20:16
We're not on the verge of nuclear warWe kind of are. :-S

KK77
24-09-17, 20:19
We kind of are. :-S

Then that's been the case since the Cold War and Star Wars Programme ;)

B3521
24-09-17, 20:28
Then that's been the case since the Cold War and Star Wars Programme ;)I wish Trump would STHU on Twitter, he's going to start it. I don't go onto Twitter at all anymore, it's like a full on anxiety app.

pulisa
24-09-17, 20:33
We kind of are. :-S

If we were things would not be continuing as normal. Turn on the TV-do you really think a normal service would be running if the red button was about to be pushed? Do you really think you could post on the internet/ Facebook if the world were about to end? Would anyone be interested in the NFL? Would matches even be played? Would people be panic buying at supermarkets to stock up for the Nuclear Winter?

KK77
24-09-17, 20:33
I wish Trump would STHU on Twitter, he's going to start it. I don't go onto Twitter at all anymore, it's like a full on anxiety app.

I would avoid social media. It's all "fake news" anyway :lac:

pulisa
24-09-17, 20:35
I wish Trump would STHU on Twitter, he's going to start it. I don't go onto Twitter at all anymore, it's like a full on anxiety app.

Trump is being carefully monitored behind the scenes. He's harmless.

B3521
24-09-17, 20:42
I would avoid social media. It's all "fake news" anyway :lac:The military experts on NK on Twitter are terrifying these days.

For the past month I literally feel I'm not going to wake up in the morning. It's causing me major depression now.

KK77
24-09-17, 20:45
The military experts on NK on Twitter are terrifying these days.

For the past month I literally feel I'm not going to wake up in the morning. It's causing me major depression now.

Have you spoken to your GP about all this? Whether the cause of your anxiety is justified or not doesn't change the fact that you are really struggling with this and it's causing you major distress.

pulisa
24-09-17, 20:49
Military experts on Twitter??!! Somehow if they were experts I don't think they'd be wasting their time on Twitter...

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Have you spoken to your GP about all this? Whether the cause of your anxiety is justified or not doesn't change the fact that you are really struggling with this and it's causing you major distress.

I agree with KK on this. I'm sorry you are so distressed by all this.

BrokenGirl
24-09-17, 21:04
I agree with what's being said previously. While I may be a little bit concerned over the situation there's no way i'm letting it take over my life.
At the end of the day none of us can be certain what will happen, with anything!
And IF it was almost certain that we are on the verge of nuclear war, as was said in a previous comment, life would not be going on as usual.
Please get some help for your anxiety. You can't let something like this take over your life. You deserve to live your life without worrying so much about this.

B3521
24-09-17, 23:37
---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:36 ----------

[/COLOR]I see a psychiatrist every 3months for anxiety, OCD, depression and an eating disorder and I've been on all sorts of medication none of which seem to work :-( I've been told I'm "chronically" ill with it. Can't really go back to the GP as there's no more medication they can give me.

MyNameIsTerry
25-09-17, 01:55
This is my test for worrying about impending apocalypse:

1 - can MP's be seen in public?
2 - does the PM look like she is standing in front of a fake set?

:yesyes:

The PM, and some high ranking ministers, were in Japan recently. Would they go there if there was any concern? To Japan of all places!!!

I like to ask hanshan about this because he has spent many years teaching in Japan and I expect he has a good grasp of politics there where the concerns are much higher than here. As he has pointed out before, whilst we may be on the outside China will have plenty of people on the inside keeping a close eye on them.

I can understand someone being very worried if they lived in Japan right now because it's only natural when someone is lauching foreign objects over your country but not here.

As Mary on Googlebox said last week "I should be concerned about this but I just went and did the ironing". Now THAT is being British!!! :yesyes:

---------- Post added at 01:55 ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 ----------

Trump is being carefully monitored behind the scenes. He's harmless.

Military experts on Twitter??!! Somehow if they were experts I don't think they'd be wasting their time on Twitter...

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

I agree with KK on this. I'm sorry you are so distressed by all this.

I agree. Trump can't even get much of anything done in the US let alone start a world war. It's just the media stoking it all up to sell papers as usual.

"Experts" can be found anywhere for a fee these days. Would the PM allow them to tell us all what is really happening? If we can slap a superinjunction on who Ryan Giggs has been bonking behind his wife's back, I'm pretty sure we can arrest these "experts" under some form of legislation, which I expect you understand from your time pulisa, let alone slap D notices on the press which have been round for ages.

Noivous
25-09-17, 01:59
Absolutely not! It's the NORKS who should be worried.

hanshan
25-09-17, 06:23
There certainly seem to be more foreign politicians being photographed with Abe recently. Perhaps its a show of solidarity, like conspicuous military exercises. Abe is also likely to call an election in the next few months, which adds some instability.

Overall, I'd say the average Japanese person is quite worried, but there is quite a "carry on" mentality (not the British comedy variety) among the Japanese.

MyNameIsTerry
25-09-17, 07:30
British politicians are busy talking to Japan due to Brexit too as Japan have raised concerns about us leaving the Single Market but our PM was over there for other reasons very recently.

I'm sure Japan has a lot of international support.

actualWeeaboo
25-09-17, 13:39
tfw i'm so worried about this shit that i'm actively not applying for uni 'cause i wanna stay somewhere where i think is safer, even though i'm supposedly already in a 'safe' country...

tfw i am still deathly terrified to a point where hearing airplanes/helicopters flying outside gives me anxiety attacks...

reading reassuring comments in this thread has temporarily helped a little though, so thank you

korega
25-09-17, 14:15
I actually live in South Korea. My wife is Korean and I've been living and working over here for nearly 5 years.
It's amazing how nonchalant everyone is about it here. It's barely even a topic of conversation.
I would be lying if I said I had no worries about North Korea and Trump. More so for my son who's only 5 months old.

But it's near the bottom of the list of things I worry about.

Noivous
25-09-17, 17:34
There certainly seem to be more foreign politicians being photographed with Abe recently. Perhaps its a show of solidarity, like conspicuous military exercises. Abe is also likely to call an election in the next few months, which adds some instability.

Overall, I'd say the average Japanese person is quite worried, but there is quite a "carry on" mentality (not the British comedy variety) among the Japanese.

My dad...a former US Marine who served in the Pacific Theatre during WWII...always said the Japanese were the most brutal and vicious enemy the US had during the war. Especially in regards to prison camps, doing unspeakable things to the POW's. Look what it took to stop them.

This time we're on the same side thank goodness.

N.

emnemz
25-09-17, 22:29
I'm feeling a little bit sick about this tonight, normally I don't think much of it, however my other half is currently working in California for the next 9 days and I've got in a bit of a panicked frenzy over the last half hour.... he's gunna love his phone call with me in 5 mins!!

Noivous
26-09-17, 01:04
Don't worry friend. North Korea isn't going to nuke California. Both China and the USA are watching them like hawks. And there's a lot more going on here behind the scenes than any of us know.

---------- Post added at 00:04 ---------- Previous post was at 00:01 ----------

Btw...shouldn't this thread be under the "misc" category?

MyNameIsTerry
26-09-17, 02:27
My dad...a former US Marine who served in the Pacific Theatre during WWII...always said the Japanese were the most brutal and vicious enemy the US had during the war. Especially in regards to prison camps, doing unspeakable things to the POW's. Look what it took to stop them.

This time we're on the same side thank goodness.

N.

Indeed they were. Brits and other POW's would agree.

I had an uncle who was a Royal Marine in WWII. When he came back he became a RM trainer as they had to replenish the ranks of those they lost. RIP to them all. Experiencing what they went through must have crammed in many years of what soldiers do these days, talk about young lads going in at the deep end.

Tough blokes, eh?

I've often walked down the street, seen an old man hobbling along with the wife and thought "you could have been a former commando in a war" and felt very privaleged to have grown up now. I've had mates that are ex forces too and I think they would agree on that.

Probably a thread more GAD as it's about the fear rather than the politics.

hanshan
26-09-17, 15:05
Hi ActualWeeaboo - Are you in Australia? There's no way North Korea would target anywhere in Australia, even if they could. Just having a bomb and a rocket doesn't mean you can put the two together and actually guide them to a specific point halfway round the earth, and then not burn up in re-entry. Much easier to aim for an American base in South Korea or Japan. All this technology and know-how must be coming from somewhere - I'm guessing the Russians, but I'm also guessing that there are a few crucial things they've left out.

So apply for that uni course - it will be good to have something else to think about.

I have to say that modern Japanese are very different from those who were effectively brainwashed leading up to World War Two. There's no graffiti, no road rage, little aggression, and no guns. I think drug use is low. Of course, Japanese society has its detractors with some justification, but that's a big and complex issue.

Noivous
26-09-17, 15:57
Indeed they were. Brits and other POW's would agree.

I had an uncle who was a Royal Marine in WWII. When he came back he became a RM trainer as they had to replenish the ranks of those they lost. RIP to them all. Experiencing what they went through must have crammed in many years of what soldiers do these days, talk about young lads going in at the deep end.

Tough blokes, eh?

I've often walked down the street, seen an old man hobbling along with the wife and thought "you could have been a former commando in a war" and felt very privaleged to have grown up now. I've had mates that are ex forces too and I think they would agree on that.

Probably a thread more GAD as it's about the fear rather than the politics.

Great point about the old timer walking down the street, Terry. Often times when someone passes away one might ask...what did he do? Oh. he was a cop...or he was a painter...or she was a school teacher. In a word or two a life is summed up. Of course there is so much more to a life, As you alluded to the man could have been parachuting into the shit on the battlefield years earlier. Or maybe she was a nurse in the jungles of the far east somewhere lending a hand. This is especially true of the elderly...or the forgotten as I call them. Hopefully more people than we think recognize their contribution to we who came after them. A tough lot indeed.

N.

pulisa
26-09-17, 17:53
But for them we may not have existed at all or at least have existed in a very different world. We are all very privileged today but we don't really appreciate this, especially today's snowflake generation.

CleverLittleViper
26-09-17, 20:59
This is the one time I will recommend going on Google. Go on google images, type in "Kim Jong memes," and voila, comedy central. It's hard to be a fascist dictator hell-bent on destruction when people are making fun of you so very much.

unsure_about_this
26-09-17, 21:11
I think it all about mind games

Becazican
26-09-17, 23:25
right now if they gave a sanity test to both leaders i'm afraid north korea would win . trump is out of his mind but so is kim jun(whatever)

Noivous
27-09-17, 01:17
I agree with President Trump 100% on this. There's only one way to deal with a bully. Stomp him immediately. Our last president wss a total coward and that's why this punk in NK thinks he can behave this way.

MyNameIsTerry
27-09-17, 01:36
All this technology and know-how must be coming from somewhere - I'm guessing the Russians, but I'm also guessing that there are a few crucial things they've left out.

Iran maybe? Which brings Russia into the mix but would the Chinese be willing to let them dig in deep with NK now they are becoming such a power themselves?

Give it a year or two and we'll probably have a report saying we've sold him all the stuff! :roflmao:

---------- Post added at 01:36 ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 ----------

Great point about the old timer walking down the street, Terry. Often times when someone passes away one might ask...what did he do? Oh. he was a cop...or he was a painter...or she was a school teacher. In a word or two a life is summed up. Of course there is so much more to a life, As you alluded to the man could have been parachuting into the shit on the battlefield years earlier. Or maybe she was a nurse in the jungles of the far east somewhere lending a hand. This is especially true of the elderly...or the forgotten as I call them. Hopefully more people than we think recognize their contribution to we who came after them. A tough lot indeed.

N.

But for them we may not have existed at all or at least have existed in a very different world. We are all very privileged today but we don't really appreciate this, especially today's snowflake generation.

The elderley take quite a bashing in politics as they get sneered at by the "educatd elite" types. A certain element of the young in politics just seem to see them as being over and should bow out of everything yet they forget they are yet to put a penny in and these people have paid their dues.

I always laugh when I see the media, including the BBC, telling us the current young are in a worse situation than their grandparents, that they will have the least since WWII and that wage increases are the worst since Napoleonic times.

If they ever sat and spoke to someone in their seventies they might learn that despite the wonderous land of milk & honey the media tell us they grew up in, they worked all day & all week just to feed & cloth their families, didn't have a raft of benefits to fall back on (remember the tiny Family Allowance?), didn't have a TV in each room (or even the house), didn't have cars or multiple ones and a holiday was a cut price affair with funtime on a beach having an ice cream. And Xmas was a very cut price affair, no Ipads in the stockings back then.

Ah, that time when people actually worked to earn money to then buy something rather than demand it now and grumble about paying it off on credit. Sure, they had HP but the attitude of the masses was different. I was a child in the 70-80's and I can remember all that and how only a few kids had ther "cool" trainers in school, we all walked everywhere...and we had more fun back then.

There is an issue with rents & property prices which is where things are worse BUT back in my mum & dad's day you got married and moved in with one of the families until you had saved up for a deposit. And...all those rooms weren't filled with TV's, stereos, cars on the driveway, etc.

This is only some young people though. Entitlement has risen. Just as we have some whining about stuff all the time, we have ones protecting us putting their lives on the line and working damn hard to get on. These are the real people you meet on the street, not the ones you see on TV having a nice march about something or other.

When I see the BBC make comparisons to days when people were lucky to have much of anything I wonder whether they forget the whole working class and are thinking of the middle classes? And going further back (like Napoleonic times) I don't think I would have liked being a 5 year old possibly dying in a workhouse underneath a loom or down a mine or in the gutter from consumption when people were starving.

hanshan
27-09-17, 04:35
Hi Terry - Russia in the Soviet era supplied North Korea with much of its weaponry, and I suspect that just went underground after the break-up of the Soviet Union. I'll bet most of those old guys in the general uniforms you see standing around Kim Jong-un in photographs still have their Russkie friends from the old days. The Iranians may well be in on the mix, too, sharing and comparing notes.

Meanwhile, the Chinese are intent on making China great again, restoring it to the time when it was the world's leading economy for a thousand years or so, from the fall of the Roman Empire to Renaissance Europe. Xi Jinping has a new Silk Road strategy (One Belt, One Road 一带一路 ) with land and sea corridors of trade and economic interest stretching out from China through Asia and the Middle East towards Europe, Africa and Australia.

And the middle class life that most people enjoy today really didn't exist before World War Two. A house might have a cold water tap or two, some electric lighting and two power points. Heating was with coal or wood. Refrigeration was with a block of ice brought on a horse and cart. Sanitation was a dunny can. No telephone. This was a respectable life. For those not so fortunate, things were worse (George Orwell's The Road to Wigan Pier and Down and Out in Paris and London are instructive reading).

MyNameIsTerry
27-09-17, 05:53
Hi hanshan,

I might not have explained what I meant as well as I could. I meant standard of living for the poorest today may be measured against the middle class after WWI rather than the working class. The working class had very little in post WWII Britain when we were rebuilding so it annoys me when the media say things are worse now because anyone looking around in a typical working class street can see that's far from the case. Certainly today's middle class, and working class, are far better off as we have so many things to improve our lives compared to anyone including the rich back then.

It's just the medias obsession with finding a possible statistic to create the worse case out of when there is no real comparison e.g. wage rises lowest despite standard of living & real pay being far higher before the pay increase is applied.

Indeed, the Soviets were a supply line and you can get it only carried on. If they are willing to arm nations like Iran why wouldn't they keep their happy NK customers going too. It's not like we don't do the same, we are happy selling to Saudi Arabia to be used in Yemen (which the media are much more quiet about than Syria) and to Turkey even after he started locking people up.

Perhaps we will sell some weapons to Spain since they've just started locking people up for daring to want a vote on independence referendum that Spain keep avoiding? :biggrin:

Haven't Iran also announced ramping up their nuclear plan after Trump's reaction to Kim?

hanshan
27-09-17, 09:18
Hello Noivous - If your father was a World War Two Marine and alive today, he'd be in his nineties, which probably puts you in your sixties, around the same age as I am today (my father served in the Royal Australian Navy, including in the Battle of the Coral Sea and much service around New Guinea, present-day Indonesia, and the Philippines). My father had the usual wartime hatred of the Japanese, and this was fueled by revelation of wartime atrocities. But eventually he let if go, and I can say that there is a joy and a release in that.

B3521
27-09-17, 14:38
I really feel for the people in Japan and SK, Trump seems not to care that there'll be millions of innocent deaths from his actions and probably the West coast of the US. I visited Japan and Hiroshima a few years ago and it's a great country with a terrible past. Being in the UK, I'm not sure how it would affect us. I don't think NK would launch nukes towards the UK but I fear escalation and a world war and even a nuclear winter. I don't know, perhaps that's my catastrophising but it's terrifying. I'm due my first child in February and it's a terrible thing to say but I have lost all excitement about it, only sadness as I don't think I'll ever see it.

Noivous
27-09-17, 17:05
I really feel for the people in Japan and SK, Trump seems not to care that there'll be millions of innocent deaths from his actions and probably the West coast of the US. I visited Japan and Hiroshima a few years ago and it's a great country with a terrible past. Being in the UK, I'm not sure how it would affect us. I don't think NK would launch nukes towards the UK but I fear escalation and a world war and even a nuclear winter. I don't know, perhaps that's my catastrophising but it's terrifying. I'm due my first child in February and it's a terrible thing to say but I have lost all excitement about it, only sadness as I don't think I'll ever see it.

Huh? Trumps actions?

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

Hello Noivous - If your father was a World War Two Marine and alive today, he'd be in his nineties, which probably puts you in your sixties, around the same age as I am today (my father served in the Royal Australian Navy, including in the Battle of the Coral Sea and much service around New Guinea, present-day Indonesia, and the Philippines). My father had the usual wartime hatred of the Japanese, and this was fueled by revelation of wartime atrocities. But eventually he let if go, and I can say that there is a joy and a release in that.

Hello Hanshan - I understand the sentiment in regards to Allied Soldiers despising the Japanese after what they had witnessed (including my dad) and I agree that the sooner any of us can let go of the anger towards anyone the better off "we" ourselves are. But if my father had any hatred towards the Japanese we never would have known it in my house. My fathers statements in regards to the Japanese during WWII were more matter of fact than anger. Though he never really talked about the war in great detail at all. Back then it seemed like guys went off to war, came home, went to work, got married, and went to church on Sunday. Did their duty in other words.

As a matter of fact I never heard either of my parents utter a racial slur towards anyone. Not once. It just wasn't part of the house I grew up in. You're right my dad is now in his 90's but they had me later in life so I'm not as old as you might think...but getting there.

N.

B3521
27-09-17, 17:22
Huh? Trumps actions?

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

Hello Hanshan - I understand the sentiment in regards to Allied Soldiers despising the Japanese after what they had witnessed (including my dad) and I agree that the sooner any of us can let go of the anger towards anyone the better off "we" ourselves are. But if my father had any hatred towards the Japanese we never would have known it in my house. My fathers statements in regards to the Japanese during WWII were more matter of fact than anger. Though he never really talked about the war in great detail at all. Back then it seemed like guys went off to war, came home, went to work, got married, and went to church on Sunday. Did their duty in other words.

As a matter of fact I never heard either of my parents utter a racial slur towards anyone. Not once. It just wasn't part of the house I grew up in. You're right my dad is now in his 90's but they had me later in life so I'm not as old as you might think...but getting there.

N.As crazy as KJUs actions are, he's containable and deterrable. Trumps crazy tweets and speeches are escalating the problem 100x. He's already it seems discounted diplomacy and is on the road to nuclear war which is unthinkable in most rational people.

Sollace
27-09-17, 17:26
The current Nuclear capacity of North Korea is roughly a 160 Kilo-tonne bomb (and this is an optimistic estimate for North Korea). Never mind the fact that a missile fired from North Korea could never reach Ireland, the thermal radiation distance of that bomb is a circle of a roughly 6 mile radius. This is enough to take out a lot of people, but if you live outside the Thermal Radiation Zone, your chances of living are close to 100%. Now, of course, we'd see an Earth shaking shift in the face of modern politics and foreign relations in all countries, and the future would most certainly be uncertain, and this is a worrying prospect- and not to mention that many innocents caught in the bomb blast radius would be killed, but the humanity-ending Nuclear Holocaust type scenario is reserved for widescale retaliatory Nuclear strikes from powers across the world. Right now, there's only really North Korea on one side and America and threatened provinces/Japan on the other. North Korea alone doesn't possess the capacity alone to retaliate globally on a Nuclear Holocaust level, and it doesn't possess the influence to drag the world into it either.

The whole situation is indeed worthy of concern, but as an individual, your chance of directly being caught in the situation is minimal. Those "nuclear heatmaps" you see that show all the locations of Nuclear strikes in the event of all out nuclear war assume a global melt down. North Korea don't possess the capacity for that- so we won't be seeing anything like that in even the worst case scenario here.

Again, it's a grim prospect, but it's highly unlikely you or your loved ones will be caught up directly, even if anything does actually happen.

pulisa
27-09-17, 18:09

You will see your baby and must focus on enjoying the rest of your pregnancy. I know how precious this baby must be for you in view of your diagnoses. Let everyone get on with the sabre-rattling because that's what it is and concentrate on planning for February which WILL happen. It would be such a shame if you allowed Trump and KJU to come between you and looking forward to your baby. I've lived through plenty of world "crises" and am still here to tell the tale. As soon as there is celeb or Royal news this scenario gets demoted..The UK is far more interested in Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's potential engagement and that wouldn't be the case in the face of an imminent Nuclear war.

---------- Post added at 18:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

Sorry, just seen that you will be the baby's Dad-just as important to enjoy your partner's pregnancy though.

emnemz
27-09-17, 21:16
i just keep getting more and more worried. i put it to the back of my mind and then I see whilst checking the other halfs time in California, about California preparing for this to happen as they would be first effected. cue another mad frenzy from me anxiety going haywire. i don't follow politics news etc really as it scares me so I stay oblivious but this time I'm stuck with the issue that I don't understand fully and I'm constantly worrying and feel my family are just trying to pacify me because the other half is still there. 1 week and counting till he is home. can't come quick enough :-(

ErinKC
27-09-17, 21:45
Despite all the horror stories you here daily in the news, we live in the safest times in recorded human history. We've wiped out diseases, raised life expectancies and there is actually less war than there has ever been. And you live in Ireland - one of the safest countries in the world with a low rate of crime and a low terrorism threat.

Things like Trump/North Korea and other stuff is largely out of our control, so I wouldn't waste time worrying about it. Just be glad you live where you do.

Exactly this! It's the 24/7 media that makes it seem like things are getting worse and worse when, in fact, they are getting better and better.

I am not even the slightest Trump fan, but because the media despises him they do take everything he does completely out of proportion. The rhetoric is scary, but the rhetorical threats between the US and NK aren't really anything new. They tested many, many missiles under Obama, it just didn't get the same level of attention. Plus, they know that if they attack the US we could wipe them off the face of the Earth... but we also wouldn't actually do that because it would end up killing the rest of our allies in Asia. The sense I'm getting is that there is a very public pissing match going on, while there is a whole lot of silent diplomatic play happening behind closed doors. The press will not give Trump any credit for any good his team may be doing, so we get left with only the scary stuff. Take everything you hear on the news very, very cautiously. It's in literally no one's interest for anyone to fire a nuclear weapon at anyone else. And, remember, the tensions between the US and the USSR was MUCH worse than this - Reagan was very similar to Trump in terms of his escalating rhetoric, but nothing ever came of it since it would be suicide for either side to start the fight.

Hollow
27-09-17, 22:17
As crazy as KJUs actions are, he's containable and deterrable. Trumps crazy tweets and speeches are escalating the problem 100x. He's already it seems discounted diplomacy and is on the road to nuclear war which is unthinkable in most rational people.

Agree with you mate, Kim Jung Un is a very rational character and is doing what needs to be done to protect himself and his country. Trump on the other hand is under the influence of neo-con Generals and has out sourced US foreign policy to them. However a nuclear war is very unlikely because US and NATO don't attack countries that have the ability to fight back, especially with nuclear weapons.

Noivous
28-09-17, 02:00
As crazy as KJUs actions are, he's containable and deterrable. Trumps crazy tweets and speeches are escalating the problem 100x. He's alre. ady it seems discounted diplomacy and is on the road to nuclear war which is unthinkable in most rational people.

So B3521...you seem to think both The Korean midget and Trump are crazy. Yet you are willing to blame Crazy Trump if the Crazy Midget launches a nuclear weapon. You don't blame the crazy midget for his actions because he's crazy after all. Why don't you extend the same courtesy of blamelessness to Crazy Trump for the same reason?...Namely being crazy.

MyNameIsTerry
28-09-17, 05:16
Trump is fighting just to make any changes to things in his country. If Kim wanted to line up 50 civilians and shoot them on live TV, he could. Who is more controllable? Trump doesn't need to be containable like Kim does for the simple reason he's unable to do very little and Kim knows this. Kim was happy telling Obama where to stick it too and here we are trying a different tactic. Neither will work whilst they have the ability, resources and intention to become a credible nuclear power.

If Kim is so sane then he won't be baited into launching a nuclear attack off the back of a couple of nasty tweets. If he was so sensitive he would have been going ballastic over the ridicule he gets from the Western accounts on Twitter.

Trump can be removed from office anytime if he presents a threat, just as our PM could be in she was, whereas in Kim's world as long as he's got his generals and other supporters, he's untouchable no matter what he does to his people (as shown by how he starves them. Everytime they see his bloated face they must be mad!).

Since Trump doesn't have a box with "launch" written on it, there are many safety protocols in a democracy like the US. But if you listen to the media, you will be hearing all the scaremongering about him starting the next nuclear war. It's garbage, simple as that.

---------- Post added at 05:16 ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 ----------

I think that could be said of a lot of old soldiers from those days. Hatred is only to be expected when you see your mates getting killed. But it's quite heartening to see old soldiers from each side sitting down and talking.

Afterall, it was our governments that went on this course, not us.

My great grandfather on my mother's side served in the Royal Navy in WWI and the Merchant Navy in WWII. He died before I was born. I expect, like your father and Noivous father, he saw a lot that we can't imagine. He ended up a custodian of HMS Victory for some years before age caught up with him and was awared a service plaque made from the timbers of the Victory. Seeing this plaque and his medals, including long service, made me proud as a young lad to have such a man in our family.

What lives they lived, eh?

B3521
28-09-17, 15:40
So B3521...you seem to think both The Korean midget and Trump are crazy. Yet you are willing to blame Crazy Trump if the Crazy Midget launches a nuclear weapon. You don't blame the crazy midget for his actions because he's crazy after all. Why don't you extend the same courtesy of blamelessness to Crazy Trump for the same reason?...Namely being crazy.Of course KJU is insane and the whole situation is his fault but he's deterrable, the US can do what they did to Russia for years and years, mutual assured destruction. There's no other alternative that doesn't kill millions of people and possibly start a world war. Why is Trump calling him petty names and goding him? It makes no sense and is making the situation worse. Flying B1 bombers so close to their borders is also making things worse. NK know they could be destroyed at any instant, by flying bombers so close the US are risking taking a missile to one of their bombers and rapid escalation, it serves no strategic or military purpose, it only antagonises. Both sides need to cool the situation enter talks and set up military to military comms to stop an accidental war. The US refuses to even entertain that possibility which means the only other alternative is nuclear war and most probably the West coast of the States eating a nuke or 2! As much as KJU is evil, Trumps actions are crazy and not helping at all.

Hollow
28-09-17, 20:59
I have to say that modern Japanese are very different from those who were effectively brainwashed leading up to World War Two. There's no graffiti, no road rage, little aggression, and no guns. I think drug use is low. Of course, Japanese society has its detractors with some justification, but that's a big and complex issue.

Hi Hanshan,

Japanese men have been mentally castrated with the samurai sword of cultural marxism. Just like Germans after WW2, they were brainwashed into hating themselves and their militaristic past. Although more recently there has been a emergence of nationalism among the Japanese so we shouldn't give up on them just yet.

https://komurin.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/japan-then-and-now1-500x228.jpg

hanshan
29-09-17, 14:24
Hi Hollow - I'm still trying to get my head around "the samurai sword of cultural marxism".

As for samurai, only a small percentage of Japanese were ever samurai - the vast numbers were either peasants or merchants. However, young men were inculcated with bushido - the way of the samurai - leading up to World War Two. In fact, peace was restored for decades under the Tokugawa shogunate, and the samurai class then spent much time composing poetry, developing the tea ceremony, and perfecting bonsai techniques. However, that doesn't translate as well in the cinema as swinging a razor sharp sword around.

As for the "Japan Today" photo, those guys look just like a lot of my students back in Japan! But the hairdos are just a late flowering of 1970s boy band style (think Bay City Rollers). University years are a brief oasis of freedom for Japanese youth. Soon the hair will be slicked down and they will be wearing their salaryman suits for twelve-hour workdays (Saturdays included).

KK77
29-09-17, 14:44
There's no graffiti, no road rage, little aggression, and no guns. I think drug use is low. Of course, Japanese society has its detractors with some justification, but that's a big and complex issue.

University years are a brief oasis of freedom for Japanese youth. Soon the hair will be slicked down and they will be wearing their salaryman suits for twelve-hour workdays (Saturdays included).

That's an interesting juxtaposition of attitudes, Hanshan - almost as poignant yet incongruent as a Haiku.

There must either be a hidden but powerful outlet for stress or an unimaginable amount of emotional repression. Perhaps both are true if Japanese porn is any measure?

From what I've only heard, you understand :shades:

Noivous
29-09-17, 15:12
[QUOTE=B3521;1722405]Of course KJU is insane and the whole situation is his fault but he's deterrable, the US can do what they did to Russia for years and years, mutual assured destruction. There's no other alternative that doesn't kill millions of people and possibly start a world war. Why is Trump calling him petty names and goding him? It makes no sense and is making the situation worse. Flying B1 bombers so close to their borders is also making things worse. NK know they could be destroyed at any instant, by flying bombers so close the US are risking taking a missile to one of their bombers and rapid escalation, it serves no strategic or military purpose, it only antagonises. Both sides need to cool the situation enter talks and set up military to military comms to stop an accidental war. The US refuses to even entertain that possibility which means the only other alternative is nuclear war and most probably the West coast of the States eating a nuke or 2! As much as KJU is evil, Trumps actions are crazy and not helping at all.[/QUOTE

B3521 - There is not mutually assured destruction between the USA and NK. It is assured destruction of NK if they move in a seriously aggressive move towards the US or their allies. The reason the Korean Midget thinks he can do this crap is because he was placated by the Obama administration. Trump is right to belittle this despot. The world should be doing it.

N.

Hollow
29-09-17, 22:13
Perhaps both are true if Japanese porn is any measure?

From what I've only heard, you understand :shades:

You seem to be an expert on this subject KK, I've always wondered why they censor stuff in their "movies"? Maybe Hanshan has first hand experience of this and is therefore in a better position to answer my query.

MyNameIsTerry
30-09-17, 01:58
You seem to be an expert on this subject KK, I've always wondered why they censor stuff in their "movies"? Maybe Hanshan has first hand experience of this and is therefore in a better position to answer my query.

As to why they censor, god knows given the content, but I think it's just law about showing penises. Another bizarre one like how the US go into meltdown over a nipple on TV despite all the violent films they churn out.

Different connotations to some of their activities though with them dating back into punishment.

The unhealthy interest in schoolgirls, I don't know.

---------- Post added at 01:58 ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 ----------

Of course KJU is insane and the whole situation is his fault but he's deterrable, the US can do what they did to Russia for years and years, mutual assured destruction. There's no other alternative that doesn't kill millions of people and possibly start a world war. Why is Trump calling him petty names and goding him? It makes no sense and is making the situation worse. Flying B1 bombers so close to their borders is also making things worse. NK know they could be destroyed at any instant, by flying bombers so close the US are risking taking a missile to one of their bombers and rapid escalation, it serves no strategic or military purpose, it only antagonises. Both sides need to cool the situation enter talks and set up military to military comms to stop an accidental war. The US refuses to even entertain that possibility which means the only other alternative is nuclear war and most probably the West coast of the States eating a nuke or 2! As much as KJU is evil, Trumps actions are crazy and not helping at all.

If the US position was only that nuclear war was the answer, why are they wasting their time and not wiping NK off the map? Why they talk to other powers around the world? If the US were only set on this course don't you think the whle world would be on their case about it? So, why aren't they?

Flying the bombers was in response to Kim's "I'll shoot you down" rhetoric. Note he didn't shoot them down, they called his bluff. :winks: And Kim said he would shoot them down in neutral airspace too which is a massive no-no!

Kim's response to everyone saying he needs to stop was to launch two missiles over Japan causes panic to their citizens. That's far more provacative and outsde of nuclear threat, this could otherwise have caused a conventional war alone.

KK77
30-09-17, 13:01

I think you're right ;)

I would add, however, that despite levels of outward violence (against others and their environment) being low, inward violence (against the self) is in comparison much higher - manifested in its most extreme form as completed suicide. Self-harm (eg cutting) is low it seems, maybe due to shame of it being visible by others.

hanshan
30-09-17, 16:37
It’s really difficult to try to encapsulate Japan, or judge it by western values. In some ways, Japan is “sexier” than the west. In other ways, it’s more repressed. Here are some of the ways Japan seems sexually freer (if that is the word):

(1) Several hundred years ago, the Japanese began the custom of bathing communally every day in hot water. It probably began due to the abundance of hot springs in the country. But eventually it became that every location had a bath house where men and women, from early childhood to old age, would together wash off their daily grime with ladles of hot water, then all relax in a communal hot tub.

This practice of communal bathing was only outlawed during the western occupation after World War II. Nevertheless, single sex public communal bathing is still common today, and many families still continue the tradition of mixed sex washing followed by a hot tub soak together at home.

(2) Japan has a long tradition of showing sexual acts in explicit detail in wood block prints – often as a sideline by otherwise famous artists. These prints are known as “shunga” (spring pictures) and are prized by collectors today.

(3) There apears to be a greater acceptance as normal in Japan of what would be thought sexual deviation in the west. Thus, things like bondage, domination, and “Lolita complex” (pedophilia in the west) are accepted to varying degrees, although these are under pressure from western cultural values. It was said that you could buy used girls’ underwear from certain vending machines in the past – I doubt if that is true today.

Hollow
30-09-17, 18:02
I think you're right ;)

I would add, however, that despite levels of outward violence (against others and their environment) being low, inward violence (against the self) is in comparison much higher - manifested in its most extreme form as completed suicide. Self-harm (eg cutting) is low it seems, maybe due to shame of it being visible by others.

Good point KK, I've also heard about the high suicide rate among Japanese men. There's even a famous forest where a lot of these men go to commit suicide, they get lost in the forest and can't find a way out because it's so big.

I think this ties in with the fact that Japan lost it's way after WW2, decades of brainwashing which was designed to break their spirit has left the Japanese without a sense of purpose. They have a dwindling population that is losing interest in marriage or even sex.

Also sooner or later Japan will be forced to open it's their borders to 3rd world immigration, this is the price they have to pay for losing the war.

hanshan
01-10-17, 04:27
I can't see how Japan lost its way immediately after WWII. In my view, Japan lost its way in the decades leading up to WWII, when it tried to set up an empire to rival European empires, with control over Korea, Taiwan and Manchuria (extended through Vietnam, Malaya, Indonesia and the Philippines after the start of WWII).

After WWII, Japan renounced its empire, but still managed to become the world's second largest economy in just over forty years (with a lot of help from the US, which saw it as a buffer state against the spread of communism). However, there was a lot of personal sacrifice in the pursuit of (can I say) making Japan great again.

The problem is that Japan did not know how to deal with its success. The bubble was great at the end of the 1980s (I was there 1987-1990) but popped in the 1990s, particularly in falling real estate values, which in turn had been propping everything else up. That's when Japan lost its way and suicide rates increased. In the samurai code, suicide is a noble way of dealing with failure. Although nobody's really a samurai any more, fictionalized samurai behaviour is still readily seen and idealized in movies and tv shows.

I think things have turned around in the past ten years or so. Suicide rates have been declining generally (less so for young men). There is more acceptance of and willingness to get treatment for things like depression. There is less "Japan Inc" and more individual expression - though this makes the country less "Japanese" and more western! But fantasy escape is still a big industry via comic books, anime, gaming, pachinko, karaoke rooms (and yes, maid bars and schoolgirl bars in the larger cities).

KK77
01-10-17, 13:59
It’s really difficult to try to encapsulate Japan, or judge it by western values. In some ways, Japan is “sexier” than the west. In other ways, it’s more repressed. Here are some of the ways Japan seems sexually freer (if that is the word):

(1) Several hundred years ago, the Japanese began the custom of bathing communally every day in hot water. It probably began due to the abundance of hot springs in the country. But eventually it became that every location had a bath house where men and women, from early childhood to old age, would together wash off their daily grime with ladles of hot water, then all relax in a communal hot tub.

This practice of communal bathing was only outlawed during the western occupation after World War II. Nevertheless, single sex public communal bathing is still common today, and many families still continue the tradition of mixed sex washing followed by a hot tub soak together at home.

(2) Japan has a long tradition of showing sexual acts in explicit detail in wood block prints – often as a sideline by otherwise famous artists. These prints are known as “shunga” (spring pictures) and are prized by collectors today.

(3) There apears to be a greater acceptance as normal in Japan of what would be thought sexual deviation in the west. Thus, things like bondage, domination, and “Lolita complex” (pedophilia in the west) are accepted to varying degrees, although these are under pressure from western cultural values. It was said that you could buy used girls’ underwear from certain vending machines in the past – I doubt if that is true today.

I think things have turned around in the past ten years or so. Suicide rates have been declining generally (less so for young men). There is more acceptance of and willingness to get treatment for things like depression. There is less "Japan Inc" and more individual expression - though this makes the country less "Japanese" and more western! But fantasy escape is still a big industry via comic books, anime, gaming, pachinko, karaoke rooms (and yes, maid bars and schoolgirl bars in the larger cities).

Your knowledge and insight re Japanese culture, history and its traditions joins many dots, Hanshan. I have worked with Japanese clients in the past and have noticed their discipline and adherence to tradition. What struck me the most, however, was how Japanese children behaved: even in situations which would bore a 'Western' kid to distraction, creating all manner of mischief, Japanese children would invariably be passive, taciturn and obedient.

This all ties in with the emotional repression, which I believe must start at a very early age. There is obviously a reluctance to display strong emotions openly, perhaps even in the privacy of the family unit. Hence the internalising of strong emotions and a rich (secret) fantasy world in which they are 'safe' and have total control over what happens. This is further supported by the rise of so-called young 'recluses' - apparently called hikikomori - who totally shun the outside world and immerse themselves in the cyberworld of gaming and perhaps porn. They certainly aren't interested in real-life relationships and sex. Maybe this phenomenon has been exaggerated, I'm not sure.

Finally, are you saying that suicide is still seen as an 'honourable' escape from this life, or does it have to fulfil certain criteria of failure? I mean, is suicide seen as a 'valid' option under any circumstances?

---------- Post added at 13:59 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

Good point KK, I've also heard about the high suicide rate among Japanese men. There's even a famous forest where a lot of these men go to commit suicide, they get lost in the forest and can't find a way out because it's so big.

I've watched YouTube vids by "Urban Explorers" re the "Suicide Forest". Perhaps there is now a suicide cult amongst young people based on older Japanese traditions discussed above?

It's certainly a beautiful forest.

hanshan
03-10-17, 08:32
If I'm going to get all Freudian here, emotion is the power source of the id, and all societies try to harness, display, or control it in different ways.

From a western viewpoint, it's easy to say that the Japanese are repressed in some ways, and free to the point of perversion in others. However, from a Japanese viewpoint, the way Japanese society has evolved in its blocking or channeling or celebration of id/libido is just different from the West.

Nevertheless, id/libido relationships involve power relationships, especially over young or otherwise sexually disempowered people, so it's important that "traditional' values are critically re-examined. This goes for Japan, just as it does for the West.

Azzbo
03-10-17, 09:05
How can you not worry when the most powerful man in the world is an orange buffoon who threatens nuclear war over twitter. sigh....

Someone said it earlier, idiocracy at its finest

MyNameIsTerry
03-10-17, 09:34
How can you not worry when the most powerful man in the world is an orange buffoon who threatens nuclear war over twitter. sigh....

Someone said it earlier, idiocracy at its finest

Remember Bush Jr? Bombing everywhere without knowing where it was on a map?

The media like to portray it as new but we were all taking the Mickie out of him too for being a buffoon.

Checks & balances. He can't do much of anything in his own country yet people believe he can so easily change the fate of humanity with a click of a button.

Ben1989
03-10-17, 10:11
Naturally, I have a slight worry over this. I know I can't do anything to affect it so it never bothers me an incredible amount.

Worries come when I listened to a podcast about nuclear codes. The president can literally say 'fire nukes' and not a single person can stop him. His defence secretaries can highly advise him not to, however, cannot stop him.

The only way his decisions can be stopped/ignored is if he is incapacitated (eg. drunk, high, suffering disease such as dementia). It was a really interesting podcast actually.

If he fires nukes in the pacific I genuinely believe nukes will not be fired back. I think a complete land, air and sea invasion will occur with missiles (non-nuke) being fired at Pyongyang. Kim will fire a nuke, he will then hide underground in a bunker on the border of China and the already poor people of NK will die from a nuclear weapon. I don't think it will happen.

Watch 'The Interview' to cheer yourself up about this.

Azzbo
03-10-17, 10:20
You got a link to that podcast ben1989?

Ben1989
03-10-17, 10:34
You got a link to that podcast ben1989?

I'll have a quick look now...

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

I use an app on my iPhone called Overcast. The podcast was through a show called 'Radiolab (WNYC studios)' and the podcast is literally called 'Nukes'.

The presenters chat to an Air Force Major from the 1970s who was one of two who turn the key to launch nukes who asked what was the process involved when the President gives the order. He categorically said that he would never not turn the key, he just wanted to know if there was a vetted process from above. From simply asking it completely derailed his successful military career.

Azzbo
03-10-17, 10:36
Ahhh radiolab, alright mate cheers. I should be able to find it

Ben1989
03-10-17, 10:41
Link http://www.radiolab.org/story/nukes/

Azzbo
03-10-17, 10:44
Legend :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
03-10-17, 11:52
Naturally, I have a slight worry over this. I know I can't do anything to affect it so it never bothers me an incredible amount.

Worries come when I listened to a podcast about nuclear codes. The president can literally say 'fire nukes' and not a single person can stop him. His defence secretaries can highly advise him not to, however, cannot stop him.

The only way his decisions can be stopped/ignored is if he is incapacitated (eg. drunk, high, suffering disease such as dementia). It was a really interesting podcast actually.

If he fires nukes in the pacific I genuinely believe nukes will not be fired back. I think a complete land, air and sea invasion will occur with missiles (non-nuke) being fired at Pyongyang. Kim will fire a nuke, he will then hide underground in a bunker on the border of China and the already poor people of NK will die from a nuclear weapon. I don't think it will happen.

Watch 'The Interview' to cheer yourself up about this.

If the president is sane of mind and not incapacitated in any way he could decide to launch of France and everyone would sit and watch?

Ben1989
03-10-17, 12:09
If the president is sane of mind and not incapacitated in any way he could decide to launch of France and everyone would sit and watch?

No, but I think with NK being a dictated communist regime it would warrant more of an invasion and 'freeing' of the people than a nuclear attack. Providing obviously that the nuclear missile was intercepted etc. But what do I know.

I find it hilarious that you chose France for your example, by the way

B3521
03-10-17, 13:01
No, but I think with NK being a dictated communist regime it would warrant more of an invasion and 'freeing' of the people than a nuclear attack. Providing obviously that the nuclear missile was intercepted etc. But what do I know.

I find it hilarious that you chose France for your example, by the wayChina have already said that if the US launch a preemptive attack on NK they would back NK. If NK launches first China said they would stay out of it. I actually think Trump wants NK to attack first, his taunting suggests that. His Twitter taunting is incredibly, incredibly stupid, millions of lives in the area are at risk and word peace and he's taunting a thermonuclear state. I really worry what NK next move will be.
I don't think Americans realise theyd be drafted to fight there's as well, loss of life would be massive.

Ben1989
03-10-17, 15:32
Agreed. Taunting a nuclear state that is highly driven on bombing you isn't wise. People who have left NK have said that he will nuke America when the missiles are ready. It's almost like he's saying 'come on then, I dare you!'. Sad times

B3521
03-10-17, 17:17
Agreed. Taunting a nuclear state that is highly driven on bombing you isn't wise. People who have left NK have said that he will nuke America when the missiles are ready. It's almost like he's saying 'come on then, I dare you!'. Sad timesEven a nuke in the Pacific is catastrophic for local wildlife AND radioactive particles will distribute worldwide so noone will be unharmed.

KK77
03-10-17, 18:43
Even a nuke in the Pacific is catastrophic for local wildlife AND radioactive particles will distribute worldwide so noone will be unharmed.

I don't see how imagining all these hypothetical scenarios is helping you or others reading this. You have to bear in mind that such behaviour on the part of any government would be suicidal, destroying their legacy along with their nation. The horrors we face today are due to conventional weapons, and the wars currently raging in parts of the world because of them.

I think you're just feeding your anxiety with all this supposition.

pulisa
03-10-17, 19:32
I agree wholeheartedly with KK.

MyNameIsTerry
04-10-17, 01:45
The president can literally say 'fire nukes' and not a single person can stop him. His defence secretaries can highly advise him not to, however, cannot stop him.

I find it hilarious that you chose France for your example, by the way

Therefore he can't just say fire and they all obey the master.

The president can literally say 'fire nukes' and not a single person can stop him. His defence secretaries can highly advise him not to, however, cannot stop him.

The narrative being flogged is that Trump is a narcasist (that's hardly new for a leader in the West :winks:) and may decide to wage war on any country who simply annoy him. If France stopped him building some gold courses, and of sound mind, he could attack...but obviously he can't because there is more considered that whether he is incapacitated otherwise any warmongering US president would just be another Kim.

France jist spring to mind, no idea why. Just somewhere largely inoffensive. :D

---------- Post added at 01:45 ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 ----------

China have already said that if the US launch a preemptive attack on NK they would back NK. If NK launches first China said they would stay out of it.

Therefore China have no intention of firing. It's just reminding another country of how their relationships work. Nothing more than NATO countries saying they will support other NATO countries. Status quo since a long way back...

Ben1989
04-10-17, 08:41
Yes I agree. He can't just fire at anyone and his state of mind will be questioned. If he did order to fire at France (sorry France), he would probably be immediately relieved of duty.

But if we take North Korea, and Trump continues to dare a highly-motivated state to a point where they declare war etc then he would be in his rights to launch given such evidence.

Interestingly, the junior officers who actually have the keys to launch are continuously kept up to date with classified information so they can appreciate the orders. They can actual refuse to launch if they believe it is illegal (such as firing at France).

I'm not specifically aiming it at Trump, but that was one factor that really worried people as he has a hand on the trigger. The orders now have to come from the President since WW2 where the generals were having fun with their nuclear toys after dropping A-bombs on Japan. They assured the President the targets were purely industrial with no women or children. Obviously that was wrong. Since then, all orders must come from the President (after a third Japanese target was confirmed).

According to the podcast I listened to, the system is the same since the cold war. Speaking of the cold war, this article about a Russian officer is astounding https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/18/soviet-officer-who-averted-cold-war-nuclear-disaster-dies-aged-77

Karahi
04-10-17, 09:12
I'm not terribly worried about NK and Trump. Or at least how those two relate. They're both just awful. There's no reason at this point for America to go to war with North Korea. There's just not that much incentive even from a strategic standpoint (such as getting a strong permanent presence in the Middle East.) America already has strong allies in East Asia and has been steadily building its Naval presence. It's not like North Korea has a wealth of resources either. And if Trump wanted to anyway he can't do it alone. He'd need congressional approval in the first place and in the past America has relied on coalition support for invasions. In addition, they aren't likely to get support from the majority of their own war fatigued population. With the country as divided as it is, I doubt many relevant officials would be on board with even more internal conflict, especially while the US is already so stretched with conflicts across the globe. They convinced countries into allying with them on Iraq through the WMD fiasco but it won't work with North Korea. It's plainly obvious to everyone that their nuclear capabilities are err... Not so capable. No one sees them as a threat save for maybe South Korea. The only way America is going to war with them is if they, for instance, were to invade South Korea but I don't see that happening because as deranged as NKs leadership is, they aren't suicidal. Posturing at most, I'm sure.

Very doubtful it will lead to anything serious.

B3521
04-10-17, 17:12
I know imaging these horrible scenarios is not good for my mental health but the North Korean foreign minister did say that's what KJU may do. Not that it's my intention to cause anyone else in here anxiety.
I really wish both the US and NK would calm the hell down.

pulisa
04-10-17, 18:00
It's not even headline news.

MyNameIsTerry
05-10-17, 02:14
I know imaging these horrible scenarios is not good for my mental health but the North Korean foreign minister did say that's what KJU may do. Not that it's my intention to cause anyone else in here anxiety.
I really wish both the US and NK would calm the hell down.

You don't need to worry about triggering others, this whole forum is full of triggers for one person or another.

They aren't going to say they wouldn't. Think of Jeremy Corbyn's stance a cope of years ago and the reaction to that. Why tell people you won't fire? It's integral to having a deterrent that you "say" you will.

I think it helps if you detach yourself from all the triggering stuff out there. There is so much raving going on and endless speculation that it is rife for the anxious mind to hang off and panic.

---------- Post added at 02:14 ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 ----------

Yes I agree. He can't just fire at anyone and his state of mind will be questioned. If he did order to fire at France (sorry France), he would probably be immediately relieved of duty.

But if we take North Korea, and Trump continues to dare a highly-motivated state to a point where they declare war etc then he would be in his rights to launch given such evidence.

Interestingly, the junior officers who actually have the keys to launch are continuously kept up to date with classified information so they can appreciate the orders. They can actual refuse to launch if they believe it is illegal (such as firing at France).

I'm not specifically aiming it at Trump, but that was one factor that really worried people as he has a hand on the trigger. The orders now have to come from the President since WW2 where the generals were having fun with their nuclear toys after dropping A-bombs on Japan. They assured the President the targets were purely industrial with no women or children. Obviously that was wrong. Since then, all orders must come from the President (after a third Japanese target was confirmed).

According to the podcast I listened to, the system is the same since the cold war. Speaking of the cold war, this article about a Russian officer is astounding https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/18/soviet-officer-who-averted-cold-war-nuclear-disaster-dies-aged-77

Even in the UK the armed forces don't have to accept the order of our PM to fire. They can appeal to the head of the forces, the monarch, and individual submarine commanders have always the right to refuse and submit to allied rule (such as the US).

Our nuclear missiles are serviced in the US. Now, legally we have the right to fire them and the US cannot veto that request. They have to blindly follow what we say as they are our missiles. That's BS, if we decided to launch somewhere they disagreed with they would sit on their hands and do nothing.

And that's what I wanted to get at with the US policy because there is so much rabid social media & news about the US having an unpredicatable president who does whatever he wants that the process seems to allow him to just get up one day and pick a random target. It doesn't, they would remove him straight away or bash him over the head with a blunt object (like Bush Jn :winks:) rather than put their feet up and watch the glow around the world.

In today's climate where everyone is fighting with each other in government chambers I would surprised if they can decide what notepaper is needed without days of argument.

FrankT
01-01-18, 12:09
Reading this thread has reassured me somewhat. But how can we be sure that this year won't be the year it all kicks off?

B3521
01-01-18, 20:02
Reading this thread has reassured me somewhat. But how can we be sure that this year won't be the year it all kicks off?North Korea won't attack the US. In KJUs new year speech he said their nukes were for detterence to stop a US invasion or a US attack and it would also be suicidal for NK. Unfortunately, Trump may try and attack NK even with a limited strike, all bets are off if that happens and you can be sure Japan and South Korea wouldn't be happy about this as they'd be first in the firing line. Let's hope there are sane minds in the White House that can see detterence is the way forward because there isn't really any other option.

FrankT
02-01-18, 13:33
Why would he want to, though, if it won't net him any profit? He's treating the presidency as a profit-making enterprise for himself.

axolotl
02-01-18, 15:20
This situation caused one of my biggest spirals last year but I genuinely think it's started to ramp down, despite how it may look.

First of all KJU is a brutal dictator but he's not insane. He's not looking to make a bomb so he can instantly fire it at someone. He's ridiculously outgunned and would be signing his own death warrant if he did so. Only a lunatic would do that. We know he's not insane because while being dangerously provocative, he's consistently stayed behind the red line activities that would have triggered war - such as firing towards Guam or conducting an overground nuclear test.

In fact his nuclear programme is a risky business but has a sound logic to it - greatly skew the cost/benefit of the US overthrowing his regime. The problem for him is, I think, an overestimation of how China values their economic ties with frenemies in the west over their embarrassing, Soviet-era-throwback neighbour, and just how much the UN - even China and Russia - would unite over sanctions.

His recent declaring of the nuclear programme complete may sound scary, but it clearly isn't complete, and to me seems like a way of keeping face with his citizens while hopefully ceasing or paring back missile testing and moving into a state where negotiations can take place.

Secondly, as much as I believe Trump to be a fraction as intelligent as he thinks he is and a reckless bully, he's a billionaire with way more to lose from the breakdown of civilisation than nearly all of us! Do you think he wants that? If we can spot the obvious flaws in the plan for military action so can he. Like Kim, much of his bluster has been propaganda for his base. And there is no thirst from anyone else in the International Community for anything to kick off.

I saw a quote once along the lines of trying to understand the world by reading the news is like trying to tell the time by watching the second hand of a clock. I've curbed back my news watching a lot and I'd recommend it. Reading the tiny details about these kind of things, the overblown propaganda from both sides, and the endless clickbait of the press, doesn't help us. If things go awry and kick off you'd soon know about it, so no need to closely monitor the situation, is there?

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:09 ----------

And... this post is misfiled in the HA section, but my fears on this were the thing that made me realise that my anxiety over health is a generalised anxiety with the same pattern:

Get an idea something bad might happen > look for reassurance online > fall down a rabbit hole of opinion (much of which is cynical clickbait), cherry-picking that which feeds the fear > go back to start.

Very similar to HA when you think about it.

FrankT
07-01-18, 22:42
Everyone seems to have fallen into fatalistic despair over this. The truth is, so have I.

MyNameIsTerry
08-01-18, 01:49
Everyone seems to have fallen into fatalistic despair over this. The truth is, so have I.

Based on what, Frank? If I look around me in everyday life, no one cares. I would put a large sum of money on more people being interested in what happened in some TV show or the footie.

The problem with assessing things based on the media and social sites like forums is that you enter an echo chamber. They have joined to discuss it.

But what % of the population are they? And measure their interest compared to other issues. For instance, I sometimes have a read of threads on other forums to get an idea of what is going on. If I look at somewhere like Digital Spy any day, when a TV reality show is going it's obvious there are tons more people posting about that than on their politics boards about all politics.

This is one of the battles into mental health, looking outside of the tunnel vision.

A ton of people marched to stop Trump coming here. And Brexit. A ton of people signed a petition to stop him coming here. But when you compare those numbers to the population size and they really that big?

worried94
09-01-18, 17:43
Funnily enough this is something that I used to have very severe anxiety back in 2013 when tensions escalated, I couldn't think about my future and thought a bomb was going to drop on my head any minute. I suffered from that anxiety for several months and avoided the news. Yet, I even tortured myself watching nuclear war films such as threads, it's weird the way us anxiety suffers torture ourselves sometimes.
I guess my health anxiety took over from the catastrophe anxiety at some point so I don't think I got cured of it, just my mind found something else to be anxious about. In fact I almost found comfort in the threat in a strange "we all go together when we go" way rather than a long drawn out illness where my friends got to carry on their lives (selfish and unhelpful thinking I know)

I'm so sorry to anyone feeling depressed and terrified about it as I know the feeling! The media does exaggerate things and there are a lot more in between steps to nuclear war than a cartoon villian sat in his office pressing a big red button. There is a lot of talking the talk but the likelihood of anyone firing anything is a very unlikely total last resort.

FrankT
13-01-18, 16:21
Then there's the matter of everything outside of the NK crisis. Trimp wants to deregulate everything, send us back to the stone age! Smog will be filling the streets again by 2020!

Lola-Lee
14-01-18, 02:58
The thing that annoys me about the Trump is his mouth.
"His Allegedly comments on Shit House comments". Everything that comes out of his ugly mouth is shit house.
I have been to South Shit House Africa and it is a beautiful country,this idiot is going too shoot himself in the foot. I hope it is soon.
You cannot tell me the goose is not racist,and I think he has forgotten where his roots are from.
The Fool.:mad:

MyNameIsTerry
14-01-18, 04:34
The thing that annoys me about the Trump is his mouth.
"His Allegedly comments on Shit House comments". Everything that comes out of his ugly mouth is shit house.
I have been to South Shit House Africa and it is a beautiful country,this idiot is going too shoot himself in the foot. I hope it is soon.
You cannot tell me the goose is not racist,and I think he has forgotten where his roots are from.
The Fool.:mad:

Lots of poorer countries are very beautiful. I would rather see nature or local culture than go to dense areas. Africa would always be on my list for the animals & country alone.

Perhaps if you chuck the captain a few dollars he might take a bit of a detour over Trump tower...remember to flush :winks:

For his state visit here they were on about flying him to Birmingham instead of London. London will be packed with liberal protesters waiving banners as opposed to Birmingham where it will be more likely two blokes standing watching wondering what's going on followed by a shrug and "fancy a pint" :biggrin:

I wonder what he might call Birmingham & the West Midlands? :biggrin:

B3521
14-01-18, 10:53
Lots of poorer countries are very beautiful. I would rather see nature or local culture than go to dense areas. Africa would always be on my list for the animals & country alone.

Perhaps if you chuck the captain a few dollars he might take a bit of a detour over Trump tower...remember to flush :winks:

For his state visit here they were on about flying him to Birmingham instead of London. London will be packed with liberal protesters waiving banners as opposed to Birmingham where it will be more likely two blokes standing watching wondering what's going on followed by a shrug and "fancy a pint" [emoji3]

I wonder what he might call Birmingham & the West Midlands? [emoji3]The irony is, during my travels in the States I realised large swathes of that country are a shithole.

MyNameIsTerry
14-01-18, 13:52
The irony is, during my travels in the States I realised large swathes of that country are a shithole.

Just like any country then. But then if you were Theresa May saying it, it would upset people in calling their home a shit hole...although plenty of them will have been calling it that just like many of us call areas around the UK one.

Fishmanpa
14-01-18, 14:15
I just want to genuinely say I'm sorry for what Trump said. As a citizen of the US, I can assure you that all of America doesn't feel that way. I'm truly embarrassed by our leadership.

Concerning the OP... Now, with what happened in Hawaii, I'd like to know what we have in place as an early warning system and how it actually works. If human error can trigger a missile warning, we need to re-evaluate things. The last thing we need is something like that triggering a retaliation. Add to that NK's capabilities and detection systems in all likelihood are not as advanced as the US so the same scenario applies with a higher risk of technical and human error. I have to admit, the thought has crossed my mind a few times recently and it's unsettling.

Positive thoughts

B3521
14-01-18, 14:39
Just like any country then. But then if you were Theresa May saying it, it would upset people in calling their home a shit hole...although plenty of them will have been calling it that just like many of us call areas around the UK one.The amount of homeless in parts of the US is genuinely shocking. I've never seen anything like some of the things I saw in the States in the UK. Very mentally ill people on the streets. Seattle for example whilst being a nice city was shocking to me for people walking down main streets obviously mentally ill and screaming etc Another shock was San Fransisco which was horrific for this. Obviously the population in the States is a lot more than the UK but the lack of social care is disturbing. It's a country id actively avoid visiting now due to Trump and its problems.

---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

I just want to genuinely say I'm sorry for what Trump said. As a citizen of the US, I can assure you that all of America doesn't feel that way. I'm truly embarrassed by our leadership.

Concerning the OP... Now, with what happened in Hawaii, I'd like to know what we have in place as an early warning system and how it actually works. If human error can trigger a missile warning, we need to re-evaluate things. The last thing we need is something like that triggering a retaliation. Add to that NK's capabilities and detection systems in all likelihood are not as advanced as the US so the same scenario applies with a higher risk of technical and human error. I have to admit, the thought has crossed my mind a few times recently and it's unsettling.

Positive thoughtsNo need to apologise, I think we realise the majority in the States are decent people. I just hope the world can get through Trumps reign unscathed.

Yes, I agree about Hawaii. Whilst KJU is obviously the main instigator in all of this, Trump is adding to the fire with his dangerous rhetoric. It's the situation is Hawaii yesterday that shows how quickly things could accidently escalate. NK who are incredibly paranoid about an attack could've for example taken the mistaken warning yesterday as a signal they were about to be attacked and launched their nukes. The whole "pre emptive attack" talk is insanity as well there's no way KJU would take a "surgical strike" lying down. I don't think people in general realise what a dangerous situation it is with NK atm.

MyNameIsTerry
14-01-18, 14:55
The amount of homeless in parts of the US is genuinely shocking. I've never seen anything like some of the things I saw in the States in the UK. Very mentally ill people on the streets. Seattle for example whilst being a nice city was shocking to me for people walking down main streets obviously mentally ill and screaming etc Another shock was San Fransisco which was horrific for this. Obviously the population in the States is a lot more than the UK but the lack of social care is disturbing. It's a country id actively avoid visiting now due to Trump and its problems.[.

Trump hasn't been in long enough to cause all that. It's always been a criticism of the US for a long time, the homeless one street from the rich. Many were arguing against the Democrats in the election due to things like this but it's obviously a bigger problem than either party.

Agreed on social care. Having the NHS makes us lucky in this respect due to the close connections to social care policy that has to bring with it. Not so long ago though we used to slam them all away in places more like prisons.

There will always be faults in anyone pointing to other countries and forgetting their own problems. We have many of our own food banks, the homeless and how we have failed so many ex servicemen/women now on the streets or struggling with PTSD, the government (both Tory & Labour) penalising the disabled, the crumbling NHS, etc.

It's news that a prominent politician said it. Politicians normally give a more respectful term...and then continue to think "what a shithole" in their minds :winks:

B3521
14-01-18, 15:19
Trump hasn't been in long enough to cause all that. It's always been a criticism of the US for a long time, the homeless one street from the rich. Many were arguing against the Democrats in the election due to things like this but it's obviously a bigger problem than either party.

Agreed on social care. Having the NHS makes us lucky in this respect due to the close connections to social care policy that has to bring with it. Not so long ago though we used to slam them all away in places more like prisons.

There will always be faults in anyone pointing to other countries and forgetting their own problems. We have many of our own food banks, the homeless and how we have failed so many ex servicemen/women now on the streets or struggling with PTSD, the government (both Tory & Labour) penalising the disabled, the crumbling NHS, etc.

It's news that a prominent politician said it. Politicians normally give a more respectful term...and then continue to think "what a shithole" in their minds :winks:Yeah, the UK is far from perfect and it has many, many problems but as one who moans about the state of the UK, I was more grateful about where I lived after visiting parts of the US.

Fishmanpa
14-01-18, 15:25
The amount of homeless in parts of the US is genuinely shocking. I've never seen anything like some of the things I saw in the States in the UK. Very mentally ill people on the streets. Seattle for example whilst being a nice city was shocking to me for people walking down main streets obviously mentally ill and screaming etc Another shock was San Fransisco which was horrific for this. Obviously the population in the States is a lot more than the UK but the lack of social care is disturbing. It's a country id actively avoid visiting now due to Trump and its problems.

It's difficult to keep a topic like this from becoming political. Perhaps this would be better suited for the Misc. section... but...

You're right B3... The blight in many areas of the US is striking to say the least. I do agree with Trump on the America First theme but just not quite the way he's going about it. The monies being spent and talked about for campaign promises can be used to ease the burden of the people and areas of suffering as well as fix the infrastructure. My wife and I watched a show the other day about a program that's providing tiny homes to homeless, disabled and low income people. Tear down the abandoned buildings on the blighted areas, build tiny home villages and help get people back on their feet. What about something like that for veterans down on their luck? That's what I'm talking about!

I remember when Ron Paul ran in 2012. I liked him, he just made sense. He answered a question about the border. I paraphrase... he said 'Seems to me, we have tens of thousands of our young men and women guarding deserts in the Middle East and we're spending billions and billions of dollars to keep them there. Why not bring them home and station them along the border? Seems to me an armed US soldier would be a bigger deterrent than a fence or wall'. We're paying them to protect the US. Why not pay them here?

Isn't that putting America first?

What Ron Paul said struck something in me. Currently we have 10K troops at a base in Qatar... 15K in Kuwait Why? Oil?

Anyway... that's off my mind ~lol~

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
14-01-18, 15:29
Yeah, the UK is far from perfect and it has many, many problems but as one who moans about the state of the UK, I was more grateful about where I lived after visiting parts of the US.

Yes, and I think that is a good thing to recognise in yourself. Humility. Learning to be grateful for what you have. Compared to much of the world we live in luxury. Being confronted by it should also be humbling or we would be lacking in some basic qualities.

Drugs are a big problem in the US too. Hawaii sounds great as a tourist but doesn't it have bad problems with meth? Gun crime doesn't even need a mention...:doh:

Dying_Swan
14-01-18, 16:51
Sorry not to have read the whole thread, but yes I do worry about Trump and North Korea. Sometimes I have to just switch off the news. It is worrying for sure, but there's absolutely zilch we can do about it so worrying is completely pointless.

I know it's not that simple, if only it was! But it's what I have to actively tell myself about USA/NK situation, and a multitude of other global situations we're powerless to do anything about.

A wise person pointed out to me that we're surrounded by news these days. Certainly when I was a child, the news was only on at 6pm and 9pm. Nowadays it's popping up on your phone, iPad, TV etc etc all the time. It's harder to avoid anxiety-triggering news, which for those of us prone to worrying isn't really a great thing!

FrankT
14-01-18, 21:51
Well since we can't stop it, we might as well start making our bunkers.

B3521
15-01-18, 10:36
Well since we can't stop it, we might as well start making our bunkers.Deleted.

bubx
15-01-18, 10:47
A bit off topic, but is the general American public for or against this supposed wall that trump is building?

FrankT
15-01-18, 11:40
Doesn't look like there's any danger of that being built any time soon, thank goodness.

bubx
15-01-18, 11:43
The absurdity of Donald Trump and media's portrayal of him honestly makes me laugh :roflmao: he's like a cartoon character that has the potential to start a nuclear war :ohmy:

FrankT
15-01-18, 12:58
That's why we've got to push to have him impeached before he does such a thing.

bubx
15-01-18, 13:07
I not American nor do I understand their system of parliament and government but I will assume that there are limitations to his power. I’d like to believe that the upper house or the US equivalence is intelligent enough to stop that from occurring. Once elected, can American presidents be switched??? Is there like a bi-election in case people aren’t happy?

elysemarie123
15-01-18, 15:29
I live in America and am completely disgusted over Donald Trump. I wake up every single day and worry about what he has done overnight. To say that the whole North Korea situation is stressful is an understatement to me. He is a complete embarrassment to our country.

bubx -- I wish there was something in place that could get him out of office but to my knowledge it's not that easy. It would have to be an impeachment and that goes through the house and senate which republican's are the majority right now.

The only thing that really gets me through is thinking the media is blowing this NK thing way out of proportion. Fear mongering gets viewers so I think they really focus on it so they keep people watching their shows. This doesn't mean that he isn't a complete buffoon but depending what news source you watch shows just how much. For my own sanity, when I check the news, I check 5 sites -- Huffington Post, CNN, Fox News, Al Jazeera and BBC (always check BBC last because they are the most impartial about American affairs and are usually bipartisan). Fox news conveniently doesn't cover a lot of the absurdity that he says and focuses on Hillary Clinton a lot (I have screen shots to back this up because I was doing an experiment haha). CNN is very liberal and blasts the president over everything they can get their hands on. If there is anything I can agree on with Trump (and probably the only thing) is that the media isn't reliable and to do your homework about what is happening.

B3521
15-01-18, 16:03
I live in America and am completely disgusted over Donald Trump. I wake up every single day and worry about what he has done overnight. To say that the whole North Korea situation is stressful is an understatement to me. He is a complete embarrassment to our country.

bubx -- I wish there was something in place that could get him out of office but to my knowledge it's not that easy. It would have to be an impeachment and that goes through the house and senate which republican's are the majority right now.

The only thing that really gets me through is thinking the media is blowing this NK thing way out of proportion. Fear mongering gets viewers so I think they really focus on it so they keep people watching their shows. This doesn't mean that he isn't a complete buffoon but depending what news source you watch shows just how much. For my own sanity, when I check the news, I check 5 sites -- Huffington Post, CNN, Fox News, Al Jazeera and BBC (always check BBC last because they are the most impartial about American affairs and are usually bipartisan). Fox news conveniently doesn't cover a lot of the absurdity that he says and focuses on Hillary Clinton a lot (I have screen shots to back this up because I was doing an experiment haha). CNN is very liberal and blasts the president over everything they can get their hands on. If there is anything I can agree on with Trump (and probably the only thing) is that the media isn't reliable and to do your homework about what is happening.I don't think the media is blowing NK out of proportion, I think the US government is blowing things out of proportion to an extent. McMaster keeps saying "were running out of time" with NK and that the US can't live with a nuclear NK. There's no choice as the other alternative is nuclear war and most probably the US being hit with a nuke or two. The "maximum pressure" campaign by this administration and Trumps insane Tweets are stoking the fire which could easily lead to an accidental horrific war (that's if the US don't purposely strike first) . NK aren't going to strike first and can be dettered but all the sabre rattling by Trump is extremely dangerous.

FrankT
15-01-18, 16:22
In that case, why is he bothering to provoke them?

elysemarie123
15-01-18, 16:34
I don't think the media is blowing NK out of proportion, I think the US government is blowing things out of proportion to an extent. McMaster keeps saying "were running out of time" with NK and that the US can't live with a nuclear NK. There's no choice as the other alternative is nuclear war and most probably the US being hit with a nuke or two. The "maximum pressure" campaign by this administration and Trumps insane Tweets are stoking the fire which could easily lead to an accidental horrific war (that's if the US don't purposely strike first) . NK aren't going to strike first and can be dettered but all the sabre rattling by Trump is extremely dangerous.

Oh I agree with you -- by media I meant American media.

B3521
15-01-18, 17:05
In that case, why is he bothering to provoke them?Trump? Because he's nuts,is that not obvious by now? KJU has nukes for his regimes survival, he's not suicidal.

paranoid-viking
15-01-18, 17:08
No. Not really. I am old enpough to remember the last days of the cold war. And I mean - my parents generation really lived for decades with the constant threat and scares about a nuclear war that was certain to come between east and west.

bubx
15-01-18, 23:04
While the Cold War did breed a sense of fear regarding nuclear attacks, I feel like contemporary media, in all its various forms, instill greater worry in the general public. If you turn on the TV, computer, phone etc, there is bound to be an article about the whole trump and Kim tension

Fishmanpa
15-01-18, 23:19
Seeing what happened in Hawaii was extremely eye opening and disturbing. If human error can lead to 38 minutes of hysteria the what would happen if NK got a warning? We have the most sophisticated early warning system in the world and human error could have caused a disaster. If NK really thought they were under attack (error or not) do you not think Kim Jong Un would say F it and launch?

I remember as a young boy having nuclear attack drills where we hid under our desks (like that would have helped!). 50 years later, I have no idea how and what it would be. I live in the DC blast zone. I would just kiss my tush goodbye and hope it was quick.

Point being, after what happened this weekend, I believe the whole system needs to be evaluated and the American Public as well as the rest of the world needs to know what's going on and what to do in case it's not a false alarm.

Positive thoughts

tryingtosurvive1
15-01-18, 23:25
We have to wait to 2020 for the next presidential election. Short of extraordinary measures like impeachment, we're stuck with DT. Occasionally I do wish we were in a parliamentary system so an election could be called sooner.

nomorepanic
15-01-18, 23:26
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

bubx
16-01-18, 00:02
I don't believe Trump is bad.. in the sense that he has good intentions economically and for his country. However, with recent reports about his mannerism towards other countries, racism and absurd tweets, I feel like he is unable to act upon his intentions. FOr this reason, most people tend to believe that he is a "bad president."

MyNameIsTerry
16-01-18, 01:23
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Seems like a GAD issue to me for those struggling with their anxiety over this. But the thread has morphed into a discussion thread hence a duplicate of Top Trump.

If people want to talk about their anxiety I think they need to be clear about this because then we can look at that which means not getting to caught up in the information.
It will likely die now it's been moved.

---------- Post added at 01:23 ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 ----------

While the Cold War did breed a sense of fear regarding nuclear attacks, I feel like contemporary media, in all its various forms, instill greater worry in the general public. If you turn on the TV, computer, phone etc, there is bound to be an article about the whole trump and Kim tension

I agree. The media love this, it sells.

Back in the Cold War days there was more concern which was evidenced by the very fact we were taught about what to do in the event of attacks when we were at school.

Besides, according to the media right now we are all going to die from Aussie Flu first so no need to worry about a nuclear attack in the future :winks:

bubx
16-01-18, 01:39
I'm from Australia and in Sydney which is quite populated relative to the rest of the country. Whilst the flu season was bad... literally EVERYONE at school was sick or sniffling, I don't think it was deadly :shrug:
I think more schools should implement drills so students understand the procedures that must be followed to ensure everyone's safety should such an incident occur. I still don't believe that the North Korean president would launch such an attack because it is basically suicide. Neighbouring countries and the US will most certainly retaliate. Trump and Kim Jung Un are like little brats playing with big boy toys

MyNameIsTerry
16-01-18, 01:58
Yep, it's just another flu to many of us here too but we have some scaremongering media outlets who are running mad with the limited number of deaths it has caused, including the rare deaths of the healthy. It happens every time we have anything like this whether it's bird flu, swine flu, ebola, legionnaires disease, etc.

Another Australian poster said exactly the same, it's just the flu season. The difference is it's more complex than some other forms but the main issue is...the media! Not too long ago we were awash with endless press articles about those returning with ebola (nurses, for instance) and nothing has ever come of that and our health service tackled it. But we had "nurse comes back with ebola" blah blah blah. As the US & NK issue was starting one of our major news outlets put a mushroom cloud on their front page. Talk about scaremongering.

I remember being taught about storing water & food, taking shelter, etc. Bunkers are for the elite to hide in, the rest of us won't get a look in. If you are anywhere likely to face a strike what chance do you have? What I was taught might have helped for a very limited amount of time but the reality is if our governments can't even manage much smaller disasters there's no way they will mobilise enough to help those of us living in the less important areas of the UK who they largely don't care about now. We would be on our own.

bubx
16-01-18, 09:25
It's time to start drilling a hole in the backyard in case of a nuclear attack :yesyes: time to live like those from the Hunger Games in District 13. I doubt the government are going to make shelters like they did in London during the WW1/2? Bombings

mezzaninedoor
16-01-18, 14:42
I just dont understand how people can support Trump as President, even if the knock on affects of his policies are that some folks are prospering the way he lands policy is with the mouth of a petulant child half the time.

The NK stuff worries me but to be fair it takes two to tango and the leaders of USA and NK are just winding each other up !!!!

NK negotiations with SK a result of Trump, quite possibly but a dangerous game to play

B3521
16-01-18, 15:27
I just dont understand how people can support Trump as President, even if the knock on affects of his policies are that some folks are prospering the way he lands policy is with the mouth of a petulant child half the time.

The NK stuff worries me but to be fair it takes two to tango and the leaders of USA and NK are just winding each other up !!!!

NK negotiations with SK a result of Trump, quite possibly but a dangerous game to playNK negotiations are due to Trump but in a bad way. NK are negotationg with ROK because they see an opertunity to split the US/ROK alliance. ROK are worried Trump is going to start a preemptive war so will negotiate with NK. This is a classic play by NK and the Asia experts expect no good outcomes from it, NK will most probably try and shaft ROK(which they have started to do today https://twitter.com/Robert_E_Kelly/status/953165175372197888 ). To have a good working detterent the US and ROK need a stable and incredibly strong alliance which they don't atm and this is due to Trump.

Fishmanpa
16-01-18, 16:30
It's time to start drilling a hole in the backyard in case of a nuclear attack :yesyes: time to live like those from the Hunger Games in District 13. I doubt the government are going to make shelters like they did in London during the WW1/2? Bombings

I remember the sirens going off when I was a child and hiding under our desks in school (the 60's). I remember the absolute deathly fear of being obliterated by a nuclear bomb. There was a neighbor who actually had a fallout shelter in their back yard. A couple of friends and I checked it out (yeah, we trespassed ;) ) It was pretty much deserted but it really was a shelter complete with canned goods, gas masks etc. That same fear has been revived in light of today's international climate.

In light of that climate and what happened in Hawaii, I believe it's time the US and the World review their procedures and inform/educate the public. If human error can cause close to 40 minutes of absolute panic in the streets, what would happen if something like that happened where you live?

I also wonder what parents tell their children about Trump. What do you say if they call something or someone a "S***hole" and say "The president said it!"? How do you deal with them using derogatory nicknames like Trump uses on Twitter? What if you're Caucasian and your child has a friend of color from Haiti, El Salvador or Africa and your child asked why the president doesn't want them here? The news is practically "R" rated these days. Do you let them watch? When the news is saying the president lies, what do you tell your children?

I worry more for the children who are growing up in this very negative, divisive and frankly scary time! :weep:

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
17-01-18, 05:41

I'll slap on my copy of Mad Max so I know how to behave afterwards :biggrin:

mezzaninedoor
17-01-18, 11:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6U9T3R3EQg

Protect & Survive

Noivous
17-01-18, 17:46
I just saw the movie Darkest Hour. A good film (albeit a little Hollywood thrown in) and Gary Oldman did a great job with the role of Winston Churchill.

As I watched the movie I couldn't help think of President Trump standing up to the Korean midget as Churchill stood up to Hitler when many in the world wanted to appease the maniac. Appeasement doesn't work.

mezzaninedoor
17-01-18, 18:22
As I watched the movie I couldn't help think of President Trump standing up to the Korean midget as Churchill stood up to Hitler when many in the world wanted to appease the maniac. Appeasement doesn't work.

Theres standing up and theres idiocy, Trump doesn't stand up to NK in a statesmanlike way sadly.

B3521
17-01-18, 18:27
I just saw the movie Darkest Hour. A good film (albeit a little Hollywood thrown in) and Gary Oldman did a great job with the role of Winston Churchill.

As I watched the movie I couldn't help think of President Trump standing up to the Korean midget as Churchill stood up to Hitler when many in the world wanted to appease the maniac. Appeasement doesn't work.Hitler didn't have thermonuclear weapons. There's also appeasement and being pragmatic. NK have thermonuclear weapons capable of killing millions in one strike and most probably causing a nuclear winter and perhaps a world war . It's not Iraq were talking about here with surgical strikes.

Noivous
17-01-18, 22:24
Well let me ask you then...how has Kowtowing worked thus far? I'm with Churchill..I mean Trump.

B3521
17-01-18, 22:58
Well let me ask you then...how has Kowtowing worked thus far? I'm with Churchill..I mean Trump.It has stopped a nuclear war.
What's the answer? Starting a nuclear war where millions are killed and most probably the States eats a nuke or two? The only way unless you want a catastrophic war is detterence,it worked against Russia during the Cold War. The answer is not to antagonise and make NK so paranoid that they think the US is about to attack them so then they launch everything they have.
Why on earth would you think poking a nuclear hornets nest is a good idea? KJU will never ever give up his nuclear weapons and any war would have unbelievably bad effects on not only the region but the US and the world.

mezzaninedoor
17-01-18, 23:16
Who is kowtowing to them or has been in recent times, no one. China/Russia humours NK but the rest of the world is involved in UN sanctions.

Trump uses language like a petulant child, he is no Churchill sorry..... though no doubt he thinks he is the best, most stable genius in any room !?!?

MyNameIsTerry
18-01-18, 01:29
UN sanctions don't achieve anything though, that's the point. They tried, he just laughed in their faces. So, do you keep flogging that dead horse or try something different? And does a rich leader care much about his citizens living in a bit more poverty given how he treats them?

Churchill is the one we remember for his willingness to take on Hitler. Beyond that there is a history they don't teach us Tony so you might be able to compare him to Trump if you want to :winks:

Putin stood up to Obama over Syria. The US ended up backing off, he called their bluff. If Putin backed off to appease the US would the US have just walked away or carried on with an agenda to get a US friendly government that benefitted them?

Hollow
18-01-18, 08:47
Churchill was a drunk war monger who refused several peace offers from Hitler and dragged Britain into a war that most people didn't want and as a result destroyed the British empire. History is written by winners.

MyNameIsTerry
18-01-18, 09:28
Churchill was a drunk war monger who refused several peace offers from Hitler and dragged Britain into a war that most people didn't want and as a result destroyed the British empire. History is written by winners.

Hitler & peace don't go together. For understanding of this, we can look to the men & women who fought against him.

bubx
18-01-18, 10:26
There is no "good" side to war, however, in the whole scheme of things, Hitler did cause greater harm to the values of humanity than Churchill

Hollow
18-01-18, 10:36
Hitler & peace don't go together. For understanding of this, we can look to the men & women who fought against him.

Nazis offered peace with the Allies in 1941… but only if they were allowed to invade Russia

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2433733/How-Nazis-offered-peace-treaty-World-War-II-meant-selling-Russians.html

He refused to allow the Third Reich a clear path to attack the Eastern Front - because he did not trust Hitler's promises and it would have jeopardised his efforts to involve the U.S in the raging war, Mr Padfield says.

The author claims the Prime Minister was determined to beat Hitler and he did not want to destroy a coalition of European governments, so the offer was not made public.

This war was about Churchill's ego and his strings were being pulled from elsewhere. Men and women fought in Iraq too over a pack of lies so what does that have to do with anything.

MyNameIsTerry
18-01-18, 10:41
Nazis offered peace with the Allies in 1941… but only if they were allowed to invade Russia

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2433733/How-Nazis-offered-peace-treaty-World-War-II-meant-selling-Russians.html

He refused to allow the Third Reich a clear path to attack the Eastern Front - because he did not trust Hitler's promises and it would have jeopardised his efforts to involve the U.S in the raging war, Mr Padfield says.

The author claims the Prime Minister was determined to beat Hitler and he did not want to destroy a coalition of European governments, so the offer was not made public.

This war was about Churchill's ego and his strings were being pulled from elsewhere. Men and women fought in Iraq too over a pack of lies so what does that have to do with anything.

I guess that answers why he was so angry as to commit atrocities then? We upset him.

Weren't the Daily Mail in support of Hitler back then?