PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of rabies after bat encounter

jamiecatherine
22-09-17, 20:41
I've been a ghost on this forum but quite some time, but now that I feel so hopeless, I hope you all can give me some advice.

About three weeks ago, I was performing at a football game with my university color guard. The girls were saying there were bats flying above us while we were waiting in the stands between quarters of the game, and I was instantly triggered. I've had a phobia of rabies for the past three years, which as set my health back countless times... But it's never gotten this bad.

When I got home, I noticed marks on my hand that looked similar to what might be a bat bite. I don't remember the bats coming near us. I asked the girls constantly throughout the weeks if the bats came near us, and they all told me no... When I think about it, it wouldn't make sense. We were in a group, why would a bat single me out? How could a bat get near me without anyone else knowing? I was very aware of the bats, too... so how could they come near me without me noticing? The band was playing tunes, which would probably keep the bats away, right? I didn't feel anything touch my hand. But, I've searched the web enough to know that people have been bitten by bats without even knowing it.

I told myself that the marks could have been anything... I had just come from my job at Starbucks, an 8 hour shift, before going to the game that day. But now, I regret not going to the hospital as soon as I found the marks. The picture of my hand the night I saw these marks is attached.

For the past two weeks, all I have been able to think about is how I'm going to die of rabies. I've had a headache that comes and goes for two weeks. Sometimes it's a pain that feels constricting around my entire front of head, other times sharp pains on the side. My head is starting to feel so tight that I even feel pressure in my ears. My hand where the "bite" was located tingles from time to time. Last night, I developed a tight chest, which is only making me think I'm closer to death... I feel like I have to pee all the time. These "symptoms" are terrifying. I know they could all be from anxiety, but I'm so afraid that it's because I'm going to die.

I went to an urgent care clinic last week, where I showed the doctor a picture of what was on my hand, and he told me that I definitely had not been bitten by a bat. He prescribed me Hydroxyzine for anxiety. It calms my nerves but doesn't help with my physical symptoms. I've been going to my school's therapist, who told me that if I would have been able to tell if a bat got close enough to bite me. I even have a friend who works with bats look at the picture of my hand, too, and tell me that what was on my hand doesn't look like a bite from a bat, and that I would have been able to feel it.

I'm really at a loss of what to do. I'm about to see another doctor today to see what they have to say... Thank you to anyone who provides feedback/support.

paranoid-viking
22-09-17, 20:50
No.
Rabies is apparenty the new "fashion" in the cybercondria world. Or maybe it is a trend among posters here; "the invisible bat" is a recurring theme here.
I repeat what a doc told me when I had my riddicilous rabies scare in 2003: "if you had rabies you would not be able to sit here and talk with me". And you would not be able to sit here and write that you fear you have rabies.
You dont have rabies. NOBODY who post here about rabies have rabies. One in 500 million people in the world, if not less have rabies. Or something.
I say: save your worries to you`ll need them. I dont see anything special on your hand picture.

Fishmanpa
22-09-17, 20:56
The rabies rabbit hole is as deep if not deeper than the ALS rabbit hole. I believe that those fearing these illnesses would make great fiction writers ;)

I think going to the doctor would be a waste of time and money unless you go to talk about your anxiety and ask for help.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

Bigboyuk
22-09-17, 21:07
Think in your last paragraph you have said it all, you seen a dr and a friend (who I presume you trust!) and you are seeing a therapist they all said no you havent been bitten by a bat now its up to you to believe them its clear you have anxiety so get this treated and you are on the road to recovery simple as take care cheers

paranoid-viking
22-09-17, 21:24
The rabies rabbit hole is as deep if not deeper than the ALS rabbit hole. I believe that those fearing these illnesses would make great fiction writers ;)

Mybe they shoud be consultants for some of those medical shows like Dr.House and such. Where they ocasionally have totally unbelievable medical cases. I think one of those old school medical shows; ER or Chicago Hope or something had some patient with rabies in one episode.

au Lait
22-09-17, 22:02
I'm sorry you're going through this. I've had a rabies HA scare as well, so I do know exactly how you feel. It's 100% just your anxiety. A bat simply couldn't bite a fully conscious person without them being aware of it. This is what HA does. It makes us believe the impossible is possible, even when we logically KNOW it simply cannot be. This is how anxiety disorders work. Reality becomes twisted in our minds, as a way to justify the constant fight or flight sensations that our body is experiencing.

You already know all of this. You know it's not a bat bite. You must ignore what your anxiety is telling you to think. It's not easy, but you can do it. Sometimes the best you can do is wait it out, and try to remember this the next time anxiety tries to convince you that you're dying. Remember all the other times you were convinced you were going to die and nothing bad happened. This will pass and you will be fine.

paranoid-viking
23-09-17, 12:36

I think going to the doctor would be a waste of time and money unless you go to talk about your anxiety and ask for help.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

Yes, I notice that many are scared of ALS. I never been BTW. I just read the symptoms just for interests, and was frankly not triggered. Very vague symptoms actually that can mean anything. Muscle pains here and there were one of them aparently, and if that means ALS then I have had it for 20 years. And I can walk and talk and function. A medical miracle.