PDA

View Full Version : I planted some trees today and it helped

Leah88
23-09-17, 06:45
Just an idea. I planted some large ficus trees today ( a suggestion from a psychologist) he said theres a lot of proof that planting and watching trees grow helps with anxiety. I should soon have a forest in my backyard.

MyNameIsTerry
23-09-17, 07:19
Gardening is very rewarding. Nature helps with grounding.

Doing some manual garden work is good exercise and with the fresh air and nice scenery it does help. I find just sweeping up and tidying helps me alone.

I have find memories of working with my dad when I was a young lad, he was a landscape gardener for most of his life, and it was the most rewarding work I ever did. It made me feel good and there was a sense of achievement that you just don't get in office work where so much of everything is on a computer or bits of paper just replaced with more bits of paper.

I hope it helps you. :flowers:

Leah88
23-09-17, 08:08
Definitely Terry, I work in a depressing hospital office so the garden is definetly rewarding. I too grew up with a gardening father ( he owned a nursery) and i also have great memories of going in the greenhouses.

pulisa
23-09-17, 08:18
I think there's a lot to be said for being outside and away from the constrictions of four walls. Also being immersed in an activity which requires concentration and which will bring visible results (eventually with trees!) A great diversion from body scanning and Dr Google addiction too.

I'm not a gardener but my mother was and got a huge amount of pleasure from her garden. My Dad took it over after she died and kept it going beautifully as his tribute to her.

I know how therapeutic gardening must be and I hope you find contentment with your potential "forest", Leah!

Lilliput
23-09-17, 09:41
Agree that doing something in the garden helps with relaxation and grounding.
I guess you're planting small things as well - they perform a bit faster than trees!
Have fun.

KK77
23-09-17, 12:14
Gardening, and simply being outside in the fresh air, is excellent exercise and mentally-emotionally calming. My garden turns into a forest in no time so I'm always out there wary of bumping into any hungry bears :scared15: