PDA

View Full Version : Scared, need help

walkerbull
23-09-17, 07:16
I only got 1 hours sleep last night because I keep thinking about ringing in my left ear that becomes worse when I think about it.

I am worried it is permanent, I am also scared about going to bed an not being able to get to sleep.

Gary A
23-09-17, 08:08
I only got 1 hours sleep last night because I keep thinking about ringing in my left ear that becomes worse when I think about it.

I am worried it is permanent, I am also scared about going to bed an not being able to get to sleep.

So you can't sleep because you're worried about not being able to get to sleep?

KK77
23-09-17, 11:46

Leave TV on in background or some white noise playing. It usually does clear up on its own but depends how long it's been going on for and potential causes like some medications.

Sometimes it simply goes when anxiety levels are lowered.

melfish
23-09-17, 15:49
The more you focus on and fear it, the louder and more distracting it will seem. You are training your brain that this noise is threatening, and your brain is responding with adrenaline and cortisol. You need to stop reacting to it, because you are just reinforcing that neural pathway. It's the same principle with eye floaters. Your brain eventually learns to tune them out.

I have permanent tinnitus in my left ear and some hearing loss. My tinnitus is 24/7 and actually gets worse when there is background noise, especially something like central heating or the dishwasher running. It likes to compete. The point is, I rarely notice it except when I pay it attention and draw it into my consciousness. For the most part, my brain just filters it out as an unimportant stimulus. When I'm stressed, however, and hyperaware of my body, it immediately comes into the foreground.