PDA

View Full Version : plastic/metal fumes in contact with eyes and inhalation

Annaines
23-09-17, 20:15
Hi guys so I've been reheating some soup today for dinner. It has taken a while and I started to wonder why it isn't boiling. After a couple of moments, I realised that I turned on the wrong stove and an empty pot with a lid on was the one that was heating up. I took the lid off and then my eyes started to burn and water immediately. I turned everything off and went to the bathroom to rinse my eyes. It didn't smell particularly bad and after inspection, the pot wasn't even burning, but there was something in the air that flew right into my eyes. I'm scared that I have caused some permanent damage to my eyes or that I have damaged my nervous system. I inhaled it only once, but I feel all shaken up from this thing. It's been a few hours and I'm still thinking about it and feeling nauseous and weak. I've been dealing with anxiety for quite a long time, but I've just recently moved to a new place for the university. It's been an exciting week, but now I feel bad because I don't know what's going on with my body I feel like crying and the loud noises are startling me.

au Lait
24-09-17, 03:32
I don't think there would have been any chemicals coming from the pot that could hurt you. It's meant to prepare food in, so it should be safe to heat, even without anything in it. Probably just the heat irritated your eyes a bit. There's no way you could have perminantly damaged your eyes from the situation you described. It sounds like you're going through a particularly stressful time at the moment and your anxiety is being triggered due to that. Don't worry, you'll be fine.