PDA

View Full Version : Arm numbness?

vincy
23-09-17, 21:29
Hi all

I'm sitting here right now and my left arm near my shoulder is feeling strange. Not sure if numb is the right word...but similar. Sort of like the feeling you get when a limb falls asleep when there are no pins and needles.

I've heard that anxiety in itself can cause this... I'm just trying to figure out the most likely cause

I fell asleep in a weird position last night as I was laying in a weird position for a long period of time already...

If you have a good ability to visualize...
I was laying in bed on my stomach with my arms out in front of me to type on my laptop keyboard, with my chin slightly raised on top of a small pillow. I am a relatively big person and my arms DO fall asleep pretty easily when my shoulders are in such positions, but I wasn't feeling it at the time.

I was laying like that with my girlfriend next to me coding for probably 10-12 hours, and then fell asleep in that position which was around another 5 hours.

I've never had this feeling just linger before when it is just falling asleep... it is usually much stronger and goes away fast. I've been awake for a while now and it is still just kind of lingering there.

I just tested my strength (since I work out at home anyways lol) and all strength and range of motion is normal. Does this just have something to do with my position? How is it lasting this long?

Thanks

au Lait
24-09-17, 03:37
It sounds like muscle fatigue or maybe even a pinched nerve from lying in an unusual position. I assume it will go away in 24-48 hours. I'm pretty sure I remember the same thing happening to me before and it did resolve on its own. If it lasts more than a couple days then it may be a good idea to ask a dr about it. But I honestly don't think it's anything to worry about.