PDA

View Full Version : Cold medicine

Hypomean
24-09-17, 02:50
I've been dealing with a cold. I've been taking meds only in the day the recommended every 4 hours. Taking it easy is not an option right now so I am taking the day quill equivalent meds. And I was fine but right now about 30 minutes after my last dosage I feel this tightness in my chest and anxiety, these last few days I've kinda been numb to emotions and I have not been dealing with anxiety. But now I am. I don't know if it's from the cold meds. Do you guys get like this? I have jaw pain and just this wired up energy.

My sides have begun to hurt. I have been drinking lots of water. But I noticed that after a few doses of pain meds I always get flank pain.

Another thing. My bad leg and hips hurt a lot more last night. which made me fear DVT. But it's just the joint pains I get when sick. I will admit right now with the heart pounding and increased anxiety and heat tightness I am starting to fear it again. I am trying to calm those fears. I feel like I won't have the patience. And will probably be back here posting about my heart or something else.

I should lighten up on the cold medicine. I just can not take anytime off right now. Any "natural" methods that you may recommend will greatly be appreciated :)

au Lait
24-09-17, 02:59
I've had a panic attack induced by cold medicine once before. I'm not sure what ingredient in it caused the attack. My best guess is that perhaps it contained caffeine as it was a non drowsy type of cold medicine. Sorry you're sick. Drinking something soothing like warm milk or tea always seems to help me. Hope you feel better soon.

Hypomean
24-09-17, 03:53
I've had a panic attack induced by cold medicine once before. I'm not sure what ingredient in it caused the attack. My best guess is that perhaps it contained caffeine as it was a non drowsy type of cold medicine. Sorry you're sick. Drinking something soothing like warm milk or tea always seems to help me. Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you au lait.
I went to try and look up the possible side effects and as soon as I read that the aspirin in the meds can cause some issues. I stopped.
I am trying to breath through the anxiety and telling myself now that it's the caffeine in the med. I have a tendency to look at my pulse on my wrist(if I put my wrist at an angle i can see my pulse) and I saw it wasn't really "beating" right and it started freaking me out. I felt dizzy. And now I'm fearing for my heart

Well sure enough I'm scared now.

I'll be trying out the warm milk right now see if it helps with the cold and the anxiety.

I've been afraid of medicines affecting my heart. I always only take it unless I'm in really bad shape or pain. But with not really caring the other day I just went for it so I could feel better. I just wish I can be like I was the last few days not really giving in to my heart fears.

au Lait
24-09-17, 05:24
I know how you feel, I often avoid taking meds too due to fear of having a panic attack. Don't worry, the sensations you're feeling right now are just anxiety along with the cold. Being sick means your immunity is working over time and that makes you more susceptible to feeling anxious and physically drained. If your pulse seems off it's only due to feeling anxious. The medicine might make you feel funny but it can't truly harm you.

When I had a cold med induced panic attack my heart was racing and I felt like I was out of control. At the time I didn't realize what was happening, I thought the medication was causing some kind of adverse physical reaction. Eventually it passed and I felt better. It wasn't until later that I realized that it had just triggered a regular old run of the mill panic attack.

AntsyVee
24-09-17, 07:20
It could also just be anxiety, and have nothing to do with the cold medicine whatsoever. Since your anxiety was bad even before you caught a cold, I think this is the more likely story.