PDA

View Full Version : Health media bombardment - does it make you more anxious?

dorabella
24-09-17, 19:51
Do you ever feel like there is a media conspiracy targeting you every minute of every day with 'health' advice, research on this, tests on that, don't eat this, don't drink that blah blah blah... it is making my head spin and only serves to increase my health anxieties if I don't check myself.

Getting this stuff from the media is bad enough -you can discount it to some extent - but now I'm getting it from my surgery and even the dentist! Letters and emails - get tested for this and get tested for that ...it just doesn't stop. I have never 'haunted my GP surgery - I only go when when there is something to go for - and quite frankly I don't trust the NHS to do anything properly.
So many reports of lost records, false diagnoses -I don't think I could live with inevitable anxiety.... Why don't they just leave us alone??

Anyone else feel this way??

KK77
24-09-17, 19:58
Sitting in the surgery waiting room is enough to give you HA, with all the posters to get every part of you "checked" and watch out for x, y, z symptom. I usually have a cig outside and tell reception to call me in when it's my turn :shades:

dorabella
24-09-17, 21:28
Like the approach KK77 - don't let them get at you. These people will make you scared of your own shadow!

MyNameIsTerry
25-09-17, 05:46
We have a table in my surgury reception with leaflets on it for stuff like this and a board on the wall. There is also a TV monitor that shows health stuff on loop but it's been broken and they are too cheap to pay to fix it (it was also the calling system but they reverted to the speakers when it broke). There is another board in the hall as you walk in.

Some of it is just helpful agencies, what to do's, certain conditions that need support or age groups, etc.

The same at my dentist but a small table and a working TV on loop.

It's their business, at least it's relevant. The same with the pharmacies including the ones in the supermarkets.

The TV stuff can be annoying though.

Mine have been proactive for a while up putting posters about when not to go to a doctor and speak to a pharmacist instead. And the receptionists can be like trying to get past the Gestapo for anything (other than one very helpful, friendly woman who is goldust down there).

I think what I mostly get sick of are the endless posters everywhere and the over the top TV adverts showing the rarest of things happening to completely healthy looking people. :doh:

PanickyGuy
25-09-17, 06:46
I hate the drug company commercials on TV that mention their deadly side effects that could kill you or that you may have if you take their drug. And then - AND THEN a damn drug lawsuit advertisement sometimes come on right after the drug company commercials (not coincidentally suing the drug company that came on before, but what the hell...they might as well, right) and list off the deadly side effects or symptoms people got (and that's if they're still alive to sue anybody, mind you) from taking a drug that was just recently taken off the frigin' market! :doh:

Although I've not taken any of those drugs or ended up being a victim in a lawsuit, but it's like; What the "F" are you doing to me here?! Because for some reason it just screws with my HA. I don't know if it's because of all the death\dying negativity delivered in double shot like that or what. But it really pisses me off to no end and upsets the crap out of me! :lac:

paranoid-viking
25-09-17, 10:33
Do you ever feel like there is a media conspiracy targeting you every minute of every day with 'health' advice, research on this, tests on that, don't eat this, don't drink that blah blah blah... it is making my head spin and only serves to increase my health anxieties if I don't check myself.

Getting this stuff from the media is bad enough -you can discount it to some extent - but now I'm getting it from my surgery and even the dentist! Letters and emails - get tested for this and get tested for that ...it just doesn't stop. I have never 'haunted my GP surgery - I only go when when there is something to go for - and quite frankly I don't trust the NHS to do anything properly.
So many reports of lost records, false diagnoses -I don't think I could live with inevitable anxiety.... Why don't they just leave us alone??

Anyone else feel this way??

Yes, they are crying wolf to such an extent that in the end it may be counter-productive. Some may start to disbelieve any health advice due to excessive scaremongering. Some people argue that it is a nescessary evil; I disagree. There is such a thing as common sense. You dont need scaremongering sh*t telleing you that ocasional mild stomach pain means that you have the deadliest of cancers.