PDA

View Full Version : Can't blow for six seconds with Spirometry test. Help!

Lily83
25-09-17, 04:26
I have taken two spirometry tests and each one I could only blow all my air out in three seconds. Both times they said it's normal, but the first one who took my test scared me saying that his elderly patients can blow for six seconds.

Is this normal? I blew out as fast as I could, but no more air was coming out after 3 seconds! I'm so upset! Does this mean I have COPD? Why can't I blow out for six seconds. They told me to blow all the air out hard and fast straight away. Results normal, but only last for 3 seconds?

What does this mean? I need to exercise and build up my lung capacity? :weep:

MyNameIsTerry
25-09-17, 04:36
The elderly are unlikely to be able to blow out quite so hard so make take longer. Perhaps he needed to explain why so you didn't worry?

If it's considered within normal range though, that's fine. As an asthma sufferer my ablity to blow out is less than a non asthma sufferer in general but as long as it's in range for my sex, age and health conditions I'm fine.

Lily83
25-09-17, 05:10
Do you mean your ability to blow out hard during the first second or not being able to reach six seconds? Sorry I don't understand. I have no oxygen left to blow out after 3 seconds, but I don't wheeze or anything. Do I have asthma?

MyNameIsTerry
27-09-17, 01:41
I'm not saying you have asthma, your GP's treatment would suggest he/she doesn't believe that or they would at least be giving some Reliever inhalers to help you out rather than trying to relax your muscles which won't stop the asthma element or control it (although tense muscles make it harder for someone with asthma too).

But I don't think a lot of people could reach 6 seconds with a hard outbreath. I doubt I could and whilst my asthma has worsened a bit due to inactivity & age, I'm still healthy.

I think the guy saying that has planted a doubt that you don't need. You are in normal range therefore there is nothing to pursue from that test. Working on the muscular tension is likely to help a great deal.