PDA

View Full Version : Very worried about daughter, again. PLEASE READ!

BrokenGirl
25-09-17, 09:38
I've been worried about my 9 year old daughter on and off over the past few months. What started it off was a weird sensation she was getting in her feet. I panicked, thinking along the lines of MS or something. My husband thought I was mad and he blamed her heely shoes for the feet thing.
She has mentioned it a few times since but nothing major and I've tried to keep a level head about it. Then she said once or twice that her finger felt weird, but again that could have been anything.
This morning when she was getting ready for school I went into her room to make sure she was getting dressed. She was dressed and was lying on the floor "pretending" to be asleep - just messing around. She had no shoes on so I rubbed the sole of her foot thinking she'd jump but she just lay still. Then I pinched her knee and she jumped up and laughed. I didn't say anything to her but I'm scared were her feet numb and she didn't feel me rubbing them. Or are some people not ticklish on the soles of their feet?
Surely if her feet were numb she'd notice it when she was walking around. And she tends to tell me EVERYTHING!
Am I completely over reacting again? I just wish I hadn't tried to tickle her feet. I was doing well the last few days (which is a long time for me) and then this happens. Am I joining dots that shouldn't be joined, looking too much into it?

Leah88
25-09-17, 10:22
It's ridiculously rare for a child her age to have a neurological disorder. It would have been her shoes. She might pronate or supinate.

Midnight-mouse
25-09-17, 10:27
I've been worried about my 9 year old daughter on and off over the past few months. What started it off was a weird sensation she was getting in her feet. I panicked, thinking along the lines of MS or something. My husband thought I was mad and he blamed her heely shoes for the feet thing.

She has mentioned it a few times since but nothing major and I've tried to keep a level head about it. Then she said once or twice that her finger felt weird, but again that could have been anything.

This morning when she was getting ready for school I went into her room to make sure she was getting dressed. She was dressed and was lying on the floor "pretending" to be asleep - just messing around. She had no shoes on so I rubbed the sole of her foot thinking she'd jump but she just lay still. Then I pinched her knee and she jumped up and laughed. I didn't say anything to her but I'm scared were her feet numb and she didn't feel me rubbing them. Or are some people not ticklish on the soles of their feet?

Surely if her feet were numb she'd notice it when she was walking around. And she tends to tell me EVERYTHING!

Am I completely over reacting again? I just wish I hadn't tried to tickle her feet. I was doing well the last few days (which is a long time for me) and then this happens. Am I joining dots that shouldn't be joined, looking too much into it?

I used to do this as a child, my feet are ticklish but I could ignore it and enjoy it as a kid. But also if you were just rubbing them rather than tickling then I would expect it just felt nice. I really don't think you have anything to worry about here. I think with the sort of things you are worried about it is very obvious when something is wrong with a child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ServerError
25-09-17, 12:44
Nine year olds are almost never diagnosed with MS. It's starts to become more common in mid to late teens and becomes rarer again from the mid thirties. But it's not particularly common anyway, and presenting symptoms, though varied, are rarely vague.

I'll be blunt here as I feel it's needed - having seen your posting history, I'm concerned your daughter is at risk of developing an anxiety disorder herself. I wonder if some of the things she describes are ploys for attention. Based on what you describe, it certainly doesn't sound as if you conceal your anxiety well around her.

I don't say this to insult you, and I hope I'm wrong, of course. Perhaps you'll come back and explain that she never sees you at your most anxious. But if you agree that she's overly exposed to it, I'd implore you to start taking some serious action for the good of both of you.

Fishmanpa
25-09-17, 12:56
I'll be blunt here as I feel it's needed - having seen your posting history, I'm concerned your daughter is at risk of developing an anxiety disorder herself. I wonder if some of the things she describes are ploys for attention. Based on what you describe, it certainly doesn't sound as if you conceal your anxiety well around her.

I wonder this about many here. My mother had it and as I was always getting sick as a kid, I think it exasperated her issues. I know for a fact I played her a few times to get what I wanted when I was a kid. My sister has anxiety and I'm sure it came from my Mom. My ex suffers from severe depression. My daughter suffers too.... I believe there are some genetic pre-dispositions for developing mental health issues and I know, based on my experience, much is environmental too.

Children are WAY more perceptive then we give them credit for. Even hiding, or trying to hide anxiety, depression, marital problems etc. does not stop them from picking up something isn't right. I know this too from experience as my daughter recognized there were problems with the marriage prior to the divorce.

Positive thoughts

BrokenGirl
25-09-17, 18:04
Nine year olds are almost never diagnosed with MS. It's starts to become more common in mid to late teens and becomes rarer again from the mid thirties. But it's not particularly common anyway, and presenting symptoms, though varied, are rarely vague.

I don't say this to insult you, and I hope I'm wrong, of course. Perhaps you'll come back and explain that she never sees you at your most anxious. But if you agree that she's overly exposed to it, I'd implore you to start taking some serious action for the good of both of you.

I totally get what you're saying Server. I know I've been panicking a lot the last few months about her, and about myself too. But I do my best not to let her see it. She definitely doesn't see me at my worst but I can't say that she doesn't see any of my anxieties. Whether my daughter, myself or any other member of my family is ill or not, I do realise that I need help when it comes to my HA. I'm not in a position financially at the moment to get therapy but am hoping to go at some stage in the future.
And I get what Fishman is saying too - kids pick up on so many things, a lot more than we would think.
The last thing I want is for my anxiety to start rubbing off on my daughter, that would break my heart. I know first hand how debilitating it is and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
For now I'm just going to have to try to be more calm and level headed in front of her no matter what I feel like on the inside. Easier said than done though......

kimwolf
26-09-17, 17:42
Even if her feet were numb she would still "feel" it. I mean even when your foot falls asleep you can still feel it. At her age all she needs to worry about is if she wants pizza or chicken nuggets for dinner. These disorders just don't happen in children