PDA

View Full Version : Panicking post-colonoscopy

budgie1979
25-09-17, 19:39
Just had a colonoscopy this morning after dealing with bowel problems for months and two incidents of rectal bleeding. The doctor came in during recovery, and I was not really "aware" enough to ask questions. Findings were internal hemorrhoids (I assume this is where the bleeding came from) and two polyps which were removed. The discharge paperwork stated that a 12mm polyp was found in the cecum and a 4 mm in the sigmoid colon. I fully expected some polyps to be found, but I'm freaking out about the size and location of the larger one. Everything I've read says polyps over 1 cm have a higher rate of malignancy, and the cecum is a more concerning location.

My follow up appointment isn't for over 3 weeks, and I don't know how I can possibly wait that long for pathology results. My discharge paperwork recommends repeat colonoscopy in 1 year, which is way sooner than I expected. Does that mean the doctor thinks I might have cancer?

nomorepanic
25-09-17, 19:52
No it doesn't necessarily mean cancer and if they suspected it then they would have said something.

I had polyps removed and the area where one was removed was tattooed so when I had a repeat colonoscopy a year later they could see if it had grown back or not.

budgie1979
26-09-17, 16:17
Thanks Nicola. I'm trying to remind myself that most polyps do not contain cancer, and even if cancer is found, it would be early stage with a high cure rate. It's just particularly rough because I had hoped this colonoscopy would put some of my anxieties to rest, but it just raised new ones. I do know that it's good that I had the procedure so that the polyps could be found and removed, I just hate this waiting for results part and not knowing what comes next. I've booked an appointment with my therapist for tomorrow to talk this over; I wish I could just be more hopeful about things like this instead of always fearing for the worst.

Becks1978
20-02-18, 12:16
Hi Nicola and budgie 1979
Just wondered how you got on budgie as I went for a sigmoidoscopy yesterday and they took a 7mm polyp from my sigmoid colon and it has gone to be biopsied. Even though the consultant has said it looked benign, it was fine and that my bowel was healthy I'm panicking for the results which aren't until 16th march why do I always think the worst in situations like this my husband wouldn't he is totally different, ended up balling in front of the co sultant xx

nomorepanic
20-02-18, 13:59
They would have told you at the time if they suspected anything so I am pretty certain it will be fine.