PDA

View Full Version : Red, swollen nipple :(

xofeatherxo
26-09-17, 00:46
Welp, I missed you guys but I hate that I'm back. It's been a long time and I've been doing well. Minor symptoms have come up, I've let them run their course, all has been well... until this morning...

So. My left nipple is weird now. It hurts, and it's a little redder than usual and the redness spreads into the areola a little bit. I googled it (first time in YEARS) and now I'm thinking inflammatory breast cancer. :/

But I've also tried new laundry stuff lately and bought new bras that are kind of tight, so it could be that? It's also been hot lately and I've been sweating so maybe heat rash? But if it was that, why only one nipple?? :scared15: I didn't miss this constant sense of panic AT ALL

So, until this is resolved, I guess I'm back. :weep:

becca98
26-09-17, 00:47
Hello, I don't want to scare you, but if it carries on get it checked out [emoji5] I'm sure you don't have cancer though, how old are you? [emoji5] I have the same worries about my breast atm, but not the red nipple! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xofeatherxo
26-09-17, 00:57
22. My plan is to give it a week, maybe, and make a doctor's appointment if it doesn't go away or if it gets worse :(

Annaboodle
26-09-17, 08:47
Hi, I know in a way it's annoying to hear, but you are extremely young so it is highly unlikely to be anything sinister. When I read your post I thought that more fitted or different bras have done that to me in the past and sometimes they chaff (rub) against the nipple. Detergent could also do that as you're saying if you have a reaction. I get terrible heat rash too and synthetic fibres make it worse. Can you go back to wearing your most comfy bra cotton or a vest top for a couple of days and see? Also be good if you can post to update as people often post these worries and then don't x

thestruggle
26-09-17, 10:31
I sometimes notice one nipple will be more red and swollen looking than the other...it's weird and I've found no real reason for it, except maybe one rubs against my bra more? Now and again my left looks bigger than the right one and bit red around it too... this morning, just had a little peek inside my bra (as you do at work!) and both are the same size and paler colour today. I'm wearing a very comfy soft bra though :) Do you wear really strong perfumes or do anything that might be irritating you? I guess it's possible one could be more sensitive to stuff than the other.. If you can try a much softer bra for a bit, see if that helps you :D

xofeatherxo
28-09-17, 00:03
Thanks for all the advice and reassurance, everyone. As of yesterday it's pretty much cleared up on its own and all looks normal now.

My guess is irritation from one thing or another, or heat rash. Another possibility is PMS, my breasts usually get sore before my period, particularly the nipples, and I did start my period yesterday morning. I read that hormonal imbalances can cause redness around the nipple, so it's possible.

Either way I'll still be keeping a close eye on it and maybe I'll mention it at my next checkup, get a professional opinion. Thanks again everyone :happy:

Annaboodle
28-09-17, 09:40
That's great it's cleared up and thanks for taking the time to update us :) x

AussieWorrier
01-10-17, 07:41
its probably an allergic reaction to detergents or the shower gel or soap you use. I used this soap on my body for a while and developed a very itchy left nipple. I checked it with a magnifying glass and the only thing I could see was it looked dry and flaky so I started using coconut oil on it and went back to my old moisturisng shower cream and it settled down. Could also be from the heat or cold weather too. Dont worry :)

xofeatherxo
05-10-17, 15:40
Another update now that I may have identified a cause-- my deodorant?

I've always had trouble with deodorant. Some kinds make my armpit itch, some give me an underarm rash, and the most extreme case gave me red, raw, inflamed, excruciatingly painful armpits.

Last summer at the height of my health anxiety I switched to a natural deodorant (http://katjuju.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/crystaldeo.jpg) that didn't irritate my skin and held up surprisingly well while I worked outside in the heat. But I love variety, so I eventually started trying other deodorants like Old Spice (what can I say, I enjoy smelling like a lesbian :P). Had a few minor reactions but nothing too bad.

Well a few weeks ago I decided to try some of Old Spice's newer, supposedly stronger varieties. The nipple irritation started shortly after. It would clear up then come back intermittently, and I didn't realize at the time that the pattern lined up with when I put on the deodorant and how often I reapplied.

A few days ago while cleaning the bathroom cabinet I found my old salt stick deodorant and decided, hey, one more potential irritant I can cut out!

It's been progressively improving since. So, long story short, I'm done with traditional deodorants forever. I highly recommend the deodorant I linked to for anyone with breast/lymph node related anxiety. It's natural, it works (I mentioned before that I work outside a lot and do very active labor-- this deodorant holds up for my whole work day and much of the night). It won't stop you from sweating, but there's no odor whatsoever and to me, that's worth it just for the peace of mind of keeping a few more harsh chemicals out of my body. You can get it pretty much anywhere, it's cheap, and one stick can last up to a year.