PDA

View Full Version : Cyanide poisoning from apple seeds??

LavenderRain
26-09-17, 07:12
Hello I am flipping out again. So it's Autumn now and I bake a lot, especially during the fall and winter months, and I decided to make some apple crisp stuff with apples and oats etc. I was chopping up the apples and accidentally cut right through one of the seeds, chopping it in half. Now I'm worried my husband and I are going to die of cyanide poisoning because we ate the food I made. No, I did not even add the seeds to it, I threw them away but I did accidentally cut the one in half and I know apple seeds release cyanide when crushed. So now I'm worried that there may have been some cyanide residue on the apples I used and I'm having a serious panic attack.. I'm nauseated like I'm about to throw up and it's hard to breathe like my throat is closing up. My husband isn't concerned at all. Please help I really don't want to go to the emergency room again, I've been there so many times in the past few months but I will go to save my life if necessary.

Midnight-mouse
26-09-17, 07:19
Hello I am flipping out again. So it's Autumn now and I bake a lot, especially during the fall and winter months, and I decided to make some apple crisp stuff with apples and oats etc. I was chopping up the apples and accidentally cut right through one of the seeds, chopping it in half. Now I'm worried my husband and I are going to die of cyanide poisoning because we ate the food I made. No, I did not even add the seeds to it, I threw them away but I did accidentally cut the one in half and I know apple seeds release cyanide when crushed. So now I'm worried that there may have been some cyanide residue on the apples I used and I'm having a serious panic attack.. I'm nauseated like I'm about to throw up and it's hard to breathe like my throat is closing up. My husband isn't concerned at all. Please help I really don't want to go to the emergency room again, I've been there so many times in the past few months but I will go to save my life if necessary.

I've believe I have eaten the seeds, I'm sure I've bitten into them too.... I really wouldn't worry about this. My partner used to eat everything but the stalk of apples. You would have to chew and eat A LOT of apple seeds to have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thestruggle
26-09-17, 10:52
I'm pretty sure you'd have to eat a ton of the seeds to get cyanide poisoning..it's a minimal amount per seed! We're talking 100+ here to even get close to a high enough dose to poison you.. I think the nausea and breathing issues you're having are anxiety..

Bigboyuk
26-09-17, 11:42
So true But there is a way round it my dog loves apples and makes a nice treat so what I do is de-core and de-pip the apple first then any small risk is eliminated totally. You have nothing to worry about and like another poster has said it's your anxiety playing havoc with you so my suggestion is to treat the cause via going to your Dr and getting a referral for help then you can recover :) HTH Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
27-09-17, 01:38
I have a pulveriser (Nutribullet first, now a lesser brand one that is far better for far less cost) and in the book for the Nutribullet it gave a list of fruits where the seeds/pips contained cyanide. It also said that eating these is fine because the human body can't break down them down enough to release it but if you pulverise it, which breaks open cells to release phyto nutrients, then it allows the body to absorb the rest.

It passes through undigested.