PDA

View Full Version : Worried about nasopharyngeal cancer...I know.

Caribou93
26-09-17, 15:55
Uh, will it ever end?

About 2 weeks ago, I was at my house and both my brother and father smoke. Well my dad was outside and I had to ask him a question, so of course I smelled some smoke. But, when I took a breath it was a large inhale through my nose, and it was almost all cigarette smoke. And it felt like my nose was burning after it happened. Now since then my nose on the right side has had a slight burning sensation now and then - almost like a slight sting. Also, I've blown my nose a few time and there was a few small dots of blood in it. It worries that something like that could start cancer to form.

I also have a weird fullness feeling with it too. My mom said it's irritated, but of course I'm worried it's the start of cancer. :weep:

orthagonal
26-09-17, 16:58
Cigarette smoke doesn't cause cancer on contact, it takes decades for the damage done by smoke (and long term exposure) to manifest itself as cancer.

Annaboodle
26-09-17, 17:17
Hi, absolutely no chance. It's a bit like someone telling you they've smoked one cigarette and are now worried that they've got lung cancer. It sounds like your mother might be right about irritation. Also if you've blown your nose a few times this can irritate the nose too.

Caribou93
26-09-17, 22:34
I mean, I sort of had in the back of my head, "people smoke for years and years and never get cancer." But, I thought since I took such a sudden and quick inhale of the cigarette smoke that it might have caused some damage. Especially since it burned when it happened, and still does on and off since it happened.

I mean, that must be some reason as to why my nose has the minor burning sensation that it does. I guess I really freaked out when I saw the blood in my mucus, when I haven't blown my nose except for those two times. It wasn't a lot by any means, it was just kind of a scary find.

If there had been no blood in my mucus, I know I wouldn't be nearly as worried about this.