PDA

View Full Version : Very heavy period after taking progesterone pills. Normal?

anxious_thoughts
26-09-17, 18:47
Hello everyone,

So after months of nonstop bleeding my doctor sent me to a gynaecologist. Pap tests came out clear, transvaginal ultrasound clear, and blood tests all cleared. However I was having so much bleeding, which I think was due to stress.

Anyways, the gyno prescribed that I go on progesterone for 10 days, and then she told me at least 72 hours after the last pill I'll start to have a period. So 5 days after my last day I started my period. Lots of cramping and not very heavy the first two days, but now it's been 3 days of very heavy bleeding, cramping, and lots of blood clots.

I'm just a little worried that it's not normal as I've never had a period this heavy before. Yesterday I had to change my pad every 3-4 hours. I have now changed my pad about an hour ago and it's already full and needs to be changed again. I'm have bad cramping along with it. But from what I've read online, the pills are literally flushing my uterus out, so it's normal to have heavy bleeding.

I'm just so scared about losing too much blood. Anyone familiar with these pills?

Leslie735
26-09-17, 22:35
I am not familiar with the pills but if the the pills are meant to clean things out that sounds about normal to me. I would phone up the doctor to ask though to be sure. Changing a pad every 3-4 hours isn't alarming to me (When I have my heavy days, usually the first 2-3 days of my period, I change my pad every 3 hours or so). I think its when you have to change a pad/tampon every hour is when it can be but like I said it sounds like the pills are just doing their job. If it continues another day or two then I would call up the doctor and see what they have to say. :bighug1:

Midnight-mouse
26-09-17, 23:47
I had a very similar experience with the pills. I would easily say that if I was sat for an hour and I stood I would easily bleed through a night pad instantly. Thank science for the implant is all I can say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anxious_thoughts
27-09-17, 00:23
Hi ladies thanks for your responses!

I ended up calling my doctor and the pills are called Provera.

Oh wow, Midnight-Mouse. How long did the bleeding last for? I'm already on 5 days, 3 days heavy. Seems like any time I get up, sneeze, or cough, blood comes out. So many small clots too, but today I saw two larger ones. I feel tired, and just wiped out. I'm taking iron pills, and also Advil. Today I made a beef lentil stu, since its high in iron. Just worried about my iron dropping too low or something.

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

The secretary said she would call me back but never did. Anyways, she told me that it will be like this for a couple days. I just hope my body can take it.

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

Also, I'm feeling a little light headed when I move or walk. Not sure if it's anxiety related or because of all the blood im losing. :( seriously so worried

Midnight-mouse
27-09-17, 01:09
Oh wow, Midnight-Mouse. How long did the bleeding last for? I'm already on 5 days, 3 days heavy. Seems like any time I get up, sneeze, or cough, blood comes out. So many small clots too, but today I saw two larger ones. I feel tired, and just wiped out.

My bleeding lasted at least 5 days but more likely 7 I passed a lot of clots but admittedly I do with my natural period too. Honestly it can seem like it will never end but it will. Just think of it as a huge spring clean in corners that you never even knew you had.
Just take it easy and take care of yourself. If you feel overly concerned be sure to contact the doctor again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thestruggle
27-09-17, 22:50
I use a progesterone based pill now and again to delay my periods for a few days, to a week at a time.. I know when I take the last one, within a day or so I will have my period and It's AWFUL! :weep: So heavy...clots...flooding...you name it! I read something online that it's the drop in progesterone that makes your period start so by taking an artificial version of the hormone your body doesn't get that signal so the uterus lining keeps growing, meaning when you do bleed it's gonna be long and heavy.. not sure how true this is, but if you're messing with your natural hormone levels it will probably be something to do with that :) I don't think you'd be bleeding beyond what is meant to come out naturally...you probably just had more lining to shift!