PDA

View Full Version : Fought to get rid of anxiety, now it's back

Probs92
26-09-17, 19:37
Hi All,

Last fall I had a pretty significant battle with anxiety due to stress, work, school, etc. For the most part it has gone away and the only remnant that hangs around is very quick intrusive thought blips, which have steadily been lessening over time.

I left my job where I was being abused and finally have a new job. I got a great raise, a great company, the whole bit. This job requires me to travel out to Chicago for 3 weeks (I live in Boston).

It is now 1.5 weeks into the 3 week training, and for the first time since February, I had a panic attack on Monday and another one yesterday. I have been really tired as a result. I just really hope it doesn't come back full bloom. I am in a relationship with a really great guy, but I don't know if it would be able to survive another full blast of anxiety.

I have started to redo some of my anxiety behaviors, but does anyone have any suggestions for me to help me keep these anxiety hiccups from developing into full blown anxiety attacks?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Juggar
27-09-17, 08:11
I’m sure it’s just some underlying stress from starting a new job. When I have to fight off an anxiety/panic attack I just really focus hard on something that’s not related to the anxiety/anxious thoughts.

I’m sure as you get settled in your new job, these panic attacks will stop and things will get much better.

Lilliput
27-09-17, 08:46
There must have been things that helped you get over it last time so think about what skills you have that maybe you are forgetting to use.

Something that is working to help me at the moment is not to let myself get over-tired and, if I need to , I take a little nap. That probably won't be easy for you, you sound like a very busy person, but a tired brain / body is going to protest if you don't rest it.

Best of luck nipping this in the bud, Probs.

Beckybecks
27-09-17, 14:03
For me anxiety is just a habit my mind has learnt over the years. I've done my best to un-learn them but they seem to be tattooed on my brain!
One has to be aware that it's always there and anticipate any triggers.
However, you're more experienced now and have all the knowledge and techniques that you learnt during your last flare-up so it should be a lot easier to control this time.
Sometimes the worst thing is the anticipation and fear and what may develop. This alone can lead to more anxiety. Don't be scare of it. Get on top of it before it gets on top of you.