PDA

View Full Version : In need of advice (touching obsession)

Ljthompson10
26-09-17, 21:12
Hi all
I've not been on this site for about 5 weeks and I have to say they have been the best 5 weeks I have had in a lot time. I've been coping well and passed all of my A-levels so am now at university!

Now, the other day I was checking if my windows were closed and as I checked when I put my fingers on the window it 'didn't feel right' so I did it again. Anyway every time I'm in my room and I think about everything having to 'feel right' every time I touch something I have to do it again if it doesn't feel right.

And I'm struggling to relax at night as when I think about something I have touched (eg my wardrobe) I'm thinking 'how easy would I be to touch it and get relief' and it's starting to really get to me as I've been doing so well. And this is something different to the usual 'thoughts' I get with my OCD. So I don't have a clue on how to deal with it.

Any way I hope you have read this and I hope you are all doing as well as you can!:hugs:

I'd really appreciate any advice as I'm very stuck!:shrug:
Thank you x

MyNameIsTerry
27-09-17, 02:05
Congratulations on passing your exams and getting into uni! :yesyes::yahoo:

There's various ways to try to tackle this but ERP is the standard method that is used to get you to cut down on the numbers of checks, the number of items checked and the number or times checked. This means learning to accept the frustration & tension it causes until you find it bothers less and you keep going until you eliminate it.

There are other ways if these aren't working for you but I would check that out first as it's the first port of call and this is new.

It could even be additional stress levels due to moving into halls, if you are. What pressures are you under right now?

Ljthompson10
27-09-17, 10:46
Thanks so much for the reply. I'm not actually in halls I'm still living at home. And I'm not under much pressure as I really have enjoyed my start to uni!!:yesyes:

The thing is it's not even like I have to check it. Basically the other day I thought to myself 'touch the corner of your drawer' and I didn't but since then I can't get out of my mind thinking about the drawer and it's frustrating. It's not even as if I need to touch it any more it's just the repetitive thought of it!!
It's right next to me when I sleep and I slept very very well last night! But before I slept I was thinking 'how weird would it be to become scared of looking at that drawer due to intrusive thoughts!! And that freaked me out a bit!!!!

Let me know what you think - I hate having constant negative thoughts about something that's in my room!!!!

Anyway thanks so much for the reply!! Let me know what you think

Ljthompson10
28-09-17, 18:32
Anyone... please...

MyNameIsTerry
29-09-17, 02:42
That's two issues then, one where you are feeling compelled to touch and the perfection issue ("must feel right") and this one about thinking about whether you need to do it or not. The latter seems to be more obsessional thinking since compulsions to touch aren't part of it.

So, perhaps for this latter part you need to work on not letting the thoughts frustrate you so that you remain calm and emotionally unattached to them? It's a trigger thought following by overthinking.