PDA

View Full Version : Sciatica

Noworryjonny
07-03-17, 08:08
Little background history I'm 26 male and I've had numerous go appointments regarding various isssues:
Floaters
Tingling
Numbness
Blurred vision
Nausea
Aching legs
The last one being the one I'm most concerned about now , even first thing in the morning my legs feel like I've ran a marathon neaurlogists have told me it's just anxiety and so has my gp, but I can't get out of my head that my aching legs and neck are down to JUST anxiety? Please someone help :(

---------- Post added at 08:08 ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 ----------

Please someone reply :(

axolotl
07-03-17, 08:24
If neurologists say it's anxiety that's what it is - they know their stuff. MS presents in specific places as specific nerves are affected, it's counterintuitive but if it's all over and generalised like your symptoms it's a good sign.

Sixpack
07-03-17, 21:22
MS was my fave HA disease to have from 1996-2008--off/on. I had three major meltdowns over it leading to three different neurologists and a litany of tests too. I didn't have MS and neither do you.

Ben1989
08-03-17, 08:21
I'm 27 and I had all your symptoms and instead of your aching legs I had dizziness/light-headedness. I also had ringing in my ears.

My GP spent a good 30 minutes with me after previous constant back and fourth and that's when I told him what I feared. He categorically said and bet everything he owns that I don't have MS. I didn't believe him (HA in its finest form). He ended up giving me an MRI, purely to cure my anxiety not because of MS.

Guess what? Zero lesions. My brain was healthy. No MS.

Keep going to your GP and ask them to run bloods to put your mind at ease

Kuatir
08-03-17, 09:16
Honestly, don't keep going back the GP until they test you. A neurologist and your GP have told you that you don't have it. What are you doing to treat the anxiety?

Sixpack
08-03-17, 13:25
Honestly, don't keep going back the GP until they test you. A neurologist and your GP have told you that you don't have it. What are you doing to treat the anxiety?

Agree COMPLETELY

Getting uneccessary medical testing on a HA person is a waste of time. All it does IF it relieves your fear for _____ disease is allow your mind to move onto the next disease not covered by previous peace of mind testing. It only further entrenches the illness you actually have.

Noworryjonny
08-03-17, 16:32
Cheers for the replies guys,I spoke to a neuro and he said the aching legs is only a symptom of ms once you've had ms for years and become immobile so I'm sure the aching legs is down to anxiety and build up of lactic acid and adrenaline

Noworryjonny
13-08-17, 10:55
Hi guys I have recently been suffering with backache from top of my back between shoulder blades and mid back and lower back basically all my back , I was terrified it was ankylosing spondylitis but docs said it's just because I'm 6ft 2 and work a desk job and my stress and anxiety has made it worse and it will go eventually but will take time, anybody else suffers with backache from anxiety?

---------- Post added at 08:18 ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 ----------

Hi guys I have recently been suffering with backache from top of my back between shoulder blades and mid back and lower back basically all my back , I was terrified it was ankylosing spondylitis but docs said it's just because I'm 6ft 2 and work a desk job and my stress and anxiety has made it worse and it will go eventually but will take time, anybody else suffers with backache from anxiety?

Anybody please I'm really worrying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 ----------

---------- Post added at 08:18 ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 ----------

Anybody please I'm really worrying

:(

Leah88
13-08-17, 11:41
I'm 29 and have had mid/upper back pain for years and I'm still alive. I've thought it to be a lot of bad things too. None of which have shown up or killed me yet.

Noworryjonny
13-08-17, 11:42
I'm 29 and have had mid/upper back pain for years and I'm still alive. I've thought it to be a lot of bad things too. None of which have shown up or killed me yet.

What have the docs told you it is?

Leah88
14-08-17, 04:33
What have the docs told you it is?

Poor posture coupled with anxiety

Noworryjonny
14-08-17, 07:27
Did it feel like muscles were tearing when you sat down? And like a dull ache?

Noworryjonny
14-08-17, 08:32
Hi guys hopefully this will provide a bit of comfort to anyone going through these right now:
Backpain
Stabbing pain mid back between shoulder blades
Feeling of soreness of muscles when you lean against something
Tingling in hands and feet
Floaters
Chest pain
Pain in buttocks
Blurred vision
Aching legs/heels
Fluttery heart
Constant burping
Burning feeling in upper back
Constant peeing
Dry mouth
Mouth ulcers

There are probably much more, currently it's back issues making me think I'm going to be wheelchair bound soon :( any reassurance would be appreciated

Lola-Lee
14-08-17, 08:36
Yep,I have had the lot.:D

Noworryjonny
14-08-17, 08:41
Including the back pain it's the worst one for me

Lola-Lee
14-08-17, 08:52
It is most likely you are tense,that can cause your muscles in your back,shoulders and legs to ache.

Noworryjonny
14-08-17, 08:53
I take it it can last a while until I properly calm down

Leah88
14-08-17, 11:24
Mine feels more like the tendons and ligaments between the vertebrae. I had an X-ray as I'd convinced myself it was bone metastasis. It was not.

Noworryjonny
14-08-17, 12:07
Ok so mine is deffo anxiety and posture related

Noworryjonny
14-08-17, 13:33
Anyone else ?

Noworryjonny
14-08-17, 13:37
My back is in bits it's been hurting for 3 weeks docs said it's muscular and anxiety related but it hurts constantly it has to be something serious

palspals
14-08-17, 13:56
I get quite a few of those and others too. Well, the issue is, I'm never sure in my mind as to whether it's anxiety or something more sinister. And that's where I fall apart. All of those listed above are very textbook though. So if that's what you're dealing with, I'm pretty sure that it's only anxiety causing them.

palspals
14-08-17, 14:01
I know that it may feel that way. So here is a recent story of mine- I have lost around 6kg without trying this year, I had loose stools and frequent bowel movements, I am anaemic, I passed blood with 2 bowel movements and I had left side abdominal pain (still do- very badly)...Suffice to say I was convinced that I had colon cancer. I had never been lower in my life. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and both came back clear. The moral of the story being, even with a plethora of symptoms, more often than not, the diagnosis is not serious.

I have awful back pain due to my anxiety. And what's worse is that it's isolated to one rib. So it makes it even harder for me to believe that anxiety is the only cause. But I'm trying to remain calm and rational. Please don't scare yourself. Especially if the doctors have told you they believe you to be okay.'if you are really worried, perhaps go back and request a few tests, this may put your mind at ease. But speaking from someone with HA, the relief is temporary...It's the mindset that must be changed.

Canada67080
14-08-17, 14:05
I get both upper and lower back pain with anxiety. (Lower being worse for me)

The urination, chest sensations, mouth sores etc.. also common for me.

If you're conscious of it, that will always make it worse no matter the symptom. I mean get me conscious of my bladder and I may as well just pitch a tent on the toilet.

elysemarie123
14-08-17, 14:06
I think anxiety can cause any symptom in your body.

A couple that I definitely have: Backpain (all the time -- especially lower back),
Tingling in hands and feet (all the time - even now when I think about it they start tingling - this is a symptom of fight or flight - causes an adrenaline rush), Floaters (I have these but never attributed them to anxiety -- my eye doc said they just happen and are harmless), Chest pain, Blurred vision, Aching legs/heels, Fluttery heart, Burning feeling in upper back, Constant peeing (or the other bodily function!), Dry mouth (or mouth sweats). I also have these that you didn't mention:

Neck Pain (pretty much all the time because I'm so tense), jaw pain, headaches, nausea, heart palpitations, vomiting -- you name it, I've had it.

Do you exercise at all? Does it make you feel better? How about distractions? Do you like to read, play video games, go outside? A little trick I taught myself that usually works (I say usually because sometimes my anxiety is so bad that I really have to work at distractions) is to focus on another part of my body that feels calm and then visualize the calm spreading to the rest of my body. For example, when I have a headache, I scan my body to find a place that feels great and then visualize that warmth and calm spreading to my entire body. It may or may not work for you but worth a shot!

Elen
14-08-17, 14:25
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Hypomean
14-08-17, 14:49
I get numb limbs, like they feel like they are not mine. When I hyperventilate so yea your limbs can be affected by anxiety. I had been getting it a lot lately, it's in some of my posts. I dove into researching it and it is your over oxygenated and your body feels tingling, numb, pain.

Back pain can come from costochondritis again having to do with tense body from anxiety. Been there since my anxiety came on. Hot baths and massages help.

Noworryjonny
14-08-17, 18:46
I get numb limbs, like they feel like they are not mine. When I hyperventilate so yea your limbs can be affected by anxiety. I had been getting it a lot lately, it's in some of my posts. I dove into researching it and it is your over oxygenated and your body feels tingling, numb, pain.

Back pain can come from costochondritis again having to do with tense body from anxiety. Been there since my anxiety came on. Hot baths and massages help.

Costochronditis is to do with chest pain isn't it?

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

Thanks guys it really helps to know I'm not alone

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

Just seen a chiropractor guys he said chances of me having AS are 1/300,000 so very rare, my panic is down to postural reasons!!!

Noworryjonny
15-08-17, 12:59
I went to docs with my back pain and told him I was worried about ankylosing spondylitis and he kind of just smiled and went dr google yea, he then said I will order you a blood test to prove to you you haven't got it, but if he is so sure why order the test I'm so worried :(

Fishmanpa
15-08-17, 13:00
He ordered it because he knows you have HA and his word wouldn't have been enough.

Positive thoughts

ShaunRyder
15-08-17, 13:04
Exactly what fishmanpa said! I have been offered tests by doctors in the past just to put my mind at ease!

Noworryjonny
15-08-17, 13:10
Ok so it's just what it is anxiety and posture and my back will get better

ShaunRyder
15-08-17, 13:16
If your doctor was not worried then you shouldn't be (I know thats hard sometimes with Anxiety). I have suffered from loads of back aches and pains due to anxiety.

Noworryjonny
15-08-17, 13:17
Did you what kind of backaches mine are more dull aches and that upper and mid back

ShaunRyder
15-08-17, 13:36
I've had lower back pain and had mid back aches as symptoms of my anxiety.

Noworryjonny
15-08-17, 13:38
Did you what kind of backaches mine are more dull aches and that upper and mid back

Hypomean
15-08-17, 13:44
Your aches sound like mine.
Mine are tense muscles from being anxious or stressed.
My lower back pain would make me think I had a cancer or something bad in the area.
My old therapist had me do muscle relaxation, which helps you identify if your pain is tension related.

Here's a video on it.

https://youtu.be/ihO02wUzgkc

Noworryjonny
15-08-17, 15:39
Thanks guys

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

Literally had 2 hours of no back pain because my leg was hurting hahaha so clearly when my mind is off it it goes

Noworryjonny
15-08-17, 19:29
I have been told I have a slight curve in my spine and been told it's very common and nothing to worry about is this true

Fishmanpa
15-08-17, 20:01
Yes, Very common -
More than 3 million US cases per year

Positive thoughts

Noworryjonny
15-08-17, 20:02
Anyone else has this?

KK77
15-08-17, 20:12
Very common - nothing to worry about.

cyberchondriac.
15-08-17, 20:40
I have right sides scoliosis. I'm unsure how common it is, but unless it's severe, it's really not a huge deal and nothing to worry about. I get some neck pain and a back ache occasionally. But I also suffer from Chiari Malformation which could cause that too

melfish
15-08-17, 20:41
I have this too. Never had treatment. My whole body is out of alignment as a result - one hip higher, collar bone etc - and I have a slightly abnormal gait. I didn't know until a chiropractor pointed it out years ago. It's not given me too much bother; as long as I maintain core strength, I rarely have pain (I'm 49)

Noworryjonny
15-08-17, 20:42
Ok,cheers I can't even tell looking at my body I think it's very marginal and my anxiety has made it worse

Catherine S
15-08-17, 20:49
I also have a curve, my spine slightly deviates to the left side. It's not noticeable to anybody else, but can be seen/felt by my doc. I was referred to a physio who gave me some stretching exercises to do at home to strengthen the muscles that support the spine.

:)

Noworryjonny
15-08-17, 20:54
Oh ok yea they didn't say scoliosis to me just I googled curve in spine an it came up :/ cheers guys

cyberchondriac.
15-08-17, 20:55
Ok,cheers I can't even tell looking at my body I think it's very marginal and my anxiety has made it worse

I had no idea until I had an X-ray for something else. I was having physio and the lady mentioned that my shoulder blades weren't aligned. Then once I was told I had it, I noticed one shoulder is slightly lower than the other. It really will cause you no issues other than maybe, maybe, slight discomfort

Noworryjonny
16-08-17, 09:18
Guys I am terrified of ankylosing spondylitis my back really hurts docs and chiro said it's just tension and posture that's causing the pain but since reading the symptoms I have now developed lower back pain Can anxiety bring on phantom symptoms

swajj
16-08-17, 09:34
Yes it can. You tense your muscles because you are worried that simple muscular pain is something more sinister. The more you tense them the more painful they become which causes you to tense them more which causes even more pain. It's a vicious cycle. You need to find a way to relax your muscles. A mental health professional can show you how.

Elen
16-08-17, 11:13
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Noworryjonny
16-08-17, 11:43
Am I ok guys I'm really worrying this is serious

swajj
16-08-17, 12:31
you have been told by medical professionals that your pain is anxiety related. If you can't accept that then it is time to do something about treating your anxiety. Ask your doctor for a referral to a counsellor.

Cece6
16-08-17, 13:44
I have a scoliosis - soooo common! Nothing to worry about. Yoga helps when mine acts up and gets sore (99.9% of the time it's sore when I've been anxious) :)

Noworryjonny
16-08-17, 16:07
Thanks cece6 does it feel like a dull ache mid back and low back I'm really worrying

---------- Post added at 16:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:38 ----------

Can anxiety make your back worse?

Elen
16-08-17, 16:43
You have had your diagnoses from medical experts so now you have to look at things to alleviate your pain.

There are loads of exercises available on line to help ease back pain and to teach you how to improve your posture.

This would be the logical way to go about improving your situation, and it is easy and cheap.

Meanwhile discussing your anxiety problems with your doctor and asking for help there would also be very worthwhile.

Noworryjonny
16-08-17, 16:52
I know thank you it's just so hard to believe anxiety can cause this much pain :(

Fishmanpa
16-08-17, 17:14
I know thank you it's just so hard to believe anxiety can cause this much pain :(

Keep in mind it's your reaction to what is a benign issue causing you additional stress which leads to tense muscles making a benign issue worse. Treat your reaction to it as well as doing exercise and the symptoms will improve.

Positive thoughts

Elen
16-08-17, 17:25
I am not saying that anxiety is causing it all.

My suggestions are for treating the cause of the pain.

Its anxiety that is causing you to focus so much on it and its convincing your that it is something serious.

Be proactive and do something to help your back.

Noworryjonny
16-08-17, 17:35
But it's not serious no and will get better with exercise ?

Fishmanpa
16-08-17, 17:42
But it's not serious no and will get better with exercise ?

What did the last couple of posts say? ;)

Positive thoughts

Noworryjonny
16-08-17, 17:47
Hahaha I know I know!! Thanks

MyNameIsTerry
16-08-17, 18:43
Elen has given good advice.

Muscular tension is a big anxiety symptom and it causes lots of aches & pains for us. It can cause headaches as well as all that brings with it in terms of feeling spaced out or nausia even.

Posture is another one common with mental health issues. This can impact on your breathing.

"What if" it's something else that's bad?

BUT

"What if" through applying treatments for muscular pain you find it goes away? Wouldn't this prove it's just muscular pain?

Noworryjonny
16-08-17, 20:50
Does anyone get pain the lower back through stress like where the bum is ? Sorry guys I am freaking out

KK77
16-08-17, 20:55
Does anyone get pain the lower back through stress like where the bum is ? Sorry guys I am freaking out

Yes, lower back pain from stress is very common. The quadratus lumborum muscles are usual culprits.

http://www.healthline.com/health/quadratus-lumborum-pain#overview1

Noworryjonny
16-08-17, 21:00
Oh An the pain is felt in the bum even though the trigger point is in the quadratus???

KK77
16-08-17, 21:04
There can be "satellite" trigger points reacting to referred pain from main trigger points anywhere in the body. And stress/anxiety aggravates situation.

Noworryjonny
16-08-17, 21:05
So anxiety could well be the cause of my pain in my upper buttock. All my anxieties are around my back as it is

KK77
16-08-17, 21:06
So anxiety could well be the cause of my pain in my upper buttock. All my anxieties are around my back as it is

YOU said it ;)

Noworryjonny
16-08-17, 21:06
Haha thanks

Noworryjonny
17-08-17, 07:30
Hi guys who gets buttock pain like upper buttock im panicking so much I need help

MyNameIsTerry
17-08-17, 07:42
People with sciatica get it as well as down the leg and even into the foot & toes when it comes to tingling.

Noworryjonny
17-08-17, 07:56
It's not like a sciatica pain though as its a dull ache rather than shooting pains

Elen
17-08-17, 08:14
Hi

Elen

Noworryjonny
17-08-17, 11:41
Anybody please?

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 ----------

Guys with sciatica it's normal to feel a burning sensation right? And it hurts when you sit down?

MyNameIsTerry
17-08-17, 14:27
Yes, it is and dull pain too. I found it didn't have to be shooting pains.

Why not try what Elen said and see if working on improving it makes it ease or go altogether? Wouldn't that be the best proof it's not what you fear?

saf138
17-08-17, 15:32
Okay I'm glad ive come across this thread because its right up my alley (for some reason that doesnt sound right when the topic is about buttock pain oh well) but any way I can relate in many ways and what you have sounds like you may be suffering with piriformis syndrome dont worry its not serious so get ready for it......... Its basically a tight muscle but by george it causes so many problems the piriformis muscle is a large muscle that goes across the buttock region it usually located above the sciatic nerve or under the sciatic nerve and when its tight it compresses that nerve resulting in many things like shooting pain down the leg, knee pain, ankle pain general feeling of a restless leg it can even cause the whole lower back to spasm out causing alot of pain it also makes it difficult to stand up or to sit down for a long period of time usually lying down somewhat alleviates the pain. The main causes for piriformis syndrome is usually to much sitting which tightens and shortens many muscles in the area like the hip flexors, soas muscle,piriformis muscle and so on, OR another cause could be a misalignment of the pelvis and hips which in my case was both of those reasons. What you need to do is LIGHTLY stretch out that muscle and I found rolling my buttock on a tennis ball for about 5 mins getting deep into that muscle also rolling on a foam roller works wonders but keep the roller away from the lumbar spine and focus on just the buttocks you can also learn a few strengthening exercises go on YouTube for many videos on this topic. One thing if its a misalgnment or the pelvis DO NOT stretch the hamstrings it will makes matter alot worse focus on realigning the pelvis and hips. All the best
P.S the burning sensation is not usually what you get from sciatica but usually from inflammation of the muscles.

MyNameIsTerry
17-08-17, 15:49
Okay I'm glad ive come across this thread because its right up my alley (for some reason that doesnt sound right when the topic is about buttock pain oh well) but any way I can relate in many ways and what you have sounds like you may be suffering with piriformis syndrome dont worry its not serious so get ready for it......... Its basically a tight muscle but by george it causes so many problems the piriformis muscle is a large muscle that goes across the buttock region it usually located above the sciatic nerve or under the sciatic nerve and when its tight it compresses that nerve resulting in many things like shooting pain down the leg, knee pain, ankle pain general feeling of a restless leg it can even cause the whole lower back to spasm out causing alot of pain it also makes it difficult to stand up or to sit down for a long period of time usually lying down somewhat alleviates the pain. The main causes for piriformis syndrome is usually to much sitting which tightens and shortens many muscles in the area like the hip flexors, soas muscle,piriformis muscle and so on, OR another cause could be a misalignment of the pelvis and hips which in my case was both of those reasons. What you need to do is LIGHTLY stretch out that muscle and I found rolling my buttock on a tennis ball for about 5 mins getting deep into that muscle also rolling on a foam roller works wonders but keep the roller away from the lumbar spine and focus on just the buttocks you can also learn a few strengthening exercises go on YouTube for many videos on this topic. One thing if its a misalgnment or the pelvis DO NOT stretch the hamstrings it will makes matter alot worse focus on realigning the pelvis and hips. All the best
P.S the burning sensation is not usually what you get from sciatica but usually from inflammation of the muscles.

That's very interesting. I've heard of the muscle, and seen it mentioned in treatment, bit not considered it myself. I've had sciatica but also lower back pain that continued. With also having multiplied joint problems I thought it might be a touch of osteoarthritis coming on.

I've found rubbing transdermal magnesium into the areas helps but it's better in the long term as it's not so much an immediate thing.

Stretches can help. Posture might be an issue too with compression as that often causes sciatica. TENS also can be effective.

saf138
17-08-17, 16:05
That's very interesting. I've heard of the muscle, and seen it mentioned in treatment, bit not considered it myself. I've had sciatica but also lower back pain that continued. With also having multiplied joint problems I thought it might be a touch of osteoarthritis coming on.

I've found rubbing transdermal magnesium into the areas helps but it's better in the long term as it's not so much an immediate thing.

Stretches can help. Posture might be an issue too with compression as that often causes sciatica. TENS also can be effective.

I sincerely urge anyway who suffers with lower back ache to look into either piriformis syndrome or either anterior pelvic tilt or posterior pelvic tilt as for the anterior pelvic tilt its very common amongst those with poor posture especially rolled shoulder and forward head tilt also maintaing that curvature of the lumbar is very important and anybody can try this experiment just slowly roll your shoulder forward and focus how the lumber spine is positioned you will notice that curvature has decreased causing the lumber to be to be straight than slowly pin your shoulder blades together while pulling your shoulders back abd keeping the head directly over the shoulders and you will notice that natural curvature has returned its all about habits and sub consciously remembering to keep that rule of thumb where the shoulders should be over the waist and the head over the shoulders. The curvature is very impirtant as it acts as a natural spring taking the workload of the hips and pelvis for many many years I was told I had slipped disks causing my sciatica but it turned out it was not slipped disks at all but piriformis syndrome and misalignment of the pelvis which mimics the exact same sensation as sciatica as the tight muscle compresses the nerve for many years I had multiple treatment such as full body corrections by chiros multiple massages ive tried this oil and that oil I've even had those hand held electric massage things with the pads but since I've been doing the tennis ball and foam rolling treatment with the general light hip stretches I havent touched anything else. Definately look into it Terry

MyNameIsTerry
17-08-17, 16:24
Thanks saf, I will. I've got a trigger points book that talks about the exercise you mentioned so I'll have a look in there first. Stretching does help and I noticed I was hunching when walking so that would have added to this. I used to sit hunched a lot at work but luckily it didn't bother me back then.

My aches occur in elbows, wrists, knees, hips too. The hips I suspect has connections to the back issue. The others responded to magnesium and returned when I stopped using it. TENS helped with the back to a point and that stalled out. The magnesium took it further. Stretches for sciatica didn't help but the ball & roller is something I will try as you recommend.

You're absolutely right about healthy practices. Something that really worked with my hands up to my elbows were small versions of resistance bands. It's about how we grip a lot but don't reverse the motion to engage the opposing muscles so they weaken. A couple of weeks of short daily exercise opening my hands against resistance really took away the pain.

The curvature issue is very interesting too. I know that is also very important in osteoporosis as my nan ended up curved and doctors have raised it before with with mum.

Noworryjonny
17-08-17, 16:32
I also don't drink anywhere near enough so do you think this could contribute towards backpain, it's like right near the bottom and feels sensitive when I lean against something, just been docs who said it's down to stress and anxiety

MyNameIsTerry
17-08-17, 16:37
I don't know about the pain but dehydration will certainly affect your anxiety.

saf138
17-08-17, 17:13
Thanks saf, I will. I've got a trigger points book that talks about the exercise you mentioned so I'll have a look in there first. Stretching does help and I noticed I was hunching when walking so that would have added to this. I used to sit hunched a lot at work but luckily it didn't bother me back then.

My aches occur in elbows, wrists, knees, hips too. The hips I suspect has connections to the back issue. The others responded to magnesium and returned when I stopped using it. TENS helped with the back to a point and that stalled out. The magnesium took it further. Stretches for sciatica didn't help but the ball & roller is something I will try as you recommend.

You're absolutely right about healthy practices. Something that really worked with my hands up to my elbows were small versions of resistance bands. It's about how we grip a lot but don't reverse the motion to engage the opposing muscles so they weaken. A couple of weeks of short daily exercise opening my hands against resistance really took away the pain.

The curvature issue is very interesting too. I know that is also very important in osteoporosis as my nan ended up curved and doctors have raised it before with with mum.

Posture is probably the most important aspect for keeping the spine in a healthy state unfortunately today we are so used to the same mundane routine that our bodies have artificially adopted certain positions which will seem natural tto us but cause alot of problems down the road ill give you an example I drive for a living so as I reach put to the steering wheel all day my upper back muscles will stretch and the front pec muscles will shorten due to tightness which will naturally pull my shoulders and head forward hence the kinetic chain of events up and down the spine so I found by just standing in a doorway with each elbow and hands on either side of the door frame and with a gentle lean forward while holding a position for 30 seconds would release the tight pec muscles which would allow me to stand up straighter and pin my shoulders back but here is where the problem really lies its all good doing these stretches and exercises but its all pointless if we just go back to that same old daily routine. So I say keep active and I dont mean workout active just moving is enough let the muscles do what they were designed for stretch the hips iron out any tight muscles in the buttocks subconsciously train the mind to remember to pull the shoulder back with the head and it will all become natural you will seem taller too lol.

Bigboyuk
18-08-17, 20:44
Hi Noworryjonny What about treating you anxiety you have been asked this question but refuse to answer it? Cheers

Noworryjonny
18-08-17, 21:07
I have been referred to the wellbeing service for cbt

Bigboyuk
18-08-17, 21:14
I have been referred to the wellbeing service for cbt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :shades: Mate same here via the well being service, have they given you a rough time scale? Are you on any meds too? Cheers

Noworryjonny
18-08-17, 21:15
They will contact me within 3 working days and yea on 100mg sertraline

MyNameIsTerry
18-08-17, 21:29
Is it worth talking to your GP about a potential increase in the Sert given how bad things have been recently? Or have you just upped it and that has made your anxiety worse?

Bigboyuk
18-08-17, 21:30
They will contact me within 3 working days and yea on 100mg sertraline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk To give you a date? Be interested to see how quick they see you! This the first time you have had any therapy? Let us know CHeers

Noworryjonny
18-08-17, 21:30
No they haven't An yea it if

Bigboyuk
04-09-17, 13:23
No they haven't An yea it if

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk How are you feeling today? Have you tried any excercises yet?Have you chased them up on your appointment and what area of the uk are you from? Cheers

Noworryjonny
11-09-17, 21:15
So most people know my story I suffer from health anxiety, recently had a bad time tried to kill myself as I thought I had something wrong with my spine which turns out I didn't after a full blood count and a MRI I was given a clean bill of health! But now I'm back at work my back ache has returned along with bum pain and leg pain now could this be anxiety mixed with sciatica? As they said be MRI showed a couple of discs that were uneven but nothing to worry about and most people have that

MissRobron
11-09-17, 21:32
So most people know my story I suffer from health anxiety, recently had a bad time tried to kill myself as I thought I had something wrong with my spine which turns out I didn't after a full blood count and a MRI I was given a clean bill of health! But now I'm back at work my back ache has returned along with bum pain and leg pain now could this be anxiety mixed with sciatica? As they said be MRI showed a couple of discs that were uneven but nothing to worry about and most people have that

Sciatica usually affects your bum, leg, foot etc so I would think that is what you have.

Noworryjonny
11-09-17, 21:33
But it's both cheeks is that normal ?

MissRobron
11-09-17, 21:45
Yes you can have it in both cheeks.

Fishmanpa
11-09-17, 22:03
Yes... normal...

Positive thoughts

Noworryjonny
15-09-17, 20:36
I've been convinced I've had AS recently had a MRI An showed no sign 3 docs have all said I 100% haven't got it An I've even been sent the MRI paperwork so I have it in black An white An got told my pain is because I'm 6ft 4 An it's postural An I'm hyper vigilant of my symptoms

KK77
15-09-17, 20:58
Why can't I trust the docs?

Because you have HA. Think of scales: on one side you have anxiety and the other side symptoms. Whichever is the greater will drive the train forward. If you continue to focus on symptoms, you will be driven straight into the jaws of the beast. There is an escape - and it's focusing and working on your anxiety.

walkerbull
16-09-17, 07:37
I remember experiencing such a spiral earlier this year.

Just remember, they are trained professionals, they have experience, you don't. And I mean, if three doctors say you don't.....

Noworryjonny
16-09-17, 12:22
I mean 3 docs have said I'm fine and I've had a MRI and a full blood count so I have it literally in black and white that it's just slight inflammation and normal back pain which 80% of the population get its just I am so in tune with my body I'm hyper aware of it

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

So I don't really need much more reassurance than that really

Vikingbeast
16-09-17, 13:54
I've been convinced I've had AS recently had a MRI An showed no sign 3 docs have all said I 100% haven't got it An I've even been sent the MRI paperwork so I have it in black An white An got told my pain is because I'm 6ft 4 An it's postural An I'm hyper vigilant of my symptoms

I know John, I know. I have 6 doctors - three dentists and two oral surgeons and one ENT saying I've got nothing to worry about. Why that's so hard to accept, I don't know. Oh, and the bloodwork to prove they're right.

Noworryjonny
16-09-17, 14:03
Why is it we find it hard to accept it? I mean MRI is the best test you can get an full blood work and to be told the disease I'm worrying about isn't even that bad anyway

Noworryjonny
16-09-17, 21:49
So just to confirm I've been told I have slight inflammation in my back which is posture related, I've had a full blood count and a MRI which showed nothing serious, I was worried about AS which I thought was a lot more serious than what it is I thought I'd be wheelchair bound where I've learnt you live a normal life with it but anyway been told by 3 docs I haven't got it!!! Should I just try to put this to one side exercise and strengthen my back?

thestruggle
16-09-17, 21:53
Yes :) Bad posture really will do that to you..even weird tingling sensations are usually referred pain from a muscle elsewhere that has been strained slightly in that way.. Were you told what you were doing wrong posture-wise that was causing the pain and which muscles that was affecting? If so, then you can target your exercises to work those specific muscles.. if not, then general back stuff should do it :D I know people say to get a 2nd opinion if you're not sure your doctor is right, but you've had 3 tell you you're ok so it's probably time to believe them and push it to the back of your mind once and for all :)

Noworryjonny
16-09-17, 21:55
I know plus a MRI and blood test along with the docs haha, An yea I'm 6ft 4 and work at a desk so my posture is shocking!

thestruggle
16-09-17, 22:42
I know plus a MRI and blood test along with the docs haha, An yea I'm 6ft 4 and work at a desk so my posture is shocking!

I think the tests would have shown something if you really had what you fear you do.. :) Desk jobs will do that if you're hunching over too long in the day, or even if your chair has rubbish back support! You're tall as well.. I only do 4 hours a day, 4 days a week and I've noticed a massive difference in my posture already after only a few months of being there. It's shocking really how bad desk jobs are.. I have to work so much harder in the gym to make sure I don't get muscle pains from spending so long sitting down :D

MyNameIsTerry
17-09-17, 01:27
Strengthening your back will mean strengthening your core too. Not just the abs, all the little muscles in the core.

Loveydovey0519
17-09-17, 01:30
Yes put it to the side and trust the opinions. I know it is easier said than done, because I'm trying to 'trust' my doctor as we speak with certain symptoms I'm having. At the end of the day they are the experts, and you've had 3 opinions! Just ACCEPT it, the key word here is accept! Best of luck.

swajj
17-09-17, 05:29
Yes but you won't. How many threads have you started on AS in the last month?

There are no doctors or psychs here. Even if there were you wouldn't listen. If an MRI and a specialist can't convince you then how do you expect a bunch of faceless people with anxiety to do so?

Get help with your real problem (anxiety) from a real world mental health professional.

Noworryjonny
17-09-17, 08:28
I agree I need help with my anxiety which I am getting because to worry about such a minor illness isn't normal especially after tests to prove I haven't got it

Vikingbeast
17-09-17, 13:10
Why is it we find it hard to accept it? I mean MRI is the best test you can get an full blood work and to be told the disease I'm worrying about isn't even that bad anyway

That's the million dollar question. I don't know.

AnxietySuckss
17-09-17, 13:15
Sorry but what is AS?

---------- Post added at 05:15 ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 ----------

I mean 3 docs have said I'm fine and I've had a MRI and a full blood count so I have it literally in black and white that it's just slight inflammation and normal back pain which 80% of the population get its just I am so in tune with my body I'm hyper aware of it

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

So I don't really need much more reassurance than that really

You’re lucky. My doctor won’t even think about giving me an MRI. I had to go around my normal doctor just to get a chest x-ray.

Noworryjonny
17-09-17, 14:49
As is inflammation and joining of the joints of your spine I have met a few people with it An with exercise and odd injection it isn't that bad at all but when you have health anxiety you panic and think of the worst case!

swajj
18-09-17, 10:05
Well at least you recognise that your worrying is irrational. Therein kind of lies your answer. Use your logic.

You are young and there is nothing serious wrong with you. Don't waste years of your life on anxiety. It's a waste of life.

Noworryjonny
21-09-17, 18:48
In my recent cbt I've been told about we manifest every day aches and pains, mine is my back pain, I'm 6ft 4 and work at a desk with terrible posture and very skinny hence the back pain, however because this was a worry of mine I now make myself aware of my pain all the time when I'm sitting, standing etc only time I feel relief is when I'm in bed, my psychologist said back pain especially is mainly psychological because of tensing up and bad posture, anybody suffer with back pain or other pains if so this could be what it is

Fishmanpa
21-09-17, 19:01
I have chronic pain due to the side effects of my real health issues. I feel pain nearly 24/7. It even wakes me up from my sleep sometimes.

That being said, when I'm distracted, I feel much less pain. For example, I have pain in my upper left back, shoulder and neck from my cancer treatment. Last night I had a gig. For that 90 minutes or so while I was totally into the music and performing, I felt fine. Afterwards on the ride home I started to really feel it so a couple of pain killers and deal with it.

Your therapist is right. Hyper-focusing on the pain can and will make it seem worse than it is and the added stress of that just increases the stress and the pain even more.

Positive thoughts

Leah88
22-09-17, 06:00
I get back pain too, when I worked for a physio department, people with mental illness seemed to suffer the worst from back pain. So it's definitely psychological in a lot of cases.

Noworryjonny
22-09-17, 08:49
Yea I've had a MRI and that so I know nothing serious is wrong with it but it's because I'm aware of it it just makes it 10times worse

swajj
22-09-17, 16:00
You should be commended for actually seeing a therapist. You are doing the right thing and you will eventually get better.

You still don't believe that there is nothing wrong with you. You say you do but don't. Somewhere in your head there is a little voice that keeps saying "how can this pain just be anxiety?" That's the reason your muscles are always tense and the tenseness is the reason for your pain. Ask your therapist to teach you to do progressive muscle relaxation. It worked for me and it can work for you too.

Noworryjonny
22-09-17, 18:50
Thank you and yea you're right that annoying little part of my brain does keep saying is this all anxiety but docs and MRI tells me it is

daisyflower
22-09-17, 20:05
100% It's just like when someone talks about head lice, you start to feel itchy. I can cause my legs to ache if I focus on them for even a brief minute.

KK77
22-09-17, 20:15
It's difficult telling members that their symptoms might be psychosomatic but I feel it's the truth. Not from reading some psychobabble but my own experiences with stress and anxiety. I really do believe people can make themselves ill with worry.

Noworryjonny
25-09-17, 18:29
So I've had back pain for a while and it know rationally back pain is very rarely serious but I had a MRI done and came back fine just slight inflammation which they put it down to posture and my height, can I stop worrying now and move forward and exercise to try and strengthen my core rather than mope around thinking I'm ill

Fishmanpa
25-09-17, 18:43
Are you really asking this question? :huh: That should actually be a statement.

Positive thoughts

Noworryjonny
25-09-17, 18:47
It was a legit question? I know it sounds silly but that's me :(

nomorepanic
25-09-17, 18:49
Yes you can but I think you already know that.

Fishmanpa
25-09-17, 18:56
It was a legit question? I know it sounds silly but that's me :(

Ok... here's your answer in your own words with one minor adjustment.

"I can stop worrying now and move forward and exercise to try and strengthen my core rather than mope around thinking I'm ill."

Positive thoughts

Noworryjonny
25-09-17, 18:59
Cheers guys I love coming on here everyone speaks so much sense :)

Noworryjonny
26-09-17, 13:39
It's just so hard to accept nothing is wrong when my back hurts so much, and my bum hurts :( can it really all be caused by hypersensitivity and anxiety it's just so hard to believe

pulisa
26-09-17, 13:58
You must believe evidence from an MRI scan.

Elen
26-09-17, 14:06
You have been told by professionals that your pain is down to bad posture.

Then your anxiety and hyper sensitivity takes over and tries to turn it into something it's not.

I work at a pc and I know that it encourages me to sit very badly, and yes I hurt, but it is muscular pain caused by my bad posture.

You have been checked out and had the all clear, now time to fix the real problem.

Noworryjonny
26-09-17, 15:57
Ok I am have ACT therapy via CBT to help me accept it's jus anxiety An you can feel physical pain from worrying etc

pulisa
26-09-17, 17:43
You are so lucky to have had a clear MRI scan. Can't you reflect on that instead of questioning a healthy and reassuring result?

Chlobo
26-09-17, 20:04
This is one of the reasons medical testing doesn't work for health anxiety. You question them.
You should be happy, celebrate your good results :)

pulisa
26-09-17, 20:25
How can you question an MRI scan though?

Noworryjonny
26-09-17, 22:34
I know it's just because the pain is still there I doubt it but the pain won't improve until I start exercising and tht

Elen
27-09-17, 08:16
Your pain has been attributed to bad posture. Can you not accept that and do something about it.

Noworryjonny
27-09-17, 10:46
I know it's just hard to accept it's something as simple as posture can cause this much pain but they did say anxiety can intensify pain

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 ----------

I believe what I have is sciatica as the pain goes through my bum and only hurts when I sit down (this is from the docs too) so I just have to accept it's that and nothing serious

Noworryjonny
27-09-17, 10:59
Who else suffers from sciatica, I've been told I have that and exercise and stretching will help, it's like a burning painful feeling in my bum when I sit down

Annaboodle
27-09-17, 11:10
Hi. Of course posture can cause that much pain. I worked in an office for years and most of the people there had back pain and were getting special chairs brought in and taking pain killers for it, etc. How do you know you have sciatica? Has a doctor diagnosed you?

Noworryjonny
27-09-17, 11:15
Yes it's only since I've started a office job I've got the pain and a doc has said bad posture can cause sciatica

Annaboodle
27-09-17, 11:20
Exercise will definitely help from what colleagues told me, though good to get advice on what sort and what intensity. If they have an Occupational Health person at your work, might be worth getting them out to assess your work station and get any recommendations for improving it.

Fishmanpa
27-09-17, 11:23
Yes, stretching and exercise is the key to treating sciatica.

Positive thoughts

Beckybecks
27-09-17, 11:26
I've had backache on a number of occasions, it's always been triggered by something like lifting heavy things or sitting/sleeping badly. Just normal stuff that 'normal' people have.
But I'm not 'normal'. I have health anxity so every little pain becomes huge. My back ache will last six months sometimes because I worry it into something big. The muscles go into spasm and that causes more pain.
Stop worrying about it, do some back exercises, gently until it gets better. It will get better in time and with less worry. Now that you've had a scan and know here's nothing serious wrong you can relax.
Then start doing something to strengthen it, like Pilates

Beckybecks
27-09-17, 11:30
A physio will show you the correct exercises. But meantime if you can stop worrying about it so much, that would go a long way to relieving the pain.
I know because I've been through this more than once and I understand.

Noworryjonny
27-09-17, 11:40
Ok so is backpain and bum pain mostly psychological I have been told this but is that really the case

ServerError
27-09-17, 12:53
I watched my dad struggle with sciatica. He was in agony at times. I don't know how he kept going to work, but he shouldn't have had to. Of course, my dad, despite the difficulty it caused, never overthought it or worried unduly about it. He had a course of physiotherapy and was eventually cured.

He's now 66 and building a summer house in their garden.

AngeAgain
27-09-17, 13:17
My partner has quite bad sciatica. He's had it for a few years but only recently started seeing a physio.

He's prescribed co-codamol which seems to help, but if he takes them too often he gets headaches. Very frustrating.

The thing that has helped him in the past oddly enough is cycling.

His physio told him that he has very weak muscles so the stretches will help and exercise will help build muscle.

Sciatica can come and go, so try to remember that it's likely you wont suffer with this forever. :)

Elen
27-09-17, 13:37
Hi

Elen

Darksky
27-09-17, 13:58
I have a dodgy lower back and when it plays up I get sciatica. Actually I can feel it now, sitting here. I find most relief from a heat pad, the ones you heat in the microwave. I don't take pills unless it's really bad. Also if your powerful back muscles tense up that can be mega painful. Been there too.

Physio will teach you exercises to stretch your muscles and also to build up your core strength to help avoid future problems. Wall squats were one I remember.