PDA

View Full Version : Dentist appointment and anxiety panic

nhelen79
28-09-17, 04:30
Hi all
Tomorrow is my regular dentist appointment. I just had oral screening like 3 months ago when I came in for something else. I have this small bump like forever (at least 3-4 years).it’s small and stay the same. Same color as the mucosa and I don’t remember if I ever show it to the dentist. However, in these years, I have countless oral checkups in the mouth from ENT doctors, dentists, regular doctors for other mouth issues and no one ever said anything about it. For some reasons I’m getting obsessed with looking at it in the mirror with a flash light in the past week or so. I decide that I will bring it up again tomorrow. But right now, I’m feeling the anxiety attacking me. What if it is a tumor or saliva gland tumor that everyone misses in those years? God tonight will be a long night to wait for the appointment tomorrow. I won’t google.

Thanks for reading

nhelen79
28-09-17, 18:27
Just want to update after a sleepless night
The dentist said it is scar tissue grow over some kind of trauma or injury before. If it is something bad, it will grow so big and have all symptoms. I ask if this look like tumor or oral cancer. She laughed and said no. It won’t go away. However? If I don’t like the fact that I have a bumpy feeling there, they can remove and send for biopsy.

I think I will rest on this for a few weeks. Wondering if I shall ask for 2nd opinion from my ENT? Or since it’s been 3-4 years without change, I shall let it go and take care of my anxiety

Annaboodle
28-09-17, 20:38
Trust in the professionals and what your dentist said. It's been 3 to 4 years without change. Let it go and take care of your anxiety.

Fishmanpa
29-09-17, 01:48
The key statement here is "she laughed and said no". If that's not a good enough reason right there to just live with it, nothing will ever satisfy you.

Positive thoughts

nhelen79
05-10-17, 19:08
thanks Fishmanpa and Annaboodle. I"m feeling anxious today so I'm rereading your responses. I"m still struggling to let it go. Once in a while, the thought came back.