PDA

View Full Version : In a spiral of panic over asbestos

Jkirb
28-09-17, 12:38
I have a real problem with worrying about asbestos, it started when we took down part of a wall when our ensuite was put in and later discovered the wall had a textured asbestos coating on it, it wasn't artex it was completely smooth so I had wrongly assumed it was fine.

I have two very young kids and this nearly gave me a nervous breakdown through thinking something my husband and I did may have harmed their health.

This was about a year ago and it has haunted me everyday since, sometimes I can shrug it off because it was white asbestos and so it's not supposed to be the most dangerous then other days it consumes me, anyway we live Ina 1960s house, basically the worst period for finding asbestos in the home, and something happened yesterday which has sent me on a downward spiral.

Clearing out my little girls cupboard in her room today I saw some hooks screwed into the wall by the previous owner were hanging off so I decided to unscrew one and throw it away. I can't forgive myself for doing this.

As I was doing it a bit of dust came out where it had been drilled before and only then did it occur to me I might be dealing with asbestos insulation board, which I know from research online has been used as wall partition in the past.

I think I've uploaded a picture, does anyone whose been on an asbestos awareness course or works with asbestos know what this is?

I didn't sleep a wink last night.

KK77
28-09-17, 12:49
I'm not sure people can identify whether or not it is asbestos from that image. However, I can't see it posing a risk as long as you cover it up again and get someone in to inspect it. Local authorities will usually do this if there is a risk that it could be asbestos.

Jkirb
28-09-17, 13:53
I'm going to have it tested, if it comes back that it's blue or brown and my child has been exposed to that I don't think I'm going to be able to cope.

braindead
28-09-17, 18:04
WHEN YOUr ON BUILDING WORK WE knocked a hole asbestos house down without a mask i am 69 now :wacko::wacko:

MyNameIsTerry
28-09-17, 18:24
I'm going to have it tested, if it comes back that it's blue or brown and my child has been exposed to that I don't think I'm going to be able to cope.

It won't since they only ever used blue & brown in industrial settings. They used white in housing.

Jkirb
28-09-17, 21:25
I'm afraid that isn't the case, brown and blue were used until being banned in 1985. I have extensively and manically researched this, it's why I'm so worried.

Fishmanpa
29-09-17, 01:45
With respect, in the big picture, this just isn't an issue. You or any member of your family could someday become ill and this would never, ever even be considered a catalyst. You and your family are exposed to much greater risks and dangers on a daily basis compared to this.

This is similar to those that worry that a couple of CT scans will increase their risk for cancer. I'm a survivor of Stage IV Head and Neck cancer. Guess what I was treated with? Yep... Radiation. 5 days a week for six weeks and a CT scan prior to each treatment to adjust the radiation beams. I had enough radiation to burn the skin off my neck and turn my throat and mouth into a burning painful mess. Had to live off a feeding tube for a month.

Point being... I'm not going to get cancer due to all the radiation I was exposed to and there's not one proven case that the scans and treatment I received would cause more cancer.

You're literally talking about a one ounce shot of asbestos (if it even is!!!!!) compared to the warehouse full needed of dust and a prolonged (years) exposure for it to pose a proven risk.

You're good... seriously... you're good ;)

Positive thoughts

braindead
29-09-17, 13:37
It won't since they only ever used blue & brown in industrial settings. They used white in housing.

THATS VERY TRUE TERRY. I no the chicken farms were all built in asbestos :whistles: