PDA

View Full Version : canker sore for 5 days-could it be oral cancer?

scaredpt
28-09-17, 13:44
I'm freaking out because I have this canker sore that just won't go away, and I found that oral cancer can start as a canker sore. I'm in so much pain and I'm so freaked out about this.

daisyflower
28-09-17, 14:36
Is that the same as an ulcer? Are you a 70 year old, tobacco chewing man? If not, I really wouldn't worry. They last ages, even my 5 year old's lasted 2 weeks.

scaredpt
28-09-17, 14:39
Yes an ulcer!

Hypomean
28-09-17, 14:48
Last time I had canker sore it lasted about 2 weeks

scaredpt
28-09-17, 15:41
I'm just worried because it's weirdly shaped. And I know that's a sign of cancer. What are the chances that it is cancer?

Capercrohnj
28-09-17, 15:58
Lots of people get canker sores especially women. Not likely that it is cancer.

Annaboodle
28-09-17, 16:20
It just sounds like a boring old mouth ulcer. They can last a while. You can get over-the-counter mouthwash to help clear them up if it's sore. I've had loads of them in my life.

Fishmanpa
28-09-17, 16:40
Just like you thought you had MS, internal bleeding from "bumping" your tummy, having a stroke due to yoga, menengitis etc., you're doing the same thing with a cold sore.

Positive thoughts

scaredpt
28-09-17, 16:46
It's not a cold sore though! It's an ulcer on the tip of my tongue!

Elliejane44
28-09-17, 16:51
Try gargling with salt water

Have you applied any mouth gel. Cordosoyl ?

That usually helps

Cancer in mouth really rare unless you are male , older and smoked lot

scaredpt
28-09-17, 20:07
i've tried everything but its gotten a bit bigger over the past few days. I'm really freaking out. but realistically 22 year old girls are not a common demographic for mouth cancer, right? how can I stop myself from looking at the worst cse scenario?

Annaboodle
28-09-17, 20:34
What are you doing for your health anxiety at the moment? I mean in terms of therapy or meds.

scaredpt
28-09-17, 23:35
Started with a new therapist, and he says I need to stop anxiety at the start so I don't get into a spiral. I'm trying different things, such as getting "mad" at the anxiety, trying to see the thought as irrational, rather than reality. I've also been doing a steam room each day and that helps for the next hour or two after. I'm also trying to get to thr root causes-my therapist thinks it is because im worried i wont grow old enough to have kids, which I agree with. im also trying to pinpoint the cycle-I think I get anxious midmorning for some reason.

---------- Post added at 22:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:05 ----------

I'm still freaking out please help guys

Fishmanpa
29-09-17, 01:59
Started with a new therapist, and he says I need to stop anxiety at the start so I don't get into a spiral.

I assume your therapist doesn't know you're posting here as it obviously feeds your anxiety and need for reassurance.

You need to discuss this with him as any therapist worth their salt would tell you to refrain from reassurance seeking.

Positive thoughts

AntsyVee
29-09-17, 02:47
I agree with FMP.

Also, mouth wash will get rid of it in a few days. If you don't have mouth wash, gargle with hydrogen peroxide. It will take a little longer, but it will work.

Canada67080
29-09-17, 18:09
I get canker sores all the time. (Hate them!)
Mine tend to last at LEAST a week

scaredpt
30-09-17, 16:07
Still here, day 6 or 7! Just hoping its not cancer and goes away soon

cattia
30-09-17, 16:22
I get them all the time. They last at least a week and get bigger and whiter as they heal.

CleverLittleViper
30-09-17, 23:31
Not every little thing you have will be something serious.

This is just a sore. It'll annoy for a couple of weeks, then it will go away and you'll be wondering why on earth you ever worried about that for.

Get a mouthwash, use that and it will go away shortly. How can you stop imagining the worst case scenario?

It's as simple as not imagining every tiny ailment is cancer. Where did you get the ridiculous idea that this was oral cancer from? Google? Listen-if Google was right, the vast majority of us wouldn't be able to post on here because we'd all be dead, from the vast array of tumours, neurological diseases and whatever else good old Google has cooked up for us. :roflmao:

Stop visiting Dr Google, and if you are using this site as a place for reassurance, I think it might be beneficial to stop. Reassurance very rarely helps anyone with HA. It simply fuels the cycle. Take the mouthwash, and the sore will go down in time.