PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety and Beta Blockers-PLEASE HELP

Ethansmom
28-09-17, 20:45
I'm not getting many responses on the medication board these days. I have anxiety (health)---all heart related due to my skipped/missed beats,which my doctor have said are perfectly normal. The issue is i take Lexepro, which isn't really doing it's job, so i've been taking clonazapam daily for half a year now. My problem with anxiety manifests through physical symptoms.....mostly ectopic beats, palpitations, skips, flutters, nervous stomach etc. The doctor prescribed me a low dose beta blocker and i'm terrified of taking anything that's for the heat! What if i die from taking it?? I don't have high blood pressure, although my resting heart rate is a bit high. She says the dose is so low that it should make a huge difference with my blood pressure. Has anyone heard of , or used Propanopolol with success? I'm so scared to take it, but want so badly to be free of this anxiety. It's been going on for 3 years now, and its time to put a stop to it. :scared15:

ServerError
28-09-17, 20:51
I took propranolol three times a day every day for six months. I'm still alive. They're good and serious side effects are extremely rare.

KK77
28-09-17, 20:59
I took propranolol three days a day every day for six months. I'm still alive. They're good and serious side effects are extremely rare.

You sure do defy the laws of physics, Server :wacko:

I take it twice a day. Very safe med imo.

Annaboodle
28-09-17, 21:00
I've taken it for years and never a problem.

ServerError
28-09-17, 21:20
You sure do defy the laws of physics, Server :wacko:

I take it twice a day. Very safe med imo.

Maybe it wasn't as good for me as I thought it was. :wacko:

CHELLEB1017
28-09-17, 21:26
I take a beta blocker for high blood pressure and it helps with my heart rate and blood pressure! Just give it a try seems like many people have great success!

Ethansmom
28-09-17, 21:59
Thank you all for responding. Did any of you take is specifically for anxiety, or was it for blood pressure reasons? just curious. My doctor said it's supposed to block that flight or fight response.

Annaboodle
28-09-17, 22:39
Me - for anxiety. I find it helps, in combination with talking therapies.

ServerError
28-09-17, 22:40
I took it exclusively for anxiety. It's not a miracle cure, though. It can be a useful tool in your armour alongside other medication and things you learn in therapy. Please don't expect it to get rid of your anxiety on its own.

PanickyGuy
29-09-17, 02:57
I'm not getting many responses on the medication board these days. I have anxiety (health)---all heart related due to my skipped/missed beats,which my doctor have said are perfectly normal. The issue is i take Lexepro, which isn't really doing it's job, so i've been taking clonazapam daily for half a year now. My problem with anxiety manifests through physical symptoms.....mostly ectopic beats, palpitations, skips, flutters, nervous stomach etc. The doctor prescribed me a low dose beta blocker and i'm terrified of taking anything that's for the heat! What if i die from taking it?? I don't have high blood pressure, although my resting heart rate is a bit high. She says the dose is so low that it should make a huge difference with my blood pressure. Has anyone heard of , or used Propanopolol with success? I'm so scared to take it, but want so badly to be free of this anxiety. It's been going on for 3 years now, and its time to put a stop to it. :scared15:

Sometimes it's also used to treat uneven heartbeat, atrial fibrillation, arrhythmia. I got a neighbor that takes it for that, according to him it does a pretty good job with his palps. But I remember once upon a time, an in-law was taking it for hyperthyroidism. So it seems doctors prescribe it for many reasons.

Ethansmom
03-10-17, 16:28
Hi all I'm taking propanopol for anxiety low dose 20 mg a day. I've been getting a tension headache since starting this medication it's only been a few days. I'm hoping it's not related to the medication. I live in Chicago and there has been a huge change in weather it went from the 60s to 90s back down to the 80s so I'm wondering if my headache is weather related? I'm just so scared of taking beta-blockers and I'm hoping it's not going to lower my blood pressure as I already have normal blood pressure. The doctor said a low-dose shouldn't do that at all.

Annaboodle
03-10-17, 16:33
Hi, you already posted about this a few days back: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=208585&highlight=beta+blockers and several people answered positively so not sure what further reassurance we can give you here.

Ethansmom
03-10-17, 17:30
I've been getting lots of tension headaches since starting this med
Is this normal? Did any of you get his? I feel like my neck and face are tender.

Elen
03-10-17, 17:44
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

Ethansmom
05-10-17, 15:10
It's been almost a week since taking the propanopol and I am STILL getting headaches everyday. I talked to the doctor and she said it is a side effect that may go away. She wants me to try sticking it out until Monday. She said if it responds to over the counter headache medicine then she wants me to keep at it until Monday. If it's not responding, then she wants me to just stop. I'm feeling so exhausted from taking these meds--- like I can sleep all day. The only good thing is that I have not had heart palps at ALL since taking them, however I cannot continue with the headache. I have a family to take care of and I work full time.

My headaches go away with advil, but then come right back after they've worn off. I also have no desire to work out, which I normally love to do. I'm afraid I won't be able to run like I used to. I feel depressed. Is this normal? No one answers on the meds board, so that's why i'm positing here.

PanickyGuy
05-10-17, 17:25
Well weakness or tiredness is one side effect of propanopal. So logically, your bound to get depressed if it prevents you from doing the things you love to do physically. The drug itself doesn't necessarily mean it's the cause of the depression.

Fishmanpa
05-10-17, 17:30
I've been taking a beta blocker for over ten years. The only negative about it is that it puts a cap on how hard my heart will work but that's what it's supposed to do and why it's works for anxiety. So, exerting myself typically leads to not being able to exert myself as I did prior to my heart issues. The side effects are nil otherwise.

IMO, this is your anxiety over the med itself and not a side effect of it.

Positive thoughts

Ethansmom
06-10-17, 15:00
Well, I talked to my doctor who said to come off the beta blocker since it's causing me headaches. It's only been a week, but these headaches are horrific and giving me more anxiety. There has to be another med that will calm down my brain. Currently I take lexepro (which isn't doing much), along with 2MG of Klonopin daily. There has so be something that will help calm down my anxious thoughts. I still have a headache today after stopping the beta blocker. Hopefully it will be out of my system quickly and I can get back to running. I stopped running for a week since I felt so headachy and weak.

PanickyGuy
06-10-17, 19:05
Yeah unfortunately one type of pill just doesn't work for everybody. So what about Benzodiazepines? Have you tried any of those yet? As a matter of fact, I could of swore you said you were taking lorazepam at one time or another.

Ethansmom
06-10-17, 19:10
Yup! I take clonazepam twice a day and was put on Lexepro (switched over from Celexa). I also have weekly counseling. I stopped the Beta blocker (second dose last night) and I still have a low grade tension headache. I'm hoping it will be out of my system soon! Not sure how long it takes to get it out of your system? I've been taking the beta blocker for only 6 days.

PanickyGuy
06-10-17, 19:47
Yup! I take clonazepam twice a day and was put on Lexepro (switched over from Celexa). I also have weekly counseling. I stopped the Beta blocker (second dose last night) and I still have a low grade tension headache. I'm hoping it will be out of my system soon! Not sure how long it takes to get it out of your system? I've been taking the beta blocker for only 6 days.

Have somebody massage your neck or use a heating pad on your neck. I've gotten those before and 9 times out of 10 it was due to a stiff\tight neck from the base of my head all the way down to my shoulders. Anxiety\worry\stress was the cause of it most of the time.

Sometimes we don't even realize all our anxiety and stress effects those muscles back there causing other problems like headaches and jaw pain.

Ethansmom
06-10-17, 20:20
Yup. I'll ask my husband to do that tonight. I'm just worried that I've had a headache for such a long time. I guess I have had these before.

Carrera74
06-10-17, 20:27
Betablockers are prescribed to help migraines too - I take them for the physical side of anxiety but they shouldn't be the cause of the tension. More likely worrying about taking them are causing it. I suffer with tension headaches and they are normally self inflicted -reading at a funny angle or sleeping weird. Hope that neck rubs works a treat :D

Fishmanpa
06-10-17, 20:51
I take them for the physical side of anxiety but they shouldn't be the cause of the tension. More likely worrying about taking them are causing it.

That was my thought as well. Especially in light of the OP's post history, the added anxiety of taking the new med was contributing to her anxiety thus causing headaches. I've never had any issues with my beta blocker other than what I stated about them putting a cap on how hard my heart will work.

Positive thoughts

Ethansmom
08-11-17, 23:41
I think i'm going to try the beta blockers again! I need something to calm me down! I will discuss with my psychiatrist tomorrow. I think part of the headaches may have been from the anxiety about taking them. I'll let you know how it goes!

PanickyGuy
09-11-17, 01:06
Hope everything works out for you this time, Ethansmom. ;)