PDA

View Full Version : Pls can someone give me some perspective?

Dontworrybaby
29-09-17, 12:34
Hi
For a few months now my knee has felt uncomfortable, sometimes the discomfort is in my thigh and sometimes it moves to my hip. It hasn't got any worse but it's still there.
I'm 4 months pregnant so can't have a MRI etc.
I'm so very worried it's something sinister.
I've suffered with health anxiety for years and I normally control it with exercise but I'm so extremely sick with this pregnancy I can't do anything physical.
My husband has reassured me if he was remotely worried he would send me off to the Drs, he says this types of aches and pains are totally normal and everyone experiences them at some point.
I feel like I've completely and utterly lost perspective on everything:(
I look at my children and my heart aches that if something is really wrong I would leave them motherless 😢
Aches and pains are a normal part of the process of aging; so how does everyone cope with it? And not worry it's something sinister? It's only going to get worse as I get older so I need to sort this now.
Sorry I've rambled on a bit. I just feel very desperate and would appreciate any replies from anyone to help me get things in perspective and to try and find a way of dealing with this hideous anxiety 😢

Carrera74
29-09-17, 12:49
Hello

Anxiety sucks doesn't it!

I don't know how old you are but I do know when I did my back in when pregnant it took months to get better - the ligaments etc are weaker I believe when you're pregnant and as I know that as you get older your body takes a lot longer to recover from aches and sprains!

As it's your knee it's a difficult area to mend from a sprain or a pull. Can you visit your GP and ask him to advice on some stretching exercises you can do to help it. The fact it's going up your leg means it's muscular so a little physio will help you.

I have my own health anxieties but I try to ignore aches and pains and think about it logically and think have I sprained it, has exercise helped etc.

I do know concentrating on it will make it last longer :)

Dontworrybaby
29-09-17, 13:02
Carrera thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply x
You are right I should look into physio. And yes concentrating on it (which I do obsessively) is really not helping at all.
I'm in my 30s. I used to do so much yoga, running and Pilates but can't right now.
Thanks again x

Carrera74
29-09-17, 13:45
I am an obsessive thinker too but about different things which makes it easier for me to see that you're worrying unnecessarily - if only I saw my own worries so clearly.... :)
Your knee has probably gone into shock as it wants some movement haha
Try not to worry (I know that's a ridiculous thing to say to a worrier!) :) x

CHELLEB1017
29-09-17, 15:32
Had my last baby at 34 and my legs were always sore! The whole entire leg! I cant tell you how many times I went to the er thinking it was a blood clot and guess what just normal aches and pains from the baby and all the pressure and extra weight! You are fine mama! Congrats!

Dontworrybaby
29-09-17, 16:41
Thank you for your replies xxx
I really am grateful.
It's really good to hear your opinions and it definitely helps get things in perspective.
Think I need to do another cbt course and try and control the catastrophic thinking x