PDA

View Full Version : compelling personal reasons at uni student finance

amypatterson1231
29-09-17, 15:39
Hi 🙂

I am due to resit my second year due to personal circumstances which have been accepted off the uni. I have already had 3 years of funding through SF as I completed a foundation course to get onto my degree, meaning I only have 1 year of funding left which is for third year. I have applied for an extra year of funding due to compelling personal reasons both physical and mental.

Over the past 6 years I have struggled badly with social anxiety, general anxiety, depression, and more recently been aware that I have a lot of traits of Borderline Personality Disorder. This really affected my studies in second year as I was unable to attend a lot of seminars due to my anxiety, a lot of days having no contact with anyone for a long time and just staying in my room depressed and anxious. I am currently receiving CAT for this and am on medication to control it, which seems to be helping slightly (it's only early days of medication).

At the start of second semester, I unfortunately found out I was pregnant, this was completely unplanned therefore I had to move home where my boyfriend lives and miss a lot of uni while I decided what I was doing. A few weeks later I suffered and incomplete miscarriage, meaning I was in pain/bleeding for a few weeks and it would come and go so I didnt know when it was going to stop. This didn't help my mental health and I ended up missing the full of second semester due to this, as I believed I had already missed so much there was no point in trying to catch up while dealing with what had happened. Due to this, I failed my second year.

I have been accepted by the uni to completely resit second year and they have been very understanding and supportive of my circumstances. The only problem is, is that I have only just found out this is what I will be doing, so have only just applied for an extra year through student finance, which currently is taking up 20 days or more processing time until I find out if it gets accepted or not. My course started last week and I really really don't want to miss out while I wait to see if it gets accepted, so I have decided to attend and commute from home until I find this out. The uni are letting me attend my seminars and lectures until I find out as well. I was just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation or has had their extra year funded due to compelling personal circumstances and could give me an idea if I will. Im worried that I will spend a lot of time and money going back and forward over the next few weeks to attend and then they don't get accepted and I have to drop out and pay the weeks I have attended with my own money.

This is a list of the evidence I have sent to student finance to support my reasons:

- A signed and dated letter from my doctor explaining I have struggled with anxiety for a long time and had many appointments at the doctors. Confirming I have received CBT and am currently receiving CAT. Also states that I have been referred for analysis by a psychiatric nurse to get a proper diagnosis as I suffer extreme anxiety, emotional issues and personality disorder traits.

- scans and a letter from BPAS before and after my miscarriage confirming it. This is all I could get in evidence towards this as for some reason my GP has no record of me being pregnant? I think maybe because I was treated through BPAS and didn't end up having an abortion as it happened naturally?

- transcript of the 111 call made when miscarriage started confirming pain and bleeding from possible pregnancy

- a letter from the university signed and dated confirming they are aware of my circumstances and situation in the past year how it affected my study leading for me to re sit second year

- a letter from the university confirming that my foundation year was necessary for me to get onto my degree. I was informed to do this by student finance as they said this alone should allow me to have an extra year of funding but i'm not convinced by this?

- the email from the university RRAA panel confirming all my special circumstances were accepted for every module

- letters confirming appointments for CAT and talking therapy

- my prescription and medical record for medication for anxiety (sertraline)

I apologise for the length of this post but if ANYONE can offer any help or has any experience of compelling personal reasons through student finance please let me know!

thank you