PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety out of control starting on meds

cattia
30-09-17, 08:16
I started meds for my anxiety two weeks ago this weekend and since then I am a million times worse. I have full on panic attacks every day whereas I had them only once in a while before. I'm constantly full of adrenaline, exhausted, on edge, not sleeping, foggy headed etc. I am barely functioning and worried I will have to be signed off work soon. I had a similar experience when I started prozac years ago and it did work for me in the end but I was in a much worse state when I started it than I was this time and back then I already wasn't really functioning before going on it, whereas this time yes my anxiety was bad but nothing like this.
If prozac worked does this mean Sertraline will work or should I just give up now? I'm worried it's made my anxiety so bad that I'll be stuck like this now even if I stop taking it, it's like hell!

Chick100
30-09-17, 08:52
I started meds for my anxiety two weeks ago this weekend and since then I am a million times worse. I have full on panic attacks every day whereas I had them only once in a while before. I'm constantly full of adrenaline, exhausted, on edge, not sleeping, foggy headed etc. I am barely functioning and worried I will have to be signed off work soon. I had a similar experience when I started prozac years ago and it did work for me in the end but I was in a much worse state when I started it than I was this time and back then I already wasn't really functioning before going on it, whereas this time yes my anxiety was bad but nothing like this.
If prozac worked does this mean Sertraline will work or should I just give up now? I'm worried it's made my anxiety so bad that I'll be stuck like this now even if I stop taking it, it's like hell!

Hi cattia.

I feel for you and am going through similar on a new drug too, but much less so than you.

I think you have given the Sertraline a good go, and its time you went back to see your doctor. Maybe sertraline just isnīt for you but something else will be.

I had a bad experience with saroxat ( paroxetine) and that was hell too. I felt like I was on a bad trip . I rang the doctor after taking the first one and feeling terrible, then 3 days later had an appointment with him and he changed me to something else. I think the something else was sertraline and I was scared of taking it because of the horrible time on seroxat, but it actually suited me.

Go back to see your GP, and I hope you feel better on something else very soon. :hugs:

cattia
01-10-17, 09:52
Thanks Chick, I hope your new drug works for you. They say it takes Sertraline four weeks to work but I don't know if I can stick it out. Trouble is I need some relief from my anxiety so I don't want to go back to square one with the side effects of a new drug so I'm not sure what to do. I'll make an appointment with my dr this week if I can.

Chick100
02-10-17, 07:46
Hi again Cattia.

Do go to the doctor, even if its just for reassurance. Has he or she mentioned seeing a psychologist? If so that will help you too.

I have various things that have helped me through bad times .
The first are books by Dr Claire Weekes. They were first published in the 60s so a bit old fashioned in their style, but she really was way ahead of her time and her books on anxiety and depression and ways to cope are the best thing I have ever read. She explains all the weird and scary things anxiety and panic throw at us, in a way we can understand, and also advice on how to deal with it until it no longer rules our lives.

I also have a relaxation exercise CD which talks you through tensing and releasing all your muscle groups to rid you of tension and calm you down. It takes practice so donīt be put of if it takes a while for you to appreciate a difference, but once you get into the exercises its possible to become so relaxed that you even drift off to sleep, on even the worst days of anxiety.
Ask your doctor if he has one of those you can have.

I hope you feel better very soon, and please do try some self help.

Bye for now Cattia :hugs: