PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos worry again 😩

Hetty80
30-09-17, 09:06
It's been a long time since I've been in here but used to find the support amazing so hoping you guys can ease my anxiety this time. I used to worry about the artex covered ceilings in my house and the asbestos risk but that's long gone now. However, earlier this year my husband admits to me that the porch has an asbestos insulated board. Immediately I panicked as I have two small children. The worst thing was that the board had a small hole in it where it had been damaged by previous owners. My husband assured me that it had been painted over and sealed up years ago and on contacting an asbestos company he agreed. Since then my husband has sealed the whole sheet of asbestos by building a wooden frame underneath it and then placing a sheet of plasterboard over it. Although uncomfortable having asbestos in the house whilst my children are living here I don't even want to have it touched to inspect it let alone remove it but last night I started to worry about the other side of the asbestos sheet! This will be sitting under my sons bedroom 😢. I fear that there is now asbestos dust under my sons floorboards and I'm struggling with this. He has underlay and carpet. Is this enough to protect him? Please help 😢😢

hanshan
30-09-17, 13:35
I grew up with raw asbestos sheeting everywhere, and I'm still here. Random fibres don't detach themselves from sheeting and force their way up through floorboards, underlay and carpet. The danger is if you mechanically saw or drill through sheeting. Even then, mesothelioma is a relatively rare disease considering the tens of thousands of asbestos cement sheets that were used in building over the years. Most councils regard existing asbestos cement sheeting as no-risk unless it is disturbed in some way.

Hetty80
01-10-17, 08:27
Thank you for your reply. I know random fibres don't detach themselves but my fear is that there is old dust there from the old damage that was done years ago as there is a small hole in the sheet? ��