PDA

View Full Version : Hate it when this letter comes :(

LF87
30-09-17, 10:44
Hi,
I haven't posted for a while as I've been a lot better with my HA. But, this annual letter always puts me back in my place.
I have to get yearly smears after finding mild cervical cell changes plus HPV. I've had 2 colposcopys the past two years and biopsies confirming mild changes. The letters have both said just to come back in a year to be monitored and no treatment needed.
But honestly, the tests, the waiting, the letters, it sends me into a terrible spiral. So I guess I just need some support to stay rational ahead of my incoming turmoil.
Both years I've had hair loss over it due to immense stress and had to stay off from uni.
Can anyone offer some advice on not making this such a catastrophe this time? The colposcopy lady said last year that cervical cancer would take 5+ years at least to develop so that I shouldn't even go there in my head as I'm keeping up to date with everything. But i can't help it :(

Thanks for reading and any advice really appreciated x

---------- Post added at 10:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 ----------

Oops I forgot to say, the letter is just to book my smear. But as the last two years have been slightly abnormal I'm expecting this to be the same or worse :(

Becazican
30-09-17, 15:39
Just stay on top of it and you will be fine, you are being pro active. Instead of looking at that letter with dread , look at it as a reminder to stay in good health. People who do get the cancer are the ones who ignore that yearly letter.

Loloo
30-09-17, 19:56
I know what you mean, as I had my first smear test done this year just last month. I was so scared that it will come back abnormal and I will never be able to have kids.
2 weeks later came back completely normal!

Good luck and I know that you will be fine!

Xx

Cusper
01-10-17, 04:10
You will be fine! I had high risk hpv 16. I kept going every 6 weeks and found out had high grade dysplasia. I was sooooo freaked out when I found out. Google was no good basically telling me that was it, I was destined to get cancer if I had that strain of hpv. I would have mental breakdowns and nobody was any help at all. Not even the nurses. Ok the fact that you have had mild changes over the years can be irritating because it is not putting the issue to rest. However if they are on it you are going to be just fine. I had my operation and they had actually done a dna test and didn't even find the hpv strain. The operation wasn't anything major either. What really bothers me is the lack of concrete information. It has only been with time and me talking just about everyone that I know about hpv. so apparently my aunts had it, basically all of my friends who didn't marry their highschool sweethearts have had it and most of them have had one treatment or another up to even 30 years ago and are fine. Some of my mom's friends even had the worst kind 40 years ago and now they are in their 80's. What I am telling you is that I had severe changes and I am fine. You will be fine.

LF87
02-10-17, 09:17
Thanks for the replies.
Cusper it's good to know you were in the same boat and are fine now. I know it's quite common to have abnormal results and hpv, 4 of my friends have had high risk abnormalities plus hpv anf needed the laser treatment. They're all fine now and back to 3 yearly smears. I just hate having any tests done! I actively avoid it. But i guess I know how stupid it would be to turn down smear tests. I just worry that I'll get a letter saying something has already developed, that's what I'm most afraid of. But that's irrational right? They wouldn't send me away each year if they thought that was a possibility?
Thanks