PDA

View Full Version : Take Responsibility

CleverLittleViper
01-10-17, 13:47
If there's one thing I've started to notice that is common amongst anxiety-sufferers, it is that few people accept responsibility for their anxiety. They can know certain habits are bad but they keep doing it because "they can't help it."

For example, perhaps the most prevalent habit amongst those that suffer with HA, is the habit to constantly consult Dr Google. So, they type in whatever symptom it is they're facing at that moment, and read all kinds of stuff, and then fly off into a panic. All under the guise that they cannot help themselves.

How true is it that you can't stop doing the habits that are keeping you trapped in this cycle? Is that you can't stop or is it really that you won't stop?

Continuing with the Google thing because it is one of those habits that is perhaps the most common and possibly the most damaging to those with HA, you know it is bad and hurting you, yet you do it anyway. It's not a matter of not being able to help yourself. Every time you open up a new tab, click "Google," type in the words and click search, you're making a choice. It's time to take responsibility for that choice.

It is only when we take responsibility for our anxiety and the choices we make can we progress to making better choices, and actually get on the road to recovery. If you sit on your hands and say, "Well, I couldn't help doing x, y and z," then you will get what you deserve. Which is to remain where you are, until you can admit that you're doing it to yourself.

If you genuinely want to get better, and get unstuck from the glue that is anxiety, your choices have to reflect that goal. You have to actively pursue recovery, and that means leaving behind the old habits that have kept you stuck. So, no more Google, no more making endless doctor appointments (unless to discuss and deal with your anxiety) no more reassurance-seeking.

It's hard, no doubt about it. It takes work, endurance, willpower, and the understanding that there will be times where you slip back into old habits, and then gaining the motivation to pull yourself back out. You can only do this by taking responsibility for yourself.

pulisa
01-10-17, 19:58
Great post but I doubt whether you will get much response because it makes uncomfortable reading for most people who regularly use the HA forum to discuss and compare their symptoms with others who are addicted to Dr Google.

Being responsible for your mental health gives you power and strength to turn away from self destructive behaviours.

AntsyVee
01-10-17, 20:04
Yes, I completely agree with both of you, but like Pulisa says, it will probably fall on deaf ears. In therapy many of us work hard to get out of the victim mentality...to move through the “why me?” to the “what can I do about it?” Most people on here have not started that journey yet.

melfish
01-10-17, 20:14
I need to get past my disease conviction first.

pulisa
01-10-17, 20:17
I think that this forum can be a "comfortable" place for those with HA and any challenging of the tea and sympathy approach is not welcome. It's easier just to carry on posting for reassurance rather than take responsibility for moving away from this unhelpful habit.

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

I need to get past my disease conviction first.

You know what you need to do..

melfish
01-10-17, 20:31
You know what you need to do..

See a doctor? Too afraid

Midnight-mouse
01-10-17, 20:32
Although I do agree completely, compulsions are a b*tch. It isn't easy and often people will find themselves in the same old traps just trying to ease the compulsive side of the conditions and it's not always for lack of trying or being responsible for ones own mental Heath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pulisa
01-10-17, 20:38
Although I do agree completely, compulsions are a b*tch. It isn't easy and often people will find themselves in the same old traps just trying to ease the compulsive side of the conditions and it's not always for lack of trying or being responsible for ones own mental Heath.

But does this ease the compulsive side? Or is this a "yes but" scenario? I know I'm being tough here and no it isn't easy but it can be done.

Midnight-mouse
01-10-17, 20:55
But does this ease the compulsive side? Or is this a "yes but" scenario? I know I'm being tough here and no it isn't easy but it can be done.

Well on one hand it satisfies the compulsion, but it solidifies the cycle which makes it even harder in the future. I am by no means disagreeing with you, if I'm honest breaking some of the more harmful compulsions in my own mental health has probably been the hardest thing I've had to do, I'm still left with some that don't negatively impact my life that right now I don't have the fight for, thankfully the war on google has been fought and I'm quite confident in saying it won't be coming back.

I think a lot of the time on the HA board people know full well in themselves that what they are experiencing is anxiety, otherwise why post on an anxiety board? These things take an awful amount of time and sometimes talking things over is the first step to realising the need for taking full responsibility over our thoughts and actions, I know this was the case for myself and I still often have to talk through intrusive thoughts in order to acknowledge them and move on, as opposed to falling down the google rabbit hole.

Please don't take this that I'm in disagreement that ultimately the only way to truly move forward is to take completely responsibility and control, but until a person is ready to take those steps then some patience for those still stuck in the google trap is needed although difficult, because of course everyone would prefer it just to click "oh I'm being anxious - never mind" or "I'm never going to get better if i keep doing this" sometimes people just haven't got it in them to fight that much. we all have bad days for me it's how a person comes back from those bad times that's important as that's ultimately where we are going to improve and grow.

atl
02-10-17, 00:08
This is the best thread I have read on here.

There is nothing more guaranteed to keep the anxiety cycle going than seeking reassurance. But it's so hard to break. Unfortunately I am guilty of it as well.

Sometimes not "checking" can be so difficult when it becomes almost second nature.

Ellient
02-10-17, 03:51
I love this thread, it is so true people on this forum will go on cancer forums and other sites to look for issues and symptoms and be surprised when they get worried I understand it must be hard to break that but I don't see who is forcing them to google it, if you know you're gonna panic DONT! google is full of forums and seeking advice about their actual diagnosis. It is disrespectful to go on a cancer forum for advice and I have seen some people on here say they have done it. You could google every symptom in the world and your "diagnosis" will never be the same as someone else's so what good is that going to do?

I have had health anxiety for about a month or two when my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer I had convinced myself I had hip problems and I went to the a&e and got told I was fine and within a day the "pains" I felt were gone. Anxiety can trick you!

Take control.

MyNameIsTerry
02-10-17, 06:14
Well on one hand it satisfies the compulsion, but it solidifies the cycle which makes it even harder in the future. I am by no means disagreeing with you, if I'm honest breaking some of the more harmful compulsions in my own mental health has probably been the hardest thing I've had to do, I'm still left with some that don't negatively impact my life that right now I don't have the fight for, thankfully the war on google has been fought and I'm quite confident in saying it won't be coming back.

I think a lot of the time on the HA board people know full well in themselves that what they are experiencing is anxiety, otherwise why post on an anxiety board? These things take an awful amount of time and sometimes talking things over is the first step to realising the need for taking full responsibility over our thoughts and actions, I know this was the case for myself and I still often have to talk through intrusive thoughts in order to acknowledge them and move on, as opposed to falling down the google rabbit hole.

Please don't take this that I'm in disagreement that ultimately the only way to truly move forward is to take completely responsibility and control, but until a person is ready to take those steps then some patience for those still stuck in the google trap is needed although difficult, because of course everyone would prefer it just to click "oh I'm being anxious - never mind" or "I'm never going to get better if i keep doing this" sometimes people just haven't got it in them to fight that much. we all have bad days for me it's how a person comes back from those bad times that's important as that's ultimately where we are going to improve and grow.

I agree.

First comes gettng past denial. That's harder for the HAers as they have fears they have something else. I never doubted I had anxiety, I went to my GP and he diagnosed it and I believed him. But I've never been a HAer either so I didn't have that first obstacle to get over.

It's interesting that the DSM used to have "poor insight" mentioned possibly for those who are more lost to their cycles at the severe end? It's a debatable issue and WHO never had it in their ICD but I think we can all say we have seen people like this (think the 13+ page thread types) where it goes beyond reassurance seeking & fear alone into some level of ingrained denial. I don't know, we won't all aree on this one and since the professionals can't either...how can we? :shrug:

After that you have an even worse task to take on. Sorting yourself out. This is where I hav struggled a lot as whilst reassurance was never a factor for me, and it did little if anything for me, avoidance was a big one. My GAD and later OCD loves to control my life to the point of micro managing. I remember telling my therapist it was like how I used to manage projects at work. The environment wasn't good because many of us had to do the same because of the lack of experience due to business moving officers so much in a short time over a decade or so. It took me years to learn the work and even longer to learn about the industry/regulatory side so those joining yeats later had the same journey and it only put more pressure on those further on from them. This thinking "got under my skin" in my relapse and I started doing it whether I eating or going to the toilet or anything else (1. get up, 2. walk in there, 3. unzip... you can work the rest out yourself :blush:)

It's still part of my work now.

And I agree that sometimes you just aren't ready. It's a reason I can be annoyed by arguments on here when people get frustrated. The person has to work it out for themselves. As my GF once said about her depression, sometimes you have to hit rock bottom so you get so sick of yourself you drag yourself back. That hasn't worked for me but I have my own version of it.

Sometimes you just can't get people to face up to it.

My CBT wasn't very helpful. But I found much more help in Mindfulness, which I why I'm positive in promoting it on here, and after 6 months of daily practice I found myself wanting to tackle the goals I just couldn't face in therapy. It felt impossible in therapy and it felt like all those words were just that. But if I had CBT once I found what helped, I would have been more responsive...but the system just isn't set up to work beyond formulaic for so many of us.

We just have to hope things like this thread get through to some people. Even one and you've done what you set out to. Even none, you've still tried and that's well worth it! :yesyes:

---------- Post added at 06:14 ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 ----------

Also, why don't we start adding the stars so some people might start reading them more?

pulisa
02-10-17, 08:22
Terry, I'm a walking disaster in terms of my issues but I have always wanted to take responsibility for my shortcomings and avoidance of really challenging scenarios (for me). I've had HA since I was about 10 and of course now I'm a carer it's very important that I don't get ill but....there are basic things you can do to manage things as best you can and not ask for trouble..and I believe that googling symptoms is asking for trouble. You're making the choice to put yourself in the lion's den. Can you help yourself or is the compulsion too strong? Is it all about self-discipline or would you google despite every warning not to? I know all about rituals but what is the payback for googling other than misery?

Ben1989
02-10-17, 08:29
I have stopped going on Google for months now. That helped a tiny bit. But I continuously get permanent 'symptoms'. Feeling of weakness in my right shoulder for months non-stop, feeling of weakness in my right wrist, all sensations happening down my right side, last night and this morning my right leg having a hot sensation. My wrist and shoulder tires very easily when doing stuff like vacuuming where my left shoulder and wrist don't even feel like they've done anything.

Hard to believe it's anxiety when it's all down one side and I have chronic issues.

pulisa
02-10-17, 08:35
Have you been checked out by a doctor, Ben? If you have and have been told you have anxiety do you believe these are anxiety symptoms?

Ben1989
02-10-17, 08:44
Yes as I had been to the doctor convinced I had MS last year with my dizziness, vision issues and hearing issues. Had an MRI of my brain (not my spine) and there were no lesions.

Doctors do believe it's all down to anxiety but my doctor said she would work with me if I worked with her because she identifies that anxious people get sick also. So I've had physio for the past two months where she said if they don't find anything she'd explore other avenues. The physio hasn't found anything :weep:.

pulisa
02-10-17, 08:51
So I take it that you believe you have MS because you didn't have an MRI of your spine. You don't believe that your symptoms are down to anxiety? You believe that your symptoms haven't been fully investigated?

---------- Post added at 08:51 ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 ----------

If you had been given a spinal MRI and it came back clear would that be sufficient evidence for you?

Ben1989
02-10-17, 08:54
I see where you're going but yes - I do believe that. The thing is none of us want to feel this way. I firmly believe that there is something causing this outside of anxiety.

Since May last year I can say there's probably been about 2 weeks where I've had no physical symptoms and I was extremely happy. When I have no symptoms I'm so happy. I was very happy by nature before my HA.

With how long these symptoms have been here and starting to 'spread', eg. my wrist is now weak from a month ago, I don't believe it's anxiety. I get no 'flare ups' due to anxiety. They are constant physical issues.

MyNameIsTerry
02-10-17, 08:58
I see where you're going but yes - I do believe that. The thing is none of us want to feel this way. I firmly believe that there is something causing this outside of anxiety.

Since May last year I can say there's probably been about 2 weeks where I've had no physical symptoms and I was extremely happy. When I have no symptoms I'm so happy. I was very happy by nature before my HA.

With how long these symptoms have been here and starting to 'spread', eg. my wrist is now weak from a month ago, I don't believe it's anxiety. I get no 'flare ups' due to anxiety. They are constant physical issues.

I have daily symptoms too. Some days they are worse.

I don't believe they are anything outside of anxiety other than things like ageing, postural, need for exercise, etc.

GAD sufferers tend to have it constantly, it's in the criteria.

Ben1989
02-10-17, 09:02
But why do my joints tire easily?

I remember one week ALL the joints in my body hurt. Even in my fingers. Had bloods (the doctor through the book on me) and nothing showed up. Nothing. How can that happen?!

pulisa
02-10-17, 09:05
Then you need to push for more tests. I had similar symptoms to you and spent a day in hospital having a battery of neuro tests. It was anxiety. You are not me of course and need to get your own diagnosis and peace of mind. If tests reveal nothing that you fear then you really do need to accept and BELIEVE the anxiety diagnosis. Symptoms won't miraculously disappear overnight.

I'd really advise you to go back to the GP and tell him/her what you really fear. If you are sent for tests have them done and believe the outcome. Don't let the doubts creep in.

---------- Post added at 09:04 ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 ----------

But why do my joints tire easily?

I remember one week ALL the joints in my body hurt. Even in my fingers. Had bloods (the doctor through the book on me) and nothing showed up. Nothing. How can that happen?!

Easily with anxiety

---------- Post added at 09:05 ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 ----------

I don't know how many tests you've already had done but I suspect you want a full check up re MS and won't settle for anything else? That will mean hospital tests of course.

Ben1989
02-10-17, 09:32
Yeah you're right having full tests would help me.

I actually had an EMG on my arm to do with ALS but it came back clear

Lola-Lee
02-10-17, 09:36
I don't think there is a day goes by where I don't have some anxiety, I have had a battery of tests and one came back as positive,that doesn't help my anxiety. I take full responsibility for how I deal with my anxiety disorder,for it was I who created it.

Ben1989
02-10-17, 10:04
i can't watch the constant cancer commercials etc as I don't want to hear of ill-health at all

MyNameIsTerry
02-10-17, 10:40
Joint aches, I've had them, still do. I found magnesium rubbed into them really helped with this but it can take a while to truly help.

If it always has to be something other than anxiety then why don't we hear about all the non HAera who are ill with something else?

Ben1989
02-10-17, 11:34
Thanks for the magnesium tip!.

Your last sentence Terry - what do you mean exactly?

pulisa
02-10-17, 12:05
Yeah you're right having full tests would help me.

I actually had an EMG on my arm to do with ALS but it came back clear

The problem of course will be "how many tests will be enough to give me full proof that I am not in the grips of a sinister neurological illness?". There will never be 100% certainty in a lifetime.

KK77
02-10-17, 12:54
The problem of course will be "how many tests will be enough to give me full proof that I am not in the grips of a sinister neurological illness?". There will never be 100% certainty in a lifetime.

Unless the test/s reveal a definitive diagnosis (which let's face it, never happens), I don't believe there will be "enough" tests to convince an HA sufferer until their actual anxiety disorder is treated.

elysemarie123
02-10-17, 13:45

I also think as an anxiety sufferer, the symptoms we feel become the norm. I have functioning anxiety, which means I am always alert to everything in my body but I don't typically have full blown panic attacks. When I focus on a particular symptom (like you are with your arm) I am so much more noticeable to any change that mirrors what I am looking for. This causes me to constantly flex that muscle actually creating a real ache or pain. For example -- one of my triggers is headaches. Because of this (and my anxiety) I constantly clench my jaw. When I notice it starts to hurt, I focus on it and actually create a temple headache. I've tried experiments where I focus on something else to see if it goes away and it does. The point I'm at now in my anxiety is figuring out why sometimes I am able to let symptoms go, while other times I obsess. There is no rhyme or reason for it and I can't figure out why sometimes things bother me so much and other times I let it roll off my back. I'm working at it though!

I think you also mentioned that when you see a cancer commercial that it triggers you and you can't even watch it. I think this speaks to our world right now -- everything is readily available and in front of us. Think about 30 years ago -- you didn't have google, you got your news from the TV or newspaper, and there wasn't that instant fix of a forum like this. Maybe try to tune it all out for a week or so? See what happens. The media makes money off people watching and clicking so of course they are going to focus on articles that will make people stress. (this is not in any way making a comment about media like our POTUS does (not to get political but he's awful - just throwing that out there :winks:) -- but studying communications in college, the media is a business. And -- I know it doesn't have to be said but no one has ever gotten cancer from a commercial -- let go of that demon and prove it to yourself :)

Ben1989
02-10-17, 14:07
I think the whole media side is because it's making me feel like ill-health is ALL around me. Granted, living in the UK there is nowhere near the media focus on health as the USA so it must be difficult watching TV there

KK77
02-10-17, 14:15
I think the whole media side is because it's making me feel like ill-health is ALL around me. Granted, living in the UK there is nowhere near the media focus on health as the USA so it must be difficult watching TV there

I agree with that. Even visiting a GP surgery, you're bombarded with posters to "check this...check that...watch out for..." I do sympathise with HA sufferers and I had it myself years ago. But we still have to help ourselves by getting treatment - whether it's meds, talking therapy or even self-help (books, apps, vids etc).

Fishmanpa
02-10-17, 17:09
The path this thread has taken affirms the original post I'm afraid :(

Positive thoughts

pulisa
02-10-17, 18:01
This thread is probably the best one we have had on the HA board for ages so let's hope it doesn't get swallowed up too soon.

budgie1979
02-10-17, 20:13

You should see the anti-smoking commercials they have here in NY. People on ventilators, with tracheotomy holes, fingers amputated, etc. I want to scream at the TV every time I see one that I've never been a smoker and I wish I could opt out of these awful advertisements. They always show them during the dinner hour, too. :wacko:

But yes, I'm with you on feeling like illness (cancer particularly, since that's my big fear) is everywhere. I find social media is especially bad because there's always someone posting about a friend/loved one with cancer, raising money for cancer research, or just sharing those oh-so-helpful articles about how to check yourself for cancer (:scared15: worst thing ever for HA--don't ever read those!).

Fishmanpa
02-10-17, 20:32
If there's one thing I've started to notice that is common amongst anxiety-sufferers, it is that few people accept responsibility for their anxiety. They can know certain habits are bad but they keep doing it because "they can't help it."

For example, perhaps the most prevalent habit amongst those that suffer with HA, is the habit to constantly consult Dr Google. So, they type in whatever symptom it is they're facing at that moment, and read all kinds of stuff, and then fly off into a panic. All under the guise that they cannot help themselves.

How true is it that you can't stop doing the habits that are keeping you trapped in this cycle? Is that you can't stop or is it really that you won't stop?

Continuing with the Google thing because it is one of those habits that is perhaps the most common and possibly the most damaging to those with HA, you know it is bad and hurting you, yet you do it anyway. It's not a matter of not being able to help yourself. Every time you open up a new tab, click "Google," type in the words and click search, you're making a choice. It's time to take responsibility for that choice.

It is only when we take responsibility for our anxiety and the choices we make can we progress to making better choices, and actually get on the road to recovery. If you sit on your hands and say, "Well, I couldn't help doing x, y and z," then you will get what you deserve. Which is to remain where you are, until you can admit that you're doing it to yourself.

If you genuinely want to get better, and get unstuck from the glue that is anxiety, your choices have to reflect that goal. You have to actively pursue recovery, and that means leaving behind the old habits that have kept you stuck. So, no more Google, no more making endless doctor appointments (unless to discuss and deal with your anxiety) no more reassurance-seeking.

It's hard, no doubt about it. It takes work, endurance, willpower, and the understanding that there will be times where you slip back into old habits, and then gaining the motivation to pull yourself back out. You can only do this by taking responsibility for yourself.

Figured I'd try to put this back on track. It's not about what triggers you or anything else. It's about recognizing the real illness and taking it upon yourself to treat it!

I don't have HA but I have a plethora of real physical issues that, if I allowed them to, would put me into a deep pit of depression and despair. I've had my moments believe me! BUT... I have meds I need to take to help with these issues and I take them. I also eat right and exercise (not enough but I do). I still have the issues but I'm pro-active in treating them. And the mental part? I use the things I learned in therapy and work my ass off every single day to keep a positive attitude (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=173453).

I'll never ever be 100% again. Many here with mental illness may never reach 100% either but damn...80% (or any %) is better than 0%!

Positive thoughts

pulisa
02-10-17, 20:44
I agree with getting this thread back on track but it shows how people will take every opportunity to discuss their own symptoms rather than address and acknowledge their underlying anxiety and the fundamental cause of these symptoms. When is the right time to be "ready" to address HA? Is there ever a right time or is it just a delaying tactic/ avoidance issue? For me taking responsibility means facing up to my anxiety disorder and not making excuses for my shortcomings. I admit that I will never be able to beat my ED but I can manage it as I manage my HA.

swajj
03-10-17, 01:44
Great post Pulisa. And yes when is the right time? I have been a member here for many years. I have never come here and discussed my symptoms. I have talked about my experiences with HA only. It has always seemed pointless to me to ask people on an anxiety board with no medical training for advice on medical issues. Where is the logic in that? If you won’t believe your doctor and you won’t believe the results of tests then how are you ever going to believe the word of a bunch of people with your own mental illness? If you come here to discuss how anxiety can cause symptoms then you have come to the right place.

The most frustrating people here are the ones who continue to Google symptoms. Don’t bother telling me that it is a compulsion that you just can’t stop. That’s just an excuse. I was compelled to do the same thing but when I was told that I would never get well as long as I continued to Google I stopped. The same day. Nothing is more apparent to me than the fact that many of you Google symptoms until you find what you most fear, life threatening illnesses that fit your symptoms. Illnesses that you (and most people here) have never heard of until you found them on Google. Don’t bother complaining that your HA is worse than mine. It isn’t. Mine was severe. As the OP suggests take responsibility for your recovery.

MyNameIsTerry
03-10-17, 01:51
Terry, I'm a walking disaster in terms of my issues but I have always wanted to take responsibility for my shortcomings and avoidance of really challenging scenarios (for me). I've had HA since I was about 10 and of course now I'm a carer it's very important that I don't get ill but....there are basic things you can do to manage things as best you can and not ask for trouble..and I believe that googling symptoms is asking for trouble. You're making the choice to put yourself in the lion's den. Can you help yourself or is the compulsion too strong? Is it all about self-discipline or would you google despite every warning not to? I know all about rituals but what is the payback for googling other than misery?

Googling has never been one of mine. My closest would be obsessive searching for information/cures that I went through a few years back.

There's no payback in any ritual, only reinforcement. It may provide temporary relief, although mine often frustrated me even more, but trying not to do them also means exposure to the anxiety. When you start out and know nothing about anxiety you are going to feel that relief and not release it's just pulling you further in. But resisting compulsion is exposure work, so it's going to be hard and seem counterproductive until you have read about how anxiety works.

It's just that stopping yourself can be hard. When you feel the urge to do something out of compulsion you always have choice, it's just you may not feel like you do. Again, taking responsibility for your actions comes into play here, it's just you have to get over initial hurdles in understanding how your behaviours are detrimental.

Moving into severe cases though, it's going to be much harder when your life completely revolves around it. Googling is often not looked at the same, in my opinion, as say the handwasher scrubbing their hands red raw with bleach every day. But why not? I think the answer to this lies more in the audience because I've found that more in forums outside of OCD but that's just my experience so it's anecdotal. But I do believe there are differencers in attitudes between a mixed bunch if HAers with different disorders, therefore different needs, than in more dedicated environments for specific disorders.

---------- Post added at 01:51 ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 ----------

If it always has to be something other than anxiety then why don't we hear about all the non HAera who are ill with something else?

What I meant is that you say it must be something other than anxiety because of the length of time of your symptoms. Yet on the other boards on this forum the rest of us are having the same issues and don't think it's anything other than anxiety and none of us are getting ill with something else.

And what of the long term non HA sufferers? And those who recover after years of symptoms?

To argue it has to be something else means the rest of us can't exist. That's how so many of us know that HAers are looking at it wrong.

You also need to remember that people with health problems without anxxiety don't join places like this. Why would they? Doesn't indicate a problem with anxiety that needs addressing regardless of whether there even is some other illness in play?

swajj
03-10-17, 01:55
You have anxiety Ben. You are extremely unlikely to recover without the help of a mental health professional. Go and see one.

Ben1989
03-10-17, 08:06
I'm in the 'waiting room', so to speak, so hopefully will be soon.

pulisa
03-10-17, 08:26
Good luck, Ben. Take responsibility and take control back.

Thelegend27
06-10-17, 08:06
i take responsibilty for my anxiety, but that doesn't stop me from thinking i may have cancer, heart disease, and a whole list of other stuff.

pulisa
06-10-17, 08:35
Of course it won't stop these thoughts initially but you can take responsibility for how you address your HA and avoid patterns of behaviour which will just perpetuate the cycle.

CleverLittleViper
06-10-17, 13:28
i take responsibilty for my anxiety, but that doesn't stop me from thinking i may have cancer, heart disease, and a whole list of other stuff.

What do you do that leads you to believe that you have any of these diseases?

EKB
06-10-17, 16:31
I don't disagree with the OP, but also know that when in the throes of HA I was convinced I was going to die and there was little room for introspection.

The turning point for me was some validation that I did have some (not health related) issues that I had legitimate reason to have anxiety about, and that even though I had little control over these things, I did have control over how I reacted to them. Then I could start to see the ridiculousness of HA, and now when I'm struggling again I can see it for what it is.

Seeing a therapist or counselor and going through the CCI modules (or equivalent) was so important. It helped me develop that set of tools to get me through the sticky moments. But yeah, to do that I needed to decide that I was responsible for making that change. No one else could do it for me... But it did take some time for me to get out of myself and get to that point.

Fishmanpa
06-10-17, 17:50
"Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we handle it" Charles Swindoll

Positive thoughts

pulisa
06-10-17, 17:54
Really well done for getting to "that point", EKB. It's a significant milestone which is so essential for managing HA and for taking responsibility.