PDA

View Full Version : Fibromyalgia is my new worry

Noworryjonny
02-10-17, 13:20
I'm 27 male so I know already from what docs have told me that puts me out of the ruling for fibro however with my backache and bum pain I can't help think I have fibromyalgia, docs said it's just postural and fibromyalgia isn't even serious it's just a chronic pain condition which many people live with but I can't help worrying I've had MRI full blood count etc why can't I accept it's just anxiety and postural

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elysemarie123
02-10-17, 13:47
I'm 27 male so I know already from what docs have told me that puts me out of the ruling for fibro however with my backache and bum pain I can't help think I have fibromyalgia, docs said it's just postural and fibromyalgia isn't even serious it's just a chronic pain condition which many people live with but I can't help worrying I've had MRI full blood count etc why can't I accept it's just anxiety and postural

I was wondering how you were doing Jonny -- have you been taking anxiety meds or talking with a therapist? What about CBT? What would it take to believe your doctor?

KK77
02-10-17, 14:02
I think your pain and symptoms fit chronic pain due to posture and other factors better than fibro. I have this condition and your symptoms seem too specific. Of course, I can't diagnose and in fact some rheumatologists won't even diagnose fibromyalgia - they prefer to regard it as a global chronic pain syndrome. The treatment is generally the same anyway: meds to control and manage pain.

Noworryjonny
02-10-17, 14:11
Why won't they diagnose fibromyalgia ? I know people with it who live normal lives etc so I don't know why I'm worrying so much but still

KK77
02-10-17, 14:21
Why won't they diagnose fibromyalgia ? I know people with it who live normal lives etc so I don't know why I'm worrying so much but still

The NHS recognises fibromyalgia but it's just a case of semantics I guess. You can live a "normal" life based on your symptoms. There are times when I cannot live a normal life in terms of what I used to be like before fibro.

ServerError
02-10-17, 16:05
Nah, all that's happened is an MRI has ruled out what you were originally worried about, so you've found something else that might fit and you've connected dots that don't actually connect.

You've got two choices: push for a fibromyalgia diagnosis, or keep working on your anxiety and rationalisation. Your choice, I'm afraid.

Noworryjonny
02-10-17, 16:13
I know I've spoken to doc and they said I do not show the signs of fibromyalgia i am just suffering from anxiety and posture related pain

Fishmanpa
02-10-17, 17:06
It might be worth looking into something called quadratus lumborum pain or just QL pain also look up piriformis syndrome and S.I joint pain these 3 are usually the most common cause for lower back pain along with buttock pain as well as other minor symptoms they are also the most frequently overlook causes. All 3 are usually caused by bad posture, overused so just simply sitting around to much.

It might be worth not giving the OP something to continue to fuel his anxiety over what has been diagnosed.

Positive thoughts

ServerError
02-10-17, 17:29
There's a limit to what a health anxiety sufferer can do in terms of "looking into" things. It'll only lead them to find new worries and fears along the way.

I do think Jonny should engage with his GP to start finding ways to tackle the back pain. A real programme designed to improve symptoms would seem like a good idea to me. Perhaps there's a limit to what they can offer at this stage.

Other than that, as always, it's about the anxiety.

Fishmanpa
02-10-17, 17:29
some light stretches and light exercise may alleviate the pain.

Which is the typical treatment for lower back pain and sciatica issues. Most people have back pain at one point or another. I have sciatica and a L4/L5 disc bulge. Treatment is stretching and exercise. Strengthening the muscles around the injury helps prevent pain associated with it. Of course OTC pain meds like ibuprofen can help as well when needed.

Positive thoughts

Noworryjonny
02-10-17, 17:47
It's ok I know I'm being irrational and I'm making such a big fuss about back pain which everybody does suffer now and again btw what's a OP?

Fishmanpa
02-10-17, 17:52
btw what's a OP?

Forum jargon for "Original Poster".

Positive thoughts

KK77
02-10-17, 18:33
i understand my bad sorry if ive come across as untoward especially to the Op and as crippling as anxiety is i wish you a speedy recovery. All the best

Don't think your post was "untoward" at all Saf. I've mentioned QL trigger points before on another of Jonny's (similar) threads. But I don't think that alone will solve things without addressing the primary psychological issues.

And that is up to Jonny.

Noworryjonny
02-10-17, 18:54
Thanks guys, I appreciate everyone's comments I know my biggest problem is mentally, and the doc said mentally I'm causing more pain to myself, my underlying issue is posture but my anxiety is creating a bigger issue with my pain

pulisa
02-10-17, 19:28
Thanks guys, I appreciate everyone's comments I know my biggest problem is mentally, and the doc said mentally I'm causing more pain to myself, my underlying issue is posture but my anxiety is creating a bigger issue with my pain

Always keep this great insight in your thoughts, Jonny, especially when the HA doubts start to creep in?

Leah88
03-10-17, 00:24
Fibromyalgia just means muscle pain. Fibro ( muscle). Myalgia (pain) there's no validated scientific test for it. It's a name put to unexplained pain in the body.