PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol, Anxiety, and Physical Symptoms

ThoughtRot
02-10-17, 18:55
Hi y'all, just wanted to stop in and share my recent experiences with alcohol and see if anyone else has the same issues.

I'm 23, have had anxiety since I was little, have been drinking since I was 17 or so I'd say. I don't think I'm a heavy drinker, I usually just drink on the weekends and at parties with friends like any 20 something will do. No blacking out or passing out or anything like that though. Also, I do not take drugs, legal or otherwise.

In the past year or so, I've noticed that sometimes when I have 3 to 4 drinks in an evening, I wake up at dawn with an increased heart rate, shortness of breath, and tightness in my chest/abdomen that I now associate with panic attacks. Eventually it settles down, but then I experience a terrible feeling of dread all day long. I could understand if I was very drunk why this would happen, but for a reasonable amount of alcohol this is strange to me.

Has anyone else experienced this? It doesn't happen all of the time, but the couple of times it has happened have been really unnerving.