PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for anxiety after a workout?

EKB
03-10-17, 21:51
I grapple with HA, and have gone through the CCI modules with a Social Worker, and have pretty much got it figured out with respect to what I can do to alleviate episodes.

Something that's proving a little sticky is working out - specifically after doing cardio. I've been gradually ramping up my exercise routine - my goal is to hit the recommended 150 minutes of moderate physical activity. I've started a cardio class which is 45 minutes of "intervals" - short bursts of cardio interspersed with toning exercises. It's a lunch hour class, and there's lots of sweat involved. I make sure I drink lots of water.

Afterword, I feel like I have a hard time cooling down, and I feel panicky. I use all the tricks I've been taught - tactical breathing, postponing worry, challenging unhelpful thoughts and assumptions. I even do a quick SOS meditation in Headspace. But it takes me awhile to come down - and since I'm working I want to feel normal faster so I don't lose productivity.

My hope is that if I stick with it, each time will get better. But I'm wondering if anyone out there has grappled with a similar issue, and if you found any tricks to getting through it. I'm wondering if I should eat a bit better prior as well... I generally take a spoonful of peanut butter before I work out so I don't wind up with reflux... but maybe I need something more?

Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful! I'm determined to keep going, but if I could get a boost that would be grand.

sportboy
03-10-17, 22:03
I do powerlifting and I have the same issue. That's why I try to do my workouts late in the evening. This is the only advice I can tell.

scaredpt
04-10-17, 00:26
Does your gym have a sauna or steamroom? can you take a bath?

I find all these things SOO calming (I do a steamroom at the gym even when I don't workout, haha!)

Also, a hot bath with music or a podcast has been really helpful to me lately.

LF87
04-10-17, 12:16
I do high intensity intervals too and they freak me out a bit, especially the ones when you're dropping to the floor and straight back up again (hello purple face). But I just try to keep reminding myself we are doing things that make us feel hot and bothered afterwards for a while and our responses are not different to anyone else, we just focus too much. Might sound daft but I have a fan that I sit infront of to help cool me down and a good cold splash of water to the face. Could you take one you work? Sounds obvious but when I need to cool down quick that's the best way. Also try some stretches to gradually bring your HR down, don't just jump straight in your car if you can avoid it. Most of all don't stress about being hot and bothered, it's normal to take a while after such an intense workout! X

EKB
04-10-17, 16:15
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. LF87 - I could bring a little fan to work, or I could try and take more time outside so I cool down before I get in the office. If I had started this in the summer, I would have been able to cool off in the lake that's near my work. But it's a bit too chilly for that now ;)

I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to. It makes me feel a bit better about things - purple face and all. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thestruggle
05-10-17, 12:08
Do you feel shaky after your workout? Perhaps you aren't eating enough beforehand... the thing with interval training, especially if quite high intensity or cardio-based, is that your heart rate is going to shoot up, then drop, then shoot up again.. I would agree with what LF87 says and try to take more time to chill after the workout class. Either go and do some light stretching, or some very low intensity cardio on a machine just to bring your HR down naturally. Also don't leave it longer than 30-60 minutes to get something to eat afterwards. If you can't stomach proper food, at least a decent snack or protein shake. Did you ever figure out what was making you feel so panicky afterwards? :)

budgie1979
05-10-17, 16:50
So, I am a runner (have a half marathon this weekend, actually) and maybe I can help a bit with this. When you say you feel "panicky" what exactly are the sensations you are feeling? Exercise, especially HIIT, releases a lot of adrenaline, which is essentially the same thing your body is doing when you are highly anxious. Basically, it's supposed to feel that way. I think when people who suffer from anxiety take on exercise, it can be very challenging to come around to the idea that this is not a panic attack, this is just your body doing what it's designed to do. Also, this is why "they" say not to work out too close to bedtime--it definitely does take a few hours for your body to come down from the adrenaline rush.

I know many people find HIIT fun, but if you're really bothered, maybe consider backing off from that and just doing some basic cardio (bike, running, rowing) where you control the effort level. You can still get a good cardiovascular workout without pushing into the high intensity range. Once you are comfortable with that, you can ease into adding a few high intensity intervals in the middle of your workout. If you still want to stick with the class, try to do a proper cool down afterward. If you are in a gym with cardio equipment, hop on a bike or treadmill and just ride slow/walk for about 15 minutes. Otherwise you can just take a brisk walk outside.

As for the eating--for something like the class you are describing, I'd definitely try to eat a little something beforehand. Can you add a banana or a piece of toast to the peanut butter? You don't want to eat a big meal, just probably around 200-400 calories, mostly carbs. Stay away from anything with a lot of fiber, because those can cause stomach upset when you work out. Also make sure you are getting some recovery calories soon after your workouts (within 20 minutes is ideal) with about a 4:1 carbs to protein ratio. Even if you don't feel like eating, drinking something like chocolate milk will help a lot.

Once you get used to it, trust me you will start to crave that post-workout feeling and you will probably find that you are more energetic and productive at work for a few hours afterward.