PDA

View Full Version : Meds or no meds

danny_pop
05-10-17, 08:36
Hi. I’m a 39 year old male and until 3 years ago I had never suffered from anxiety. I have always been very sporty and confident, enjoy presenting to large groups etc. And then i has a wobble. It all started after my second kid was very ill when she was only 4 weeks old. She was admitted to hospital where she stayed for 4 days on IV antibiotics and antivirals. Had to have lumbar puncture as well. The whole thing was awfully stresssful. Fortunately she was ok and is great now. me not so much. Since that event I started getting weird symptoms. Stomach churning, feeling unsteady and nauseous. I had myself checked and all tests came back clear. Months later I was finally diagnosed with GAD. Tried some herbals plus a bit of CBT and managed to patch things up. Been mostly ok for the last 2 years with occasional flare ups which last a few weeks. Now I’ve noticed I’m engaging in safety behaviours- always sitting in the same area of the train, avoiding social situations when I can, being stressed about going out and eating out which has never been an issue before. I’m at the point now where I am thinking I should just ask GP for antidepressant. I guess I’m still wondering if I can beat this without meds. What do you think?

ana
05-10-17, 09:02
I've tried being off medication, but personally, it's just never worked for me. Although I'd prefer not to take medication, I realise that sometimes medication is necessary, not as a cure, but as an aid to assist you in regaining some control and functionality over your life. A lot of the anti-depressants available have very few side-effects and are safe to use long-term, so I see no harm in consulting with the doctor and having them explain to you the benefits of being on medication vs. being without medication.

There is no miracle cure and medication isn't going to erase all your anxieties, but it will and can give you a confidence boost by making you feel a little better, and thus stronger to tackle the issue on your own. :)

Darksky
06-10-17, 23:13
I have never had meds to take everyday. I have emergency diazepam but I am so careful with them a couple of strips can last me 5 years lol.
Most of the time I just cope with it, sometimes easier than others it has to be said.
I had 6 months of Quiet Life once and I never expected much from them but looking back they took me through a very stressful change in my life...moving house, buying a business..
Some people take meds, some dont. We have to do whatever we can to take our little boats across this stormy sea.

pulisa
07-10-17, 08:15
I have never had meds to take everyday. I have emergency diazepam but I am so careful with them a couple of strips can last me 5 years lol.
Most of the time I just cope with it, sometimes easier than others it has to be said.
I had 6 months of Quiet Life once and I never expected much from them but looking back they took me through a very stressful change in my life...moving house, buying a business..
Some people take meds, some dont. We have to do whatever we can to take our little boats across this stormy sea.

Very true.

Chick100
07-10-17, 09:23
Hi Danny pop.

I´m all for meds in conjunction with self help and counseling, but each to their own and you can only do what you feel is best. My thought has always been that I would think nothing of taking an aspirin for a headache, so if a little pill per day helps me enjoy life without anxiety, just take the pill!

I can recommend 2 things that have helped me a lot over the years and still do. The first being " Self help for your nerves" written by Dr Claire Weekes. And the second, a relaxation exercise CD given to me by a psychologist. I still need medication, but a 3 pronged approach helps me get on a more even keel quicker.

Whatever you decide, I hope you feel a lot better soon. :)

braindead
07-10-17, 10:11
mabye you can beat it only you knows that , but my sister has just had her first med an 76 so never say never:wacko:

I Don't Get it!
07-10-17, 13:25
Hello dannypop :0)

I did try medication, but it wasn't for me. Side effects were horrendous - I don't want to go into them here in case they trigger somebody, but I've never felt so wretched and desperate in my life as I did on those drugs.

It sounds to me (IMHO - not an expert!) that you could really benefit from self help and maybe a bit of counselling. If you never had Anxiety until your traumatic experience with your Daughter, then it seems to me you've just got into a self-perpetuating loop of worry, fear and anxiety. Worry, Fear and Anxiety all feed each other and unless we learn how to control them they'll get worse and worse. As already posted, Claire Weekes is good.

Just my own experience, but self-hypnosis and relaxation/visualisation, meditation and good self help books that taught me how my mind and brain work did me much more good than any drugs. Look into Neural Plasticity.

This web site has good information about the workings of the brain and trauma (it's for professionals mostly, but tons of the info here is very accessible to everyone).
https://www.nicabm.com/

Again, jmho, but I'd advise you to learn everything you can about this condition before deciding on whether to take drugs or not.

It certainly can be done without drugs. But maybe not everybody can do it - it takes work and learning and effort. And time.

Btw, I'm all for taking an aspirin when necessary - but drugs for Anxiety and/or Depression are very powerful indeed - aspirins they ain't!

braindead
07-10-17, 17:06

I did try medication, but it wasn't for me. Side effects were horrendous - I don't want to go into them here in case they trigger somebody, but I've never felt so wretched and desperate in my life as I did on those drugs.

It sounds to me (IMHO - not an expert!) that you could really benefit from self help and maybe a bit of counselling. If you never had Anxiety until your traumatic experience with your Daughter, then it seems to me you've just got into a self-perpetuating loop of worry, fear and anxiety. Worry, Fear and Anxiety all feed each other and unless we learn how to control them they'll get worse and worse. As already posted, Claire Weekes is good.

Just my own experience, but self-hypnosis and relaxation/visualisation, meditation and good self help books that taught me how my mind and brain work did me much more good than any drugs. Look into Neural Plasticity.

This web site has good information about the workings of the brain and trauma (it's for professionals mostly, but tons of the info here is very accessible to everyone).

Again, jmho, but I'd advise you to learn everything you can about this condition before deciding on whether to take drugs or not.

It certainly can be done without drugs. But maybe not everybody can do it - it takes work and learning and effort. And time.

Btw, I'm all for taking an aspirin when necessary - but drugs for Anxiety and/or Depression are very powerful indeed - aspirins they ain't!

I would like in your own words to tell the forum members how you teach a damaged acute depressed brain self-hypnosis and meditation when you cannot even read a newspaper because your brain is nuked. Without meds in these situations acute anxiety, how do you read through a veil of fog ,:wacko::wacko::wacko:

I Don't Get it!
07-10-17, 17:20
I would like in your own words to tell the forum members how you teach a damaged acute depressed brain self-hypnosis and meditation when you cannot even read a newspaper because your brain is nuked. Without meds in these situations acute anxiety, how do you read through a veil of fog ,:wacko::wacko::wacko:

With all due respect to you, braindead, the OP doesn't sound like he's a "damaged acute depressed brain" or incapable of reading a newspaper. He was not Anxious at all until the trauma of his Daughter's medical emergency.

I agree that for those with a condition as serious as you're describing, self help alone isn't going to cut it. However, I was replying to the OP - his level of Anxiety sounds similar to mine before I learned to relax. I can only say what worked for me. Learning to relax did. Drugs didn't.

Most people with Anxiety could benefit from learning to meditate and relax in my opinion, but what would work for someone whose "brain is nuked" is beyond my limited experience and knowledge, I'm afraid.

braindead
07-10-17, 17:22
With all due respect to you, braindead, the OP doesn't sound like he's a "damaged acute depressed brain" or incapable of reading a newspaper. He was not Anxious at all until the trauma of his Daughter's medical emergency.

I agree that for those with a condition as serious as you're describing, self help alone isn't going to cut it. However, I was replying to the OP - his level of Anxiety sounds similar to mine before I learned to relax. I can only say what worked for me. Learning to relax did. Drugs didn't.

Most people with Anxiety could benefit from learning to meditate and relax in my opinion, but what would work for someone whose "brain is nuked" is beyond my limited experience and knowledge, I'm afraid.
highly addictive BENZOS:wacko:

pulisa
07-10-17, 18:04
Brian, your diagnosis is different to the OP's and needs very careful management and monitoring of your meds. You can't just write off some very helpful suggestions re general anxiety management because your needs are more complex?

braindead
07-10-17, 18:08
Brian, your diagnosis is different to the OP's and needs very careful management and monitoring of your meds. You can't just write off some very helpful suggestions re general anxiety management because your needs are more complex?
VERY TRUE SORRY i am on a downer i will back off :wacko::wacko::wacko:

pulisa
07-10-17, 18:11
I understand, Brian. I've been there with the hospitalised level.

ivanmiller
07-10-17, 21:19
Maybe the illness of your child caused other problems that make you worry in excess? Debts would be an example. Yeah, you can definitely overcome anxiety without meds. You can learn techniques and behaviors to help you with that. In fact, David D Burns explains in When Panic attacks that the effect of antianxiety medications is mostly a placebo. Because anxiety is caused by stress, if you have faith in a medication, taking it will naturally make you feel more tranquil. If you’re afraid of the side effects of this medication, your stress levels will go up and you’ll start to feel worse.

Chick100
08-10-17, 07:11

Hi I don´t get it.
My reference to Aspirin is just my analogy. Of course they are totally different from powerful anxiety/ depression drugs, but I still stand by what I said. Not having a go, just saying :whistles:

Juggar
09-10-17, 08:21
VERY TRUE SORRY i am on a downer i will back off :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Don’t beat yourself up, we’re all just looking for help I suppose.