PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and the gym

Worrywart1234
05-10-17, 09:36
For the first time in 4 years I'm pain free and joined a gym to try and get healthier and stronger now that I'm feeling better. Well, yesterday I went to the gym and they put me on this body scanning machine to check my body composition (which I didn't feel great about to begin with). The results showed I have a high amount of fat in my body and a low amount of muscle - I did tell them I haven't been able to lift more than a litre of milk without pain in the last four years. But she said I am at high risk of diabetes and all that stuff. My mother in law has told me at least a dozen times since she found out I joined a gym that I have put on so much weight etc etc....
Because of this I have started worrying my fat is going to kill me.
I did my first hour class of strengthening activities for abdominals and back yesterday, which i absolutely loved - but today my stomach muscles are sore and I am worried that my tumour is getting bigger. I keep telling myself it's just sore muscles - but then I worry it's the tumour getting bigger which is making a different part of my stomach sore.
I do realise I probably sound a bit crazy, but I am in some sort of tizzy at the moment and just don't know how to get myself out of it. Generally I can't bear to look at or touch my stomach at all, and the soreness I'm feeling today has really got me going.
I would love some words of wisdom...

thestruggle
05-10-17, 11:53
What you probably have is called DOMS or delayed onset muscle soreness... if you've done an abdominals class and you're not used to it, you will be feeling it in your abs the day after :) the pain should go within a day or two! The good thing about the abs is they can be trained frequently and recover quickly just because they get a lot of use without you realising due to having to keep you upright and stable all the time. Just be careful you don't overdo it and work up to things slowly.. make your class instructor aware you are a beginner so they can modify things for you if need be :D I have had sore abs before after a particularly ab-focused class in the past and I hurt a lot the day after, but as I kept up with the classes, the soreness stopped..