PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of concussion

Lc555
06-10-17, 18:21
Hello All,

Sorry to be a pain but on monday night i kinda lost it and got angry with myself and because of an argument i ended up hitting myself in the head few times out of sheer frustration. I hit myself in the temple area. I feel like a total fool so please dont judge.

Im now freaking out i have given myself a concussion. I always fesr damaging my brain and my wife is convinced its anxiety. But i feel deatched and brain fog which i have had befofe.

I just dont want to be damaged from this. I have a headache and some pain in the spots i hit but its not even bad enough to warrent pills.

Please if anyone has expirence in the above i would love to know.

I recently started a 2 hour each way commute for the last 7 weeks and im 100% out of steam.

Am i injured.

Sorry for the trouble.

Matt

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Just wanted to add that i read up online about post concusion syndrome and that it can be forever. Thats really pushing me over the edge

Lc555
07-10-17, 08:32
Sorry to bump this but im still scared. Not sure what to do.

EKB
07-10-17, 09:45
It's doubtful you have a concussion. My sister got a concussion from a car accident, and she has post concussion syndrome. Both were far more aggressive in their symptoms than what you describe.

Perhaps instead of googling about post concussion syndrome you should Google anxiety symptoms and some management techniques. If you're truly afraid you have a concussion you should see a doctor but in the meantime you might feel better if you address the anxiety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lc555
07-10-17, 10:37
Thanks for the reply. Guess im going to have a nice and chilled weekend and try to calm down on it all.

Feel mentally drained.

EKB
07-10-17, 13:26
Good plan. Anxiety takes up more than its fair share of your brain's resources, so it's normal to feel mentally drained. Your brain (and by extension your mind) is an organ... So look at this as recuperating just like if you sprained and ankle.

Lc555
08-10-17, 10:14
I still gant over this.

Im going to the doctors tomorrow as im freaking out.

I feel like im in some kind of dream.

My wife is convinced this is all anxiety. Im going to the doctors tomorrow to get checked out.

If anyone has had experience with hitting their head and no concussion please please help me.

EKB
08-10-17, 13:19
*raises hand* I've whacked my noggin off two fireplace mantles, the stairs, fell off a swing... Who knows how many other things. And I've never had a concussion.

That said, anyone who tells you not to go to the doc is giving you bad advice. If you truly think that you hit yourself in the head hard enough to give yourself a concussion than yes you should get checked out.

But try and prepare yourself for both outcomes. If you do have a concussion then you will be going through the treatment process for that. Pretty clear path there.

If you don't have a concussion, and it is anxiety, can you accept it and start the process of treating that?

Either way, best of luck. I hope that whatever is plaguing you resolves. Both outcomes suck, but are manageable with treatment, time, and patience.

Be kind to yourself.