PDA

View Full Version : HA back after losing baby :( Worrying about Acid Reflux :(

snowflake293
07-10-17, 13:57
Hi

I haven't posted here for a long time, over a year in fact! A lot has happened, I got married which was lovely but I also sadly suffered a miscarriage :( since I lost my baby my health anxiety has gotten worse so here I am again. Losing the baby has completely messed with my head. I was 9 weeks gone and found out during a scan, no heartbeat, had to have a d&c a few days after. Was just horrible. Too scared to try again now :( hoping that changes.

I have suffered acid reflux for many years (10 years plus, I am 33 now so must have started Omeprazole in my early twenties)

Anyway sometimes it flares up, even though I am taking my Omeprazole I still have to end up taking Gaviscon. I mentioned it to my GP yesterday and he didn't seem concerned at all, he said that stress could be making it worse (I am suffering with depression) but I have consulted the dreaded Dr Google...

I am now freaking out that because I have had acid reflux from a young age I am a prime candidate for Barretts Esophagus! I am worrying about it. I have never had a camera down, and I am so scared that if I go back to the doctors that is what they will suggest! I am convinced that if they put the camera down they will find something. So frightened :(

So annoyed that my health anxiety is back. I had done so well until I sadly lost my baby. I am back on a waiting list for CBT and have ordered an Overcoming Health Anxiety book.

I came off Sertraline a few months ago as well which probably isn't helping matters. Dr wants me to go back on it but I definitely dont want meds anymore.

Charlie1108
07-10-17, 15:36
Mine always flares after pregnancy due to the hormonal shifts. First suffered with it after the birth of my son 6 and a half years ago. After a miscarriage it was bad and after a still birth too. Now going through it after having my daughter. Hormones do a number on us, especially when you have grief added to the mix. Medication worked for me but I'm trying to do it without myself at the moment. You'll get through it x

EKB
07-10-17, 17:50
Try not to worry about Barrett's Esophagus. So many bad health info sites equate it to cancer, but one doesn't automatically lead to the other. Neither does acid reflux automatically lead to BE.

Have you considered also joining a pregnancy/neonatal loss group? I am aware of one or two mothers who have been through that trauma at various stages and found it very helpful.

Be kind to yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PanickyGuy
07-10-17, 17:53
I am now freaking out that because I have had acid reflux from a young age I am a prime candidate for Barretts Esophagus! I am worrying about it. I have never had a camera down, and I am so scared that if I go back to the doctors that is what they will suggest! I am convinced that if they put the camera down they will find something. So frightened :(

I know how you feel. I had the same worry about getting Barretts Esophagus because of my GERD\acid reflux, when I went to see my doctor about it. And I asked him about that and he said to me; "Well that's why we are putting you on the PPI's, so that won't happen." And basically he went on to explain to me that it's when people that don't take care of it for years, like not taking medication\PPI's to reduce the acid, they increase their chances of eventually getting Barretts Esophagus.

So you'll be alright as long as you are continuing to take care of it by taking your PPI's. I've been taking pantoprazole for nearly 5 years now and I never worried about getting BE since then, when he told me that about 5 years ago. :)

BTW, if I was you, I would look into how PPI's work and you might even have a better understanding that may help you in reducing your fears about getting BE.

Fishmanpa
07-10-17, 17:54
I'm truly sorry to hear of your loss. No doubt it's been a very traumatic experience and you're still reeling from it.

As with many here, added stress will aggravate stomach issues, especially reflux.

Have you gotten any counseling to help deal with the recent events?

Positive thoughts

Murdock
07-10-17, 19:59
Really sorry to hear about your loss. I have acid reflux too but when my anxiety is really bad it flares up too. I was diagnosed at 20 and I’m 30 now so it’s 10 years for me too. I’ve had the camera, (at about 21) and all was fine. The procedure itself is not nearly as bad as people say (incase you do ever have it done). I did it without any sedation and as long as you relax and don’t fight against it, it’s fine. The worst part for me was when they pulled the camera back up and that only lasts a few seconds. If you ever wanna chat feel free to DM me

snowflake293
08-10-17, 16:15
Thanks for all the replies :) I forgot how great this group was (I used to post here a lot!)

I am waiting for an assessment for some counselling to help me come to terms with my loss and deal with my depression/anxiety and I have joined a really helpful online support group.

It is true, the PPIs mean I would be less likely to get BE. I still worry though as even though I am taking them I am still getting heartburn.

I have also gone off the drink lately and I worry it is cause of my GERD :( It is good that I drink less though as it makes me feel so bad when I do drink, really feel low the next day.

Thanks again for all the replies, I am worrying a bit less today xx

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

UPDATE... I just found out that the Tumeric tablets I am taking as a supplement can stop the Omeprazole from working! So that figures! Going to lay off the Tumeric and see if my acid improves. Thanks again xxx

MyNameIsTerry
10-10-17, 02:10
Really sorry to hear about your loss, snowflake. What a terrible thing that must be for you both. :hugs::flowers:

I hope you get the support you need to get through this awful time. Grieving is so personal and time is a great healer. Other women must feel the same about trying again but I would guess, because I can't know, that this is reconciled as you work through your grief and decide where your lives will take you.

Thelegend27
10-10-17, 04:24
I've actually read that barretts rarely causes any serious problems, so even if you did get it, it can be treated, and it still doesn't mean you will have any serious complications.

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

Heres an answer for you i found

"The risk of esophageal cancer in patients with Barrett's esophagus is quite low, approximately 0.5 percent per year (or 1 out of 200). Therefore, the diagnosis of Barrett's esophagus should not be a reason for alarm. It is, however, a reason for periodic endoscopies."

snowflake293
10-10-17, 09:46
Thanks for the replies guys. I am really struggling today, the loss of my baby has triggered my anxiety so badly. When I was pregnant my health anxiety spiked and because my biggest fear at the time (losing the baby) actually HAPPENED I am now worrying that everything else I fear will happen :( I am not worrying about the acid reflux as much now as I have 'hopped' onto worrying about other stuff (see my new post lol) I feel ridiculous and I CAN see the funny side of it, but I am so gutted I am back in the grips of health anxiety after being free for a year. Thank you for all the kind words, it is good to know I have this support here.

Blonde123
10-10-17, 10:17
Hi Snowflake. Just wanted to send big hugs. The loss of a baby is so hard and tragic. I can see why your HA would be top notch at the minute. Take some time out to relax and as others have said try and find a support or help group.

A friend of mine who is in her 30s has Barretts and so do lots of my patients. I really think the cancer chances are low and the two aren't really connected.

take care xx

snowflake293
10-10-17, 10:41
Hi Snowflake. Just wanted to send big hugs. The loss of a baby is so hard and tragic. I can see why your HA would be top notch at the minute. Take some time out to relax and as others have said try and find a support or help group.

A friend of mine who is in her 30s has Barretts and so do lots of my patients. I really think the cancer chances are low and the two aren't really connected.

take care xx

Thanks :) I am so tired of the worrying already and my HA has only recently come back. I am less worried about Barretts now and more worried about my leaking boob :( it just feels like I am hopping from one worry to another... every single pain or sensation is magnified and analysed in my head... blown out of proportion dramatically! I'd say I just need a big g&t but I am scared of liver disease now too so maybe not(!) you have to laugh at these things really :doh::whistles:

Blonde123
10-10-17, 11:18
Aw no. Get a G&T down you. Its just the one!
Your probably leaking because of your pregnancy. All those hormones do wicked things when your least expecting them to! Add in abit of HA for added stress and its just a crazy mess! That's the thing with HA everything gets blown out of proportion and over analysed:doh:. If only I was as good at taking my own advice!!

snowflake293
10-10-17, 11:42
Aw no. Get a G&T down you. Its just the one!
Your probably leaking because of your pregnancy. All those hormones do wicked things when your least expecting them to! Add in abit of HA for added stress and its just a crazy mess! That's the thing with HA everything gets blown out of proportion and over analysed:doh:. If only I was as good at taking my own advice!!

Thanks :) It is coming out of one boob much more than the other... I tell you what though, I am my own worse enemy cause I have squeezed said boob so much it is sore... this is probably why it is leaking!

I am not sure if it is hormones because I lost the baby back in June and I was 9 weeks. Who knows though? I am going to do my best to kick my health anxiety's butt... got my book at home that I ordered last week (Overcoming Health Anxiety) so going to have a good read of that.

I am the same, I am great at dishing out the advice as a seasoned, health anxiety veteran... but I am not so good at silencing my own worries! :doh:

DonnaT
10-10-17, 22:50
Hi, thus sounded like me a few years ago. I started to get bad reflux and then my mind started to play tricks on me. I started to get loads of other symptoms they were the same as what I'd googled. I even got a lump feeling in my throat which I'd never had before. I got so frightened one night I remember crying and screaming down the phone to my husband to come home. I went to my consultant the next day and begged him and I mean begged him to do a camera test that day. We had it done and it was a hiatus hernia which are very common and bad reflux. Lots of things aggravates mine. Coffee that's a big no no, chocolate, cold water(oddly) STRESS can definitely make it worse I promise you that.

snowflake293
11-10-17, 11:58
Hi, thus sounded like me a few years ago. I started to get bad reflux and then my mind started to play tricks on me. I started to get loads of other symptoms they were the same as what I'd googled. I even got a lump feeling in my throat which I'd never had before. I got so frightened one night I remember crying and screaming down the phone to my husband to come home. I went to my consultant the next day and begged him and I mean begged him to do a camera test that day. We had it done and it was a hiatus hernia which are very common and bad reflux. Lots of things aggravates mine. Coffee that's a big no no, chocolate, cold water(oddly) STRESS can definitely make it worse I promise you that.

I think it might have been the Turmeric supplements stopping my Omeprazole tablets working, I have stopped the Turmeric now and my heartburn has stopped. Coffee and chocolate can set me off too, and alcohol and anything with butter in can do it as well.

You poor thing it sounds like you have really suffered with you health anxiety. I am much better than I was, at my worse I remember having a full blown panic attack in my GP surgery over a mole on my bottom that I was convinced was skin cancer. It was terrible, they had to put me in a side room to calm down(!)

budgie1979
11-10-17, 17:25
I think it might have been the Turmeric supplements stopping my Omeprazole tablets working, I have stopped the Turmeric now and my heartburn has stopped.

Ooh...turmeric. I had horrible reflux over the weekend after getting one of those turmeric drinks from the health food store (hey, it said "aids digestion" on the label:shrug:). I should know by now that if it burns going down I should just stop eating/drinking it immediately, but I had no idea it can actually interfere with PPIs. :wacko: It certainly didn't help that I was taking a bunch of ibuprofen last week because of bad headaches. I'm on "damage control" now and eating very bland food and taking my Omeprazole and Tums hoping things get back to "normal" soon. I'm a bit irritated at my gastroenterologist, too, for telling me to stop the Omeprazole and "see if the reflux comes back". Of course it did, and my ENT told me last week to go right back on the pills because she can see in my throat that the reflux is "moderately severe". I'm back at the gastro the end of this month, and will likely be sent for an endoscopy.

Glad you're feeling a bit better.