PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety has gone crazy

Earthmum
07-10-17, 14:47
I posted a while back about my iron being low and been give prescription iron tablets but they gave me terrible insomnia so the doc said I could take normal over the counter Solgar gentle iron 20 mg supplements :huh:but to take two tablets together in the mornings so it equals 40 mg
As I absolutly hate taking any kind of medication I have gotten my self in such a state taking these ( I know , simple supplements hey!)
I'm on my 5th day and I feel itchy and tired and as if nothing feels real , I have not been this bad in years and I know taking the meds have started this, but I'm now thinking what if it's an allergic reaction to the supplement and not just stress which in turn is making me freak out even more :(
Has anyone taken this brand before?
Can you even have a reaction to iron supps?
Thank you in advance..:weep:

cattia
07-10-17, 15:00
Hi, 40mg is a really low dose, I would say it's almost definitely your anxiety that is doing this to you. I had slightly low ferritin when I had bloods in the summer and I take 210mg twice a day. The normal dose for low iron is 210mg three times daily. If your iron is low you probably bed a higher dose.

Earthmum
07-10-17, 15:08
Thanks for your reply it does seem like it's my anxiety playing up I know , but I can't think straight when I work myself up!!!
as I'm not doing too well on the higher doses doc said to try these out , I'm aware it will take longer for levels to go up but I'm on the low end of normal , so not anaemic, maybe that's why he agreed for me to take these instead maybe!
:huh:

cattia
07-10-17, 15:25
Yes if you're not actually anaemic those will be fine. I don't know where you're based but spatone sachets contain liquid iron distilled in water and they are really gentle on the stomach so they could maybe help too. I am the same about taking medication so I totally understand your anxiety.

Earthmum
07-10-17, 15:36
Hi I live in Cyprus and yes we have that here too, I will get my iron tested in a couple of months to see if it's going up then happy days but if it's still the same or at lower levels then I may need to try the liqued (Spartone)
It's an awful phobia for me taking even a paracetamol is the end of the world.. to top it off the doc has also prescribed me b12 b6 b3 tabs to take alongside the iron , but I can just about take a basic supplement let alone them too :(
My hubby thinks I'm being silly and says I will be fine,and should just take whatever has been prescribed to me ,
Hahaha " i wish it was that bloody easy" :blush: