PDA

View Full Version : worried about grandmother

smoothie
07-10-17, 17:32
Hi everyone

My health anxiety seems to have gone away a lot. But now im worried again. I visited my granny today and she told me shes been in hospital with atrial fibrillation. Her heart beat was up to 140! Even 160 at one point! Other than chest pains and fatigue I think shes fine. She was put on an anticoagulant (not warfarin) and beta blockers but was taken off as shes allergic to a lot of medications and had a reaction to the beta blockers. She was in the hospital all day at one point and got all the xrays and EK(C?)Gs done. She's now been put on an old fashioned but reliable medication that I cant remember the name of... it begins with a D. Digoxin? Shes in her late 70s and my grampas in his early 80s and has developed mobilty problems and relies on my granny to care for him. Will she be ok? The nhs website says its not life threatening...

Im 18 and ive never experienced death before. Only in past pets. Maybe that contributes to my anxiety. :weep:

Murdock
07-10-17, 20:19
Hey, I’ve experienced this with my own grandma. She’s 83 and a total trooper who says she’s living till 106! She’s still really healthy but a couple of years ago she started to slow down a little. She has to use inhalers for her breathing from years of working in dusty factories. Seeing her getting out of breath really easily frightened me too, but in all honesty she’s OK. Sure she can’t be as active as she used to but she’s still really independent and manages her condition really well. So here’s to another 23 birthdays with her at least :)

budgie1979
10-10-17, 22:29
I'm sorry your granny has been unwell, but it sounds like the doctors are taking good care of her and doing what they need to to get her feeling better. My own grandmother has been on blood thinners for 20+ years now, and she's 92 now and still going strong. She obviously has had to be watched carefully by her doctors and sometimes needs to go in hospital overnight for an adjustment to her meds, but people can and do live a long time with heart problems if they manage them properly. Best wishes to you and your granny.