PDA

View Full Version : Lipoma? How do you know?

Leslie735
09-10-17, 22:59
About a month ago I was shaving my legs in the shower when I noticed a lump in my calf muscle, I could see it sticking out. I investigated further and found a 2nd one below it, although its much smaller. The first one is about the size of a ping pong ball and the other one is about the size of a marble. I can see them in certain lighting or if I flex my calf muscle or prop of leg up. When I rub my hand across them they feel soft like an area of thick fat. I read about lipomas but read they have borders and are easily moved. I can't tell if these have borders or if they move. I can see that they are round though. I also read about liposarcomas and I'm terrified thats what these are. :scared15: I'm seeing my primary doctor on Friday (already scheduled physical) and plan to mention it. I'm so scared! :huh::shrug::scared15:

Leslie735
10-10-17, 13:27
Nobody? :(

NancyW
10-10-17, 13:53
Years ago I found a lump on my rib I was scared to death I stopped in at an Urgent Care, the doctor there told me this was nothing to worry about leave it alone. That wasn't good enough for me so I went to my GP and she told me this is a lipoma nothing to worry about. That still wasn't good enough for me so I convinced her to take it out so I could have peace of mind. In the end guess what it was? A lipoma

Leslie735
10-10-17, 13:59
Years ago I found a lump on my rib I was scared to death I stopped in at an Urgent Care, the doctor there told me this was nothing to worry about leave it alone. That wasn't good enough for me so I went to my GP and she told me this is a lipoma nothing to worry about. That still wasn't good enough for me so I convinced her to take it out so I could have peace of mind. In the end guess what it was? A lipoma

Could you see it or just feel it? I can see mine and that is what is freaking me out! :( I have one on my rib as well but I can only feel it and I can slide it back and forth. These things on my calf, I can't. I'm so freaked out!

NervUs
10-10-17, 15:17
The only thing to do is have them checked by a doctor. I have a soft tissue mass in my toe and had to go through prelim testing for sarcoma, as the mass has concerning features. Mine is hard and not at all soft, but the only way to know what it is is to get it checked out.

I went to an orthopedist, since the first doctor I saw (a podiatrist) improperly excised it and it grew back. THe orthopedist was very conservative about taking out my mass, because in the rare event that it was malignant, taking it out can do more harm than good. He recommended me for imaging (mri), and the recommendation based on that was do nothing more.

Imaging can show whether something is a lipoma or not, so maybe you should see a doctor and see if there is value in imaging your bumps?

Cancer in the soft tissue is rare, so your bumps are very likely to be benign. I would think having two bumps is also in your favor. The only way to know, though, is to see someone.

Leslie735
10-10-17, 15:22
The only thing to do is have them checked by a doctor. I have a soft tissue mass in my toe and had to go through prelim testing for sarcoma, as the mass has concerning features. Mine is hard and not at all soft, but the only way to know what it is is to get it checked out.

I went to an orthopedist, since the first doctor I saw (a podiatrist) improperly excised it and it grew back. THe orthopedist was very conservative about taking out my mass, because in the rare event that it was malignant, taking it out can do more harm than good. He recommended me for imaging (mri), and the recommendation based on that was do nothing more.

Imaging can show whether something is a lipoma or not, so maybe you should see a doctor and see if there is value in imaging your bumps?

Cancer in the soft tissue is rare, so your bumps are very likely to be benign. I would think having two bumps is also in your favor. The only way to know, though, is to see someone.

Thank you I appreciate your reply. I am seeing my Dr. on Friday but I was hoping for a little reassurance while I wait. I also have a hard lump in my foot, right underneath my ankle. It feels like bone its so hard. Dr. told me about 18 months ago its just from an old injury and caused an overgrowth.

nhelen79
12-10-17, 23:24
I can related. last year i had a swollen area on my shin that by inspection, Dr thought it is a lipoma. Went through lowest point of my life dealing with anxiety on that. Wrote my death will too. Xray, ultrasound, MRI and results were 'non-specific'. then i decided to remove and biopsy against doctor's advices. result still non-specific but clear for tumor. So it went down after that, and I'm still afraid checking it one year later without symptoms.

My point is that if MRI shows no concerns on the area, trust them and your doctor's advise. It's hard but the case of it being something bad is SUPER rare.

swgrl09
12-10-17, 23:26
My husband has a lot of lipomas. Some are visible, some can be easily moved and some can't (basically based on where they are located). His doctor checked them all and knew just by touch that they were all lipomas, even though some were stuck in place. I'm sure your doctor will be able to tell you if it is that pretty quickly.

bin tenn
13-10-17, 01:50
As swgrl said, how mobile they are depends on the location. I have several lipomas as well, and some are very mobile, while others are almost entirely immobile. Some of them seem to "hurt" from time to time, but most do not. They can cause pain depending on location as well.

Leslie735
13-10-17, 01:53
Thank you all for your kind reply so they were very reassuring. I see my Dr tomorrow and I'm very nervous.

bin tenn
13-10-17, 13:36
Thank you all for your kind reply so they were very reassuring. I see my Dr tomorrow and I'm very nervous.

I know it's difficult to stay calm, but do try to. It will be fine. I was about nervous when I asked my doc about mine for the first time. He felt of one of the larger/visible ones and asked "is it growing, hurting, etc?" I said "no" and he said "okay, you're fine."

Leslie735
13-10-17, 22:32
I know it's difficult to stay calm, but do try to. It will be fine. I was about nervous when I asked my doc about mine for the first time. He felt of one of the larger/visible ones and asked "is it growing, hurting, etc?" I said "no" and he said "okay, you're fine."

That's EXACTLY what happened at my appointment. She said she thinks it's just extra fatty tissue. She didn't say it was a lipoma or not. She said it's fine unless it grows or becomes red or painful. Phew!:yesyes:

swgrl09
14-10-17, 00:33
Oh good to hear! Lipomas are just fatty growths so that makes sense. Hope you are feeling a little better about it!