PDA

View Full Version : Endocrinologist

jonny93
10-10-17, 19:37
Hi everyone!

Been a while since I posted here! Funny how HA can lay dormant then creep back up on you.

Basically, since being about 13 I had a condition called gynecomastia (man boobs) which is common and I was told this would gradually go away. Now I'm 24 it persisted and was referred for surgery. Before surgery they ran some hormone tests and found my Estrogen level was 288 (upper limit is 150) however they said in context this was only slightly raised.

After being referred to my endocrinologist he has ordered an ultrasound of my testicles and blood tests for testicular cancer as they can secrete estrogen. He did say he does not believe it is anything to be concerned about, and I guess this is just the standard procedure to rule things out.

My worry is that a while ago now (maybe 2 years) I felt a lump on my testicle (actually attached to the testicle, similar size to a BB bullet which has kinda been pushed into the testicle itself). I went to my GP and he examined me and shrugged it off and said he couldn't feel anything to be concerned about. Having HA I was elated and put this down to me being over cautious and I guess if a doctor can't feel anything then clearly there is nothing sinister there.

Now I have been sent for this ultrasound I am absolutely terrified that this lump actually IS something sinister. It hasn't grown since that point and I have no other symptoms. My endocrinologist felt my testicles and did not mention anything to me and I also had a circumcision where they examined me and they report everything to be normal.

After lots of googling the lump itself does fit the cancer bill, however I am confused as to why the doctors haven't felt it? I am desperately trying to be rational but the waiting around for tests and results is driving me insane.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Thank you x

Velociraptor
11-10-17, 07:01
Hi there.

I've been to the doctors maybe 5 times in my life with testicular lump worries. I have convinced myself a few times that I have TC.
Doctors never really seem concerned and sometimes they can't feel anything abnormal at all. The one time they did feel something they thought was abnomral, I was sent for a ultrasound and this came back absolutely fine with no action needed.

The point is, doctors have felt hundreds of testicles in their time practcing medicine, and they are specially trained as to what they should be looking for. You have to put your trust in the doctors, otherwise what is the point in even visiting them?

It sounds to me like they are just doing this ultrasound to cover their backs and just absolutely rule out any chance of TC.

In the end, it's out of your hands now anyway. The doctors are doing the tests and will be keeping an eye on you. Worrying about it isn't going to make any difference at all now is it?

In the VERY unlikely event that they find something sinister, TC is one of the easiest to treat, and has a very high survival rate.

Keep yourself distracted, trust your doctors and live your life.

I'm looking forward to your follow up post where you tell us all that you were worrying over nothing and that you are now fine.

You got this :)