PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks - ALS, PD, etc.

Nikolai
11-10-17, 03:26
Hi, I'm Nikolai, and I'm new here.

Been struggling with daily panic attacks for about three months now. I've had anxiety for a long time but it's really spiked. About three months ago I had to move, had job troubles, ended a long relationship, -- my life basically upended.

I've been getting "weakness" in my limbs. Crampy feelings in fingers, calves, ankles. Twitches all over. Weakness comes and goes. I had weakness in my arms today -- or so it felt -- but it's never "real". I can do my workout, pushups, lifts, curls, -- I walk five or six miles a day -- but get up in the morning and start worrying and I get rubbery / jelly-legs again. Utterly freaking out that I have some neuro disease.

Going to the doctor tomorrow and not sure what to tell her. I just feel embarrassed that my anxiety symptoms are taking over my life and making it so hard to function. Can anyone relate?

Oh, and I've had it all before. Long time ago. 1990s. Had most of the same things, plus dizziness, more twitching but less of the crampy things, but otherwise almost the same. And then as now, the symptoms go away when I take a nap, sleep at night, take Valium. And come back when I'm at work and freaking out and worrying. And then the panic attacks start and it feels like the end of the world.

I'm going to ask for a referral to a psychiatrist just to see what the options are. I can't go on like this. Need help.

I just want my life back ...
Nikolai

JamesG_UK
11-10-17, 10:53
Hey Nikolai, I'm experiencing pretty much the same set of symptoms as you. Also, like you, things my life has been extremely stressful of late, but the health anxiety has really taken hold. I'm slowly starting to accept now that these symptoms are all being caused by my anxiety, although my symptoms are there pretty much all day long at the moment. The problem is that I can't stop focusing on them. I've been to the doctor myself and have been prescribed an antidepressant, which I'm hoping will ease my anxiety, and in turn, ease my symptoms.

I was embarrassed about going to the doctors, but I've always found them to be understanding and compassionate when it comes to mental health. We shouldn't feel embarrassed about seeking help for these problems - it's really no different to seeking help for physical problems.

Health anxiety can really take over your life. You're going through a very stressful period at the moment, which is undoubtedly the true cause of your symptoms.

Things will get better in time and I wish you all the best at the doctors.

Let us know how it goes :)

James

Nikolai
13-10-17, 01:55
Thanks James. Yeah, still haven't seen the doctor, and being rescheduled day after day isn't helping the anxiety any. My GP had a family emergency so has taken a couple days off from her practice. For all I know her situation may be much worse than mine, so I forgive her, of course -- but I really just want to get this over with.

So weirdly hard to accept that these physical symptoms -- twitching, cramping, feelings of weakness -- are anxiety. But they are. In my rational moments, like right now, I know they are "just" anxiety -- but when the panics come on, it's like the world is ending.

I really want to get to the bottom of this. It's like a daily beating. And it's sunny and the birds are singing and it's beautiful out -- and your own mind is beating you up.

Nikolai

melfish
13-10-17, 02:07
So weirdly hard to accept that these physical symptoms -- twitching, cramping, feelings of weakness -- are anxiety. But they are. In my rational moments, like right now, I know they are "just" anxiety -- but when the panics come on, it's like the world is ending.

I really want to get to the bottom of this. It's like a daily beating. And it's sunny and the birds are singing and it's beautiful out -- and your own mind is beating you up.

^^This!
You've perfectly captured how I'm feeling with this rotten fear.

Nikolai
14-10-17, 16:35
It is a rotten fear, isn't it?

Got back from the doctor yesterday. She wasn't real interested in my "symptoms" but did express concern about my anxiety, so I appreciated that. She was sympathetic and listened to me.

Another thing I learned (in the morbidly humorous category) is that when a doctor asks you "do you ever have suicidal thoughts?" the correct answer is not "Doesn't everybody?"

She prescribed me Paxil, i.e. paroxetine. I just took the first one. Never had an antidepressant before, so this will be a new experience. I'm told they take a while to do any good. But anything that can stop the daily panic attacks would be wonderful.

Interesting that I have felt fine since getting back from the doctor. Woke this morning without fear. Maybe just getting on the path is part of the cure.

Health and happiness to all. :)
Nikolai

melfish
14-10-17, 18:46
Another thing I learned (in the morbidly humorous category) is that when a doctor asks you "do you ever have suicidal thoughts?" the correct answer is not "Doesn't everybody?"

Ha, yes, wrong answer. It's the law that they need to call the men in white coats if you 'fess up to this one. I learned that too. My doctor kindly gave me the opportunity to "rethink" my answer, lol.

I'm curious to know whether the Paxil ends up helping your HA/anxiety. Let us know :)