PDA

View Full Version : Forced coughing and blood

Ebscharlotte3
11-10-17, 06:22
Hi everyone. My first time posting on here. Think I need some reassurance.

Basically over the weekend I got drunk Friday night and ended up smoking loads of cigarettes! (I am a smoker usually but smoke loads that night.) I'm not a heavy smoker and only 23 and generally healthy. Over the weekend my anxiety got really bad and my chest felt very tight. I know it's anxiety chest pain as I've suffered for over a year. Last night I coughed up a small amount of blood which continued last night and this morning.

Could this just be a result of forceful coughing which I did over the weekend as my chest was tight. As my chest was tight I felt the need to make myself cough even when I didn't really need to. Also coughed some water whilst swimming yesterday with an overambitious dive! I just need reassurance that it's probably a small blood vessel which has popped. I've coughed blood in the past and had a chest x ray last year and it was all fine.

Thank you so much :)

lior
11-10-17, 17:47
Hey, yeah it does sound like a small blood vessel got popped! That's to be expected with that much coughing.

If it doesn't go away in a couple of weeks, or you cough up a LOT of blood, then you could see a doctor.

I've found that it can take me a good couple of weeks to clear my lungs after smoking a lot.

Were you smoking in a self-harm sort of way? Watch out for that. I used to do that. Hopefully this experience is unpleasant enough for you that you won't want to overdo it with smoking ever again :)

SassyEdwards
12-10-17, 12:51
I found that smoking or being around smoke always gave me sinus issues. So when I coughed up blood it was actually just from post nasal drip. My nose had been bleeding and going down my throat. Gross right. I don't smoke anymore. :p