PDA

View Full Version : It’s been a while! Update on progress/small worry

FreakOutQueen
11-10-17, 17:59
Hi everyone,

I have taken some space from this forum as last spring was really bad for me and I felt like sometimes this forum would trigger me and would not be helpful. I started seeing a therapist and taking Lexapro and Klonapin, which has helped tremendously. I went on weight watchers and lost 30 pounds and feel so much better and healthier in my own skin! Overall, I feel amazing. I still have frequent twitching, but have just kind of accepted it as part of my new normal. I do have one worry...no ones perfect, right? Lately I have noticed more of my hair is falling out. I am wondering if there is a correlation between weight loss and hair loss and what others have done to prevent this process. I’m not worried I’m dying, I just love my hair and want to keep it intact! Hope all are well!!!

melfish
11-10-17, 18:25
Not only is there a correlation with weight loss, there's also one with stress. Typically you will notice the shed (telogen effluvium) about three months after the trigger. There's not much to be done about it, apart from waiting it out. New hairs will start to appear in time. Just don't freak out in the meantime. During my worst bout with it in my 20s, a leading old-school dermatologist advised me to massage my scalp back and forth over my skull slowly and to eat jelly beans (seriously, for the gelatin). Biotin is also helpful, and zinc if you're low.