PDA

View Full Version : Dangerously high blood pressure in the 170s! :/

anxietysmymiddlename
12-10-17, 03:45
Hey guys, during a dental cleaning today I had my blood pressure checked.

I have had high blood pressure for a good amount of time and I was stupid and blew it off.

The reading i got today was in the late 170s. I am not to sure about the other number.
The lady was like "you nervous to be here?" And I replied with "yes mam I have very bad anxiety problems" and she proceeded to tell me this was a very high blood pressure and I need to see my physician.

Getting home I look up how high of blood pressure is dangerous in the short term. And it says malignant hypertension is 180 and over. And that it's a medical EMERGENCY. I've been getting headaches and vision disturbances and that is what such high blood pressure does.
I'm determined to make lifestyle changes. I started the second I read that article. But I'm really worried still..
Knowing it's so high and destroying my body.
Am I in immediate danger? We have no medical insurance at the moment so we can't afford medical bills until November.
I'm super worried my organs will fail... what do i do??? :/ please help

Velvet
12-10-17, 10:33
Hi

So sorry for your struggles..
I had a very high reading of blood pressure a number of years ago ...so I know a little about my experiences to relay to you.
Your blood pressure was more than likely very high because of where you were. Mine kept doing the same whenever I went to get it checked at my drs ��
After some checks via the dr I was put on medication to regulate my blood pressure and bring it down..this worked very well,

I don’t know how it works with your medical costs so apologise if what I say is no good...I’m in uk..also I’m not a medical professional , so I’m soeaking from my own experiences..

Your blood pressure may well have gone down after the dentist, often that is the case...once we feel less anxious it begins to subside.
High blood pressure does need checking out and regulating and this can be done. Like any health problem it should be done sooner rather than later..
In the meantime , and this is easy to say and I truly appreciate very difficult to do, but try all the things you do to sooth and distract yourself from feeling anxious about it...and have that check up with the medics as soon as is possible to reassure yourself

Attaching a link with details of how to help with high blood pressure by lifestyle changes, some tips and advice...which look good that you could start and would help
����

---------- Post added at 10:33 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20046974

^^ sorry forgot the link...

Hope this is allowed, I’m new to the forum so not sure of all the rules as yet
Best wishes

Bigboyuk
12-10-17, 11:47
Hi It does seem very high but like some one else has said it was probably that high cause of where you were, do you have access to a monitor thing you can buy them fairly cheaply but would not suggest you check every hr just twice in the day. Can I ask are you over weight as this can cause higher than normal readings? just try and chill a little take care cheers

Fishmanpa
12-10-17, 13:19
You've had high BP issues, blew them off and hint at not living a proper lifestyle to help it. You should see your doctor bout this. Medication and lifestyle changes can easily control it.

Positive thoughts

Shimmy81
12-10-17, 15:18
OK first of all you need to relax.

I’m not a doctor, but do work in the medical profession and have some experience with blood pressure. Both at work and in my own family.

Firstly that reading you got can be classed as “high” however it could be just in isolation and a snapshot. You were probably suffering from white coat syndrome. As Bigboyuk has correctly said you should invest in a cheap no monitor, they are inexpensive nowadays it’s Prudent to have one. How often have you been checking it in the past as you mentioned it’s been high for a while. What were you doing before you took these readings?

What you need to do is take your blood pressure 3 times a day at the same time of day. Each time you do it, take 2-3 readings apart 5 mins apart. Breath normally and you MUST be relaxed. No physical activity at least an hour before, or stressful situations (these can cause it too go up with you being able to do anything about it)

Take the readings of both top and bottom figures, keep doing this for a number off weeks. The normal healthy medical text book bp reading is 120/80 but most people who are treated for for high bp aim to achieve around 140/90. The reading you get may fluctuate throughout the day. The point is to build up a picture of a number of weeks, to see if it’s consistently high or just a one off or when you are stressed etc.

At some point I would say you need to see a doctor, and defo if you get consistently high readings, and esp if the other symptoms you mentioned keep happening or are getting worse. Do you have family history of bp issues? How old are you?

Start making more healthy lifestyle changes, exercise and eat well. Reduce salt in your diet.

Hope this helps.

Fishmanpa
12-10-17, 16:04
Hi It does seem very high but like some one else has said it was probably that high cause of where you were, do you have access to a monitor thing you can buy them fairly cheaply but would not suggest you check every hr just twice in the day. Can I ask are you over weight as this can cause higher than normal readings? just try and chill a little take care cheers

I disagree with a monitor unless ordered by a physician. Self checking is detrimental to those with HA.

The OP stated that he had high BP issues for some time. He also hinted at a less than healthy lifestyle. I have BP issues and take meds to help control them as well as diet. IMO, based on what was posted. A visit to the doctor for an overall check up is in order. If indeed there is an issue, it can be addressed.

Positive thoughts

anxietysmymiddlename
13-10-17, 01:35
Thank you all for the responses, as for the questions asked I am only 18 years old. And i am overweight in the 250s I think. I do have family history of it. My siblings also have high blood pressure and my dad i believe does too.
Today I went on a nice hour long walk and have bought healthy choices to eat and reduced my salt intake.

My brother who is a medical assistant offered to take me to the doctors if what I am currently doing doesn't work in bringing it down.
Thank you all again I really appreciate it.